No announcement yet.

Hooray for Holyrood! – Scottish Parliament Elections 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Struggling to think of who the "others" could actually be, if Gorgeous George doesn't rate enough to officially register.

Comment

YouGov seems more in line with recent polling:

https://twitter.com/BallotBoxScot/status/1385195343848038405

https://twitter.com/BallotBoxScot/status/1385198824948486146

Comment

And another...
        https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1385212337108492290

Comment

The pubs are open again in Scotland, so Douglas Ross went for a half lager top at lunchtime and then did this...
          https://twitter.com/indy_swim/status/1386682463355817987

Comment

The man is a fucking tool.

Comment

Leaders' debate on C4 News tonight. Douglas Ross is an absolute arsehole.

Comment

Another one? Is that three?

Comment

Any excuse for DRoss to get his arse handed to him again.

Comment

Douglas Ross is an obnoxious, angry, sweaty man.
                    I'm not sure that the 45 minute debate will have done anything to shift votes in any significant numbers, but Anas Sarwar might just be the leader to slowly rebuild Scottish Labour by turning a couple of List seats red.
                    At every opportunity, on any subject, Ross and Rennie swung the debate back to the constitution, and the resultant bickering may well put off some of the 'undecided's' from voting SNP (or at all) next Thursday. Which was probably their plan all along.

Anyhow, it's here if anyone fancies watching. The debate starts about 12:30 in.
                    https://www.channel4.com/programmes/...mand/72247-117

Comment

I fucking despise Willie Rennie. The unacceptable face of Fuckin Big Fermer Fife.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                        I fucking despise Willie Rennie. The unacceptable face of Fuckin Big Fermer Fife.
                        He's always very pleased with himself, but having taken the LibDems from 16 MSP's in 2011 to 5 MSP's in 2021, he's got nothing to be smug about.

There was a bizarre moment at 28:50 when (again) discussing the constitution, Willie Rennie seemed to suggest that if the voters in his North East Fife constituency return him as an MSP, then that is a clear mandate for him to reject IndyRef2, regardless of how the remainder of Scotland votes.
                        Last edited by The Red Max; 28-04-2021, 10:03.

Comment

I remember when the Scottish Lib Dem cunts were actually radical on the constitution, now they just play the red white and blue underpants card, and perfect their clientelist pork barrel shite in Orkney and Shetland. NE Fife was always Tory but too polite to say it from the days of fuckin Menzies as MP (1983! That dreary cunt hung around forever).
                          Last edited by Lang Spoon; 28-04-2021, 11:59.

Comment

(It also has "Scottish Parliament Elections" in the title)

Comment

Very long New Yorker article on Nicola Sturgeon

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...m=TNY_Magazine

Comment

So, 2 more days of campaigning to go, and it all seems to have been a bit of a damp squib to be honest.
                                Polls have fluctuated a bit here and there, but overall my impression is that the overwhelming majority of minds were made up a long time ago.

There's a final Leaders' debate on the BBC tonight at 7.50pm, where I'd expect Sarwar, DRoss and Rennie to have a final pile-on to Nicola Sturgeon, but the sight of "grown-up" men shouting angrily at a woman is pretty unpleasant, but somehow acceptable in 21st century Scottish politics. I expect DRoss to get VERY sweaty indeed.
                                Pleasingly, Salmond won't be involved at all.

The Scots Tories may have scored a bit of an own goal this week in a Twitter message, when they declared that an SNP majority guaranteed IndyRef2. I'm not sure that's the message CCHQ were looking to get across.
                                Labour have consolidated, the LibDems may improve marginally from their current low-water mark, which won't change significantly until they ditch the awful Willie Rennie.
                                The Greens look set to gain an extra 4 or 5 List MSP's, and Alba might sneak in with a couple (but hopefully not).

Locally, my constituency of Aberdeenshire West is a target for the SNP, but I think that the sitting Tory will hold on and probably increase his majority. Fucking mental I know, but farmers are exposed to a lot of chemicals in their daily work.
                                The NE Scotland List will probably see the Tories get 4 MSP's, despite fucking over the various fishing communities with empty promises and blatant lies. Fucking mental I know, but long trips at sea do strange things to a persons mind.

I'll give my thoughts on the Leaders' debate, and a wild prediction of the highly predictable outcome tomorrow.

