No announcement yet.

Cymru, comme ca - 2021 Senedd election

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So A-levels were a long time ago but as far as I recall the idea is more people vote for the party they actually like regardless of whether they would win, so you get higher voting percentages for parties that usually get their votes taken by tactical votes.

I've just googled what STV is and realised it's the system used in the Scottish Parliament.

I'm not massively convinced of the need to change. I quite like the list system although obviously the way some Members have switched parties is irritating. I guess under STV you could force by-elections to put an end to that chicanery.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
      So A-levels were a long time ago but as far as I recall the idea is more people vote for the party they actually like regardless of whether they would win, so you get higher voting percentages for parties that usually get their votes taken by tactical votes.

I've just googled what STV is and realised it's the system used in the Scottish Parliament.

I'm not massively convinced of the need to change. I quite like the list system although obviously the way some Members have switched parties is irritating. I guess under STV you could force by-elections to put an end to that chicanery.
      Scotland uses the same additional member system (i.e. a constituency vote, and a vote for a multi-member region) as Wales I think. Wikipedia says they use STV for local elections. The Oireachtas uses STV.
      Last edited by Bizarre Löw Triangle; 07-04-2021, 12:43.

Comment

That's the idea of course, but here for instance, once people vote for their main party, they often use their transfers as much to unseat parties they dislike than for any positive reasons (i.e. traditionally FG and Labour would transfer to each other to minimise FF seat numbers even when it made more ideological sense to go elsewhere), and of course the sizeable proportion of Independents elected shows the potential for localism/protest votes under the system. By-elections are actually much rarer here than in the UK, as they only tend to occur when a TD dies, or else if they resign, largely upon election to the European Parliament (most retirements happen upon the calling of a general election), so changing of party affiliation doesn't trigger one here, either. I'd still consider it the best of all electoral systems, certainly compared with a PR list, for instance, but worth mentioning both pros and cons.

Comment

Originally posted by Bizarre Löw Triangle View Post

Scotland uses the same additional member system (i.e. a constituency vote, and a vote for a multi-member region) as Wales I think. Wikipedia says they use STV for local elections.
          Stormont elections use STV also.

Comment

Originally posted by Bizarre Löw Triangle View Post

Scotland uses the same additional member system (i.e. a constituency vote, and a vote for a multi-member region) as Wales I think. Wikipedia says they use STV for local elections. The Oireachtas uses STV.
            Right. The Electoral Reform Society page said it was used in Scotland and I thought they meant the Parliament.

Comment

In terms of the cost of additional Senedd Members, this is doing the rounds on da socials

Comment

Powys loves the Senedd. It's official.

https://twitter.com/WalesMaps/status/1379876358768234499?s=19

Comment

Behind the scenes in the Abolish the Welsh Assembly Party supporters group on Facebook.

https://twitter.com/cwlcymro/status/1379547743199301636?s=19

Comment

They seem nice

Comment

Wale's loss is England's gain.

Comment

Tbh I hope all the ones who say they're going to leave follow through on that promise

Comment

They never do though.

Comment

What are Plaid Cymru playing at here? What's it meant to mean beyond a reference to one of the most racist electon campaings in British history?

https://twitter.com/POC4INDY/status/1380289527869227008

Comment

That's bloody awful. Christ. Is it real?

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                                That's bloody awful. Christ. Is it real?
                                Apparently so.

Comment

Yeah. It was stupid. Although likely to get buried now that Phil's dead and campaigning is suspended for the weekend.

Comment

For stats anoraks like yours truly, the gulf between Scotland and Wales in terms of opinion polls released is most frustrating. Granted, only one Welsh company actually conducts them, but surely one a fortnight wouldn't be too much to ask for during an election period?

Comment

So far we had had 2 pieces of post each from Plaid Cymru and Labour, a leaflet from the Electoral Commission explaining about voting and another one from the Senedd encouraging people to vote.

There's also a Police & Crime Commissioners election on the same day. I've had nothing through the door about that.

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post
                                        For stats anoraks like yours truly, the gulf between Scotland and Wales in terms of opinion polls released is most frustrating. Granted, only one Welsh company actually conducts them, but surely one a fortnight wouldn't be too much to ask for during an election period?
                                        I mean this is part of the problem about Wales not being taken seriously. Why would anyone care what those scruffy leak-eaters are up to?

Comment

https://twitter.com/HazzaR1997/status/1382812112565776392?s=19

Comment

There was a segment on yesterday's Newsnight​​​​​​, incidentally.

Comment

This is a good political profiler for the elections - I just put Cardiff Central as a generic constituency, answered according to my general political leanings, and it transpires that I'm fairly even between Green and Plaid. Of course, as with all such profilers, if you only "agree" with a question, rather than "completely" agreeing, it weakens the extent of your alignment (or disalignment) with any party.

Comment

The whole "vote for policies" this is a bit ludicrous, mind. It tends to entail believing manifestos. Which, you know.

Comment

There are some very specific promises being made by Plaid that have me going "hmmmmm, really?". They want to recruit 1000 new doctors, which given that not all of them are full time these days means something like 1500 doctors. And where are you going to get them from? I mean, NHS Wales could do what it's always done and recruit them from India, but that is ethically dubious. You could create more training places but those new docs wont be in tber service for a fee years, and then at trainee level requiring supervision. They could decide to pay more than doctors get in England, but that's a problem as doctors get a lot of money already. So let's say you can get doctors for ?75,000 each, that's ?75,000,000 on doctors. And really is that the best way to invest in the NHS? I'd query tha,t and I work in the NHS. You know what doctors complain about most? Boring admin tasks. Emails. Having to input data multiple times. Computer systems that don't talk to each other. All that deeply unsexy stuff that gets cut whenever there's a media war on "management waste".

Comment

Plaid are populist wanks like the rest of them is the lesson. See also the Nats. Having Toytown parliaments encourages this kind of promise making though, lacking effective fiscal responsibility or powers parties will promise what is most vote winnery possible within the budgets Westminster grants.

The Nats got their foothold at a Holyrood in 2007 partly from the bullshit promises of freezing council tax (unfortunately they kept this promise for years), while continuing/starting free Tuition (but also effectively abolishing maintenance grants) and free prescriptions.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X