Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When are you meant to give Easter Eggs, anyway?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
    Easter Monday is a thing here. In fact it's the most important day of the holiday
    In Spain, it depends. School holidays:
    Andalucia 28 de marzo al 5 de abril (ambos inclusive)
    Aragon 29 de marzo al 5 de abril (ambos inclusive)
    Asturias 29 de marzo al 4 de abril (ambos inclusive)
    Baleares 1 al 11 de abril (ambos inclusive)
    Catalunya 27 de marzo al 5 de abril (ambos inclusive)
    Castilla-La Mancha 29 de marzo al 4 de abril (ambos inclusive)
    Castilla y Leon 26 de marzo al 5 de abril (ambos inclusive)
    Canarias 29 de marzo al 2 de abril (ambos inclusive)
    Cantabria 5 al 9 de abril (ambos inclusive)
    Extremadura 29 de marzo al 5 de abril (ambos inclusive)
    Galicia 29 de marzo al 5 de abril (ambos inclusive)
    Comunidad de Madrid 26 de marzo al 5 de abril (ambos inclusive)
    Murcia 29 de marzo al 2 de abril (ambos inclusive)
    Navarra 1 al 11 de abril (ambos inclusive)
    Pais Vasco 1 al 5 de abril (ambos inclusive)
    La Rioja 1 al 9 de abril (ambos inclusive)
    Comunidad Valenciana 1 al 12 de abril (ambos inclusive)
    Ceuta 27 de marzo al 4 de abril (ambos inclusive)
    Melilla 27 de marzo al 4 de abril (ambos inclusive)

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post

Lordy, really? But why?
      Scroll down to Hungary on this page (I'm led to believe that it's a bigger deal in Hungarian speaking Transylvania than it is in Hungary proper)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter_traditions

(The Czech /Slovak tradition on the same page seems... a tad dodgy)

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
        There's appears to be an egg shortage round my way.
        Usually the shelves are bursting with easter eggs and those Lindt rabbits until a week after Easter.
        Went food shopping last night so I was going to get the cub an egg then.
        None in Waitrose. Literally none.
        One broken one in the Co-op
        One vegan egg and one kit kat peanut butter (bleugh) in Tesco metro.

I didn't dare try Diddlydee as 3 shops worth of covid exposure was quite enough and they probably only sell "Chocolike" or "Mockolate" eggs or some other sort of chocolate flavoured artificial polymer substance.
        I dunno. I went into the local Tesco Metro the other day and they seemed to be selling nothing but Easter eggs and Lindt rabbits. On the other hand, since then I've seen people carrying quantities of eggs not seen since similar with bog rolls in March 2020, so perhaps there's been a good old British panic buy going on.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
          Scroll down to Hungary on this page (I'm led to believe that it's a bigger deal in Hungarian speaking Transylvania than it is in Hungary proper)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter_traditions

(The Czech /Slovak tradition on the same page seems... a tad dodgy)
          Aha, so there's extra not-god stuff going on which happens on the Monday? Interesting. Obviously eggs are nowt to do wi' god, of course. But the days off here are Friday cos god, then Monday cos it would be Sunday cos god but "we don't work Sunday" anyway, so Monday cos god in lieu.

The Hungary stuff sounds pretty dodgy to me. I'll now go read the Czech.

Oh, ok, that's dodgier, for sure. Don't people just go "fuck off"?

Comment

Is that...Lidl?
            Yup.

Comment

We need jameswba's view on the alleged Slovak "tradition", which was never even hinted at in the Slovak half of my family

Comment

Also, Cantabria appears to be taking the piss out of the Church

More power to them

Comment

Aha, so there's extra not-god stuff going on which happens on the Monday? Interesting. Obviously eggs are nowt to do wi' god, of course. But the days off here are Friday cos god, then Monday cos it would be Sunday cos god but "we don't work Sunday" anyway, so Monday cos god in lieu.

The Hungary stuff sounds pretty dodgy to me. I'll now go read the Czech.

Oh, ok, that's dodgier, for sure. Don't people just go "fuck off"?
                  Oh yeah it's all spring and fertility stuff (as are eggs, rabbits, lambs, etc) nothing goddish. The water bit of the process is very minor. It's really all about visiting, chatting and (for adults) drinking

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                    Also, Cantabria appears to be taking the piss out of the Church

More power to them
                    Do other countries have different school holidays at Easter according to the region?