Comment

When you want YouGov to be most accurate:

https://twitter.com/BallotBoxScot/status/1389623218227531777

Comment

That would be great.

Comment

DRoss is slowly simmering, unable to shoehorn the words "divisive referendum" into the debate.

*EDIT*
                                      So, the debate didn't really tell us anything we didn't already know, apart from maybe that all parties (with the exception of the Tories) think that a new Royal Yacht is a ludicrous political stunt by Boris.
                                      It was a bizarre topic to have come up, but there was similar broad consensus on quite a few topics:
                                      A tougher stance on international travel than is being suggested for England, no rise in income tax over the next 5 years, and more money for health & care services.
                                      They are all looking forward to be able to meet and hug their families when the pandemic is over, except the Green Partys' Patrick Harvie, who's desperate to go to a beer festival. My kind of guy.
                                      The hostility between Nicola Sturgeon & Douglas Ross is clear to see, but it's interesting that Anas Sarwar seems to be the one that lands the real point-scoring jibes towards Ross. Sarwar knows where Ross is vulnerable away from the topic of the constitution, and usually picks his moments well.

The debate moderator for the BBC, Glenn Campbell, seems to be getting a fair bit of scorn on social media for his handling of the proceedings. But overall I thought he did a decent job - much better than his colleague Sarah Smith.

Judge for yourselves here:
                                      https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...ebate-04052021
                                      Last edited by The Red Max; 05-05-2021, 09:45.

Comment

Final poll round-up from Ballot Box Scotland
                                        https://twitter.com/BallotBoxScot/status/1389903284119408640

Comment

I'm not sure the average is much more meaningful than any particular poll, tbh. Interesting that they are a bit all over the place when compared to each other. Be interesting to look at any trend lines for individual pollsters though.

Comment

There's 6 hours left to vote, but speaking to one of the officials at the local Polling Station earlier, turnout could be low.
                                            The weather isn't helping, but there's clearly a lot of voter apathy out there.
                                            Counting in Scotland doesn't start until Friday morning and the result won't be finalised until Saturday afternoon at the earliest.

But for what it's worth (which is very little) my prediction is:
                                            SNP to dominate the constituency vote, but narrowly fail to get an overall majority through the List vote.
                                            Tories & Labour to each lose some ground, with the Greens picking up the losses.
                                            Lib Dems - no change.
                                            Alba - zero.

So a decent pro-Indy majority in Holyrood, but not the ringing endorsement that Nicola Sturgeon would need to put the fear into Boris.
                                            Which might actually embolden him to agree to Indyref2?
                                            It was Camerons' hubris after 2014 that led to the daft twat thinking he could see off UKIP over Brexit after putting Alex Salmond back in his box.
                                            It's entirely possible, if not probable, that Boris will choose to feed his ego and personally "save the union", whilst completely forgetting that he's as welcome north of the border as Nish Kumar at a Britain First cheese & wine evening.
                                            Last edited by The Red Max; 06-05-2021, 15:19.

Comment

https://twitter.com/no1guncle/status/1390340110089129993

Comment

https://twitter.com/NicolaSturgeon/status/1390364504391884806

referring to this. You just know Starmer would have equivocated for fear of offending Oop North Man.

Comment

Originally posted by The Red Max View Post
                                                  There's 6 hours left to vote, but speaking to one of the officials at the local Polling Station earlier, turnout could be low.
                                                  The weather isn't helping, but there's clearly a lot of voter apathy out there.
                                                  There seems to be agreement among all parties that turnout seems to actually have been reasonably good, perhaps even "high".
                                                  Messaging a friend this morning, there was apparently a real surge at our local Polling Station after 7.00pm with a long queue, and people suffering an hours wait in the intermittent sunshine, rain & hailstones to get in. There was still a queue at 10.00pm when the poll closed, but everyone who had joined the queue by that time was allowed to cast their vote.
                                                  My gut feeling is that a high turnout probably favours the SNP, but results should start coming through mid-afternoon which will give a better indication.

Comment

Hope you are right, I'm shiteing it we are seeing a high turnout of Tory cunts and Anyone But Nats. Hopefully no, and hopefully allowing anyone resident aged over 16 has seen good turnout with refugees, EU citizens, non-EU citizens, ver kids... none of whom seem Tory or Tory adjacent.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X