Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When are you meant to give Easter Eggs, anyway?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When are you meant to give Easter Eggs, anyway?

Is it when they nailed him up (tomorrow)? Or when he came back and said "I'm alright actually lads, not a bother at all" (Sunday)? And what is Easter Monday for?

Rogin and Adrian Chiles. Never seen in the same place at the same time.

Comment

I think that's pretty accurate, actually. Although I am not ever going to go sober like poor old Adrian.

Comment

I thought he was dead for three days and the stone was rolled away and he rose again, which would make it Monday. The gospels though are not clear. Some are reference o “three days and three nights” others say “on the third day “ so it could be Sunday or Monday when Jesus rose again
        Last edited by DPDPDPDP; 01-04-2021, 14:40.

Comment

We’ve been eating the Fazer solid chocolate mignon eggs ever since the bulk order arrived from Finland about three weeks ago.

Kids get theirs on Sunday, but that’s only because I do the big shop on Saturday morning

Comment

Originally posted by DPDPDPDP View Post
            I thought he was dead for three days and the stone was rolled away and he rose again...
            Thought you were on about Adrian Chiles for a second there...

Comment

The wise would make the eggs thing for Easter Monday in the UK. It is a holiday and gives you a full day of buying discounted eggs.

Comment

I haven't finished my advent calendar yet, so I probably shouldn't bother with an easter egg

Comment

For children - give during Holy Week, preferably Maundy Thursday - open on Easter Sunday

Comment

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post
                    I haven't finished my advent calendar yet, so I probably shouldn't bother with an easter egg
                    Bloody hell pebbs, I didn't have you down as a man for such monastic rationing of pleasures.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post
                      For children - give during Holy Week, preferably Maundy Thursday - open on Easter Sunday

Is that deliberately meant to echo the suffering of Our Lord?

Comment

The "on the third day" thing is always a bit of an odd one, isn't it? Nobody suggests any normal Sunday is the 'third day' from Friday, yet anyone brought up with the conventional way of viewing the Easter story will automatically be able to hold this bit of doublethink in their head.

Eggs around here seem to be discounted already, at least when I looked in Tesco a night or two ago.

And for what it's worth, I started eating my Mini Eggs yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
                          The "on the third day" thing is always a bit of an odd one, isn't it? Nobody suggests any normal Sunday is the 'third day' from Friday, yet anyone brought up with the conventional way of viewing the Easter story will automatically be able to hold this bit of doublethink in their head.
                          If we start at 1, what's the third number?

it's kind of ambiguous. Does "within seven working days" include the first day?

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                            If we start at 1, what's the third number?
                            Oh, yes obviously it works if regarded that way. It's just that virtually nobody would generally start counting days like that, because you'd start from tomorrow normally – i.e. the first full day.

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
                              Oh, yes obviously it works if regarded that way. It's just that virtually nobody would generally start counting days like that, because you'd start from tomorrow normally – i.e. the first full day.
                              Yes, but you’re talking about something that was written 2,000 years ago and not in English, so language and interpretation of words will be different. Even in the Bible , there are inconsistencies. Is some passages, it mentions “the third day” in others it states “after three days and three nights”. Here, Friday would be classed as day 1.

Comment

According to the Wiki page devoted to Good Friday, there are some who take the 3 days/nights thing literally

>>>>Some Baptist congregations,[116] the Philadelphia Church of God,[117] and some non-denominational churches oppose the observance of Good Friday, regarding it as a papist tradition, and instead observe the Crucifixion of Jesus on Wednesday to coincide with the Jewish sacrifice of the Passover Lamb (which some/many Christians believe is an Old Testament pointer to Jesus Christ). A Wednesday Crucifixion of Jesus allows for him to be in the tomb ("heart of the earth") for three days and three nights as he told the Pharisees he would be (Matthew 12:40), rather than two nights and a day (by inclusive counting, as was the norm at that time) if he had died on a Friday.[118][119] Preparation Day (14 Nisan on the Hebrew calendar) – which is the day before Passover (15 Nisan), instead of the Friday morning as the Synoptic Gospels refer to the sabbath and they believe this refers to a "high sabbath" which occurs on feast days, and not the ordinary weekly sabbath.<<<<

But most people interpret the gospels as died on Friday, still dead Saturday (although no one checked as it was the Shabbat), stone rolled away and no Jesus Sunday morning when the two Marys went to check.

And I wouldn't bank on there being any left over chocolate on the Monday - certainly my company always runs out - we received a final shipment of 8 pallets this morning, which were all gone by lunchtime.

And the answer to the OP is "at Easter".

Comment

It's Big Friday today (in both Hungarian and Romanian - though to add a bit of complexity today is not Big Friday to most Romanians, who are Orthodox and will be Bigging it up 4 weeks from now) so have either a good Big Friday or a big Good Friday.

In Bulgarian (though see above re orthodoxers) it apparently is called Crucified Friday which somehow manages to be both prosaic and graphic

Comment

Do Romanian and Hungarian have the same issue with one word being used for both Big and Great as do other European languages?

Comment

Yes, I think both Nagyp?ntek and Vinerea Mare are probably more properly translated as Great Friday, but I prefer Big Friday (which is in both cases the more obvious literal translation)

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post
                                        I can see that working well, yeah. "Here's some chocolate, don't eat it for a few days".

"Easter Monday" isn't a thing. Good Friday is not a day for celebrating, you blasphemous scum. The eggs are for Easter Sunday.

Comment

I love hating the very sight and smell of chocolate, It's so liberating.

Comment

Easter Monday is a thing here. In fact it's the most important day of the holiday

Comment

There's appears to be an egg shortage round my way.
                                              Usually the shelves are bursting with easter eggs and those Lindt rabbits until a week after Easter.
                                              Went food shopping last night so I was going to get the cub an egg then.
                                              None in Waitrose. Literally none.
                                              One broken one in the Co-op
                                              One vegan egg and one kit kat peanut butter (bleugh) in Tesco metro.

I didn't dare try Diddlydee as 3 shops worth of covid exposure was quite enough and they probably only sell "Chocolike" or "Mockolate" eggs or some other sort of chocolate flavoured artificial polymer substance.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                                                I love hating the very sight and smell of chocolate, It's so liberating.
                                                I wish I did.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                                  Easter Monday is a thing here. In fact it's the most important day of the holiday
                                                  Lordy, really? But why?

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
                                                  I didn't dare try Diddlydee
                                                  Is that...Lidl?

Comment

Working...
                                                  X