Comment

Balderdasha's kids broke up a few days earlier than the cub.
                      So it happens here sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post

Do other countries have different school holidays at Easter according to the region?
                        We do because different regions often have different Easters. This year orthodox Easter is the first weekend of May

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post

As you know, all German school holidays vary by state

This isn't the case with Easter holidays in Italy, though other holidays not tied to a religious festival can vary

The US is a complete free for all, with calendars varying from town to town and start and end dates varying by more than two months across the country

Comment

Originally posted by Capybara View Post
                            I dunno. I went into the local Tesco Metro the other day and they seemed to be selling nothing but Easter eggs and Lindt rabbits. On the other hand, since then I've seen people carrying quantities of eggs not seen since similar with bog rolls in March 2020, so perhaps there's been a good old British panic buy going on.
                            Easter egg sales are apparently up 50% on last year.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/business-56574794

I'd like to know how they compare with 2019 sales. Maybe in 2020 people were being more sensible and not considering chocolate eggs to be "essential" shopping.

I can't really get on my high horse though. I went to Sainsbury's yesterday (on the way back from doing some essential jobs in town by myself) and bought chocolate eggs, two packs of socks, Easter bags and napkins, a bunch of tulips, an egg sandwich for lunch for myself, and a bag of croissants for breakfast for the kids today. As I was putting it all through the till it did occur to me that absolutely none of that was "essential".

Comment

Everyone's going to Granny's this year, aren't they, cos she's been vaccinated.

Comment

I will write an Easter egg hunt again this year. Well actually, I have to write two as otherwise my daughter will get all the eggs. So my son will have visual clues to seven tokens with the letters of his name with little eggs sellotaped to them and my daughter will have written clues to seven tokens with the letters of her name on (conveniently they both have seven letters in their first name, this is a convention I developed years ago to avoid arguments about who gets how many mini eggs). The clues for my daughter will be approaching cryptic crossword level complexity as she'll otherwise declare it "too easy / babyish". It will still disappoint her as what she actually wants is a day long treasure hunt which takes us around the entire town, culminating in her having to dig in the sandpit in the park for a treasure chest containing the final full size Easter egg. I've told her that this is not going to happen but she continues to hope.

Comment

My husband informs me that Good Friday in Arabic is "Sad Friday" which seems more apt.

As well as the egg hunt, we'll also do dyed boiled eggs at some point over the weekend and a big Sunday roast because that's what my husband's family always did. I quite like combining our traditions (not particularly difficult as his family is Catholic and mine was Church of England / atheist).

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                                    Everyone's going to Granny's this year, aren't they, cos she's been vaccinated.
                                    I don't know. Our grannies have only had the first jab so far, but I guess that will encourage a lot of people to mingle more.

Comment

I mean, Easter isn't really a big deal, it's just some days off, and you get chocolate. But there's isn't much of a thing about it, not for me anyway. Dad's place is too small for many visitors, so we'd take it in turns to go anyway even if everything was all fine. Which of course it isn't. So no.

Comment

In my husband's family, Easter was the 'big/important' festival and Christmas was the 'little' one.

Comment

Were they big into the god thing?

Comment

Were they big into the god thing?
                                            Yes, they're fairly religious, but not fastidiously or overbearingly so. They would have liked if we got married in a church (we didn't) and if our children were baptised (they're not. That would have been an absolute minefield to navigate as I'm atheist and our first choice of godparent would have been Sikh) but they wouldn't force it on us. My mother-in-law prays for me if I'm ill and I sent her into my son's nursery to read the nativity story and talk about the fact that they're from Bethlehem (pre-Covid). But they know that I'm atheist and don't hold it against me at all.

Comment

My husband considers himself to be sort of culturally Catholic. He hasn't been to confession since he was a teenager and has rarely attended a church for any other reason since then, but he marked himself as Catholic on the census and he believes in the concepts of god / souls / afterlife far more than I do (I think you just die and are dead and there is nothing, like when you're asleep but not dreaming).

Comment

In our local Co-op, they didn't have a dedicated spot for the Easter eggs, so they put them on top of the lager / cider multipacks. Ever since, those of us who enjoy alcohol multipacks have been playing a complicated game of Jenga as we try to get our tenpack of Thatchers Cloudy without knocking everything over. In these joyless times, it is becoming quite a high point of my day out.

Comment

Back to the "third day" business. Why is that even a question.

On the first day (Friday), he was crucified.
                                                  On he second day (Saturday) he was in the tomb.
                                                  On the third day (day) he rose again.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X