Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hooray for Holyrood! – Scottish Parliament Elections 2021

So, here we go again.

In the yellow corner, currently weighing in at 61 MSPs is ‘Nippy’ Nicola Sturgeon and the Scottish National Party.
    Facing her in the blue corner, with a total of 30 MSPs comes Douglas (call me Murray) Ross and his Scottish Conservative & Unionist Party.
    And in the red corner, currently with 23 MSPs, but hoping to become the outright challenger is ‘Babyface’ Anas Sarwar and the festering cadaver of Scottish Labour.

Meanwhile, on the under-card, we have the Scottish Green Party of Patrick ‘Treehugger’ Harvie & Willie ‘What’s the f*cking point of me’ Rennie’s Scottish Liberal Democrats both with 5 MSPs.

Seconds out, Round One!
    *Ding*

https://twitter.com/SteveNickSmith/status/1375117042844635140?s=20

Comment

Has there been any polling since parliament rose?

Comment

Well, it is Glenn Campbell. There are good BBC journalists covering Scottish politics (well, Phillip Sim), then there's wee Glenn.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
          None that I've found, but there's this from 23rd March.
          https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1374328709113593863

Comment

I think it's important to give recognition to a good stroke when you see it.

Comment

The latest one I can see is the BMG/Herald from 16-19 March, which suggested an SNP majority but only just. I can't read the New Statesman story that tweet is based on, as I've reached my free limit for this week, apparently.

Comment

The Ballot Box Scotland website is excellent, and give regular polling updates on Twitter.

Comment

That is very good.

I only skimmed it but would I be correct in thinking that all local elections in Scotland are conducted on the basis of PR rather than FPTP?

Comment

Local council elections use STV and Scottish parliament elections use additional member

Comment

And thankfully the franchise for all but General Elections is a devolved matter and not reserved to Westminster, so the bastards would have to be really brazen trying to pull the FPTP stunt like they are with the London Assembly.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                        Local council elections use STV and Scottish parliament elections use additional member
                        Ta.

Comment

Parliament uses, as mentioned, an additional member (or top-up) system, following the d'Hondt method (not quite the same as the GLA, which uses a modified d'Hondt) within regional lists. There is no formal threshold for list representation, but there is in practice a threshold of around 5% in each region.

Comment

Parliament uses, as mentioned, an additional member (or top-up) system, following the d'Hondt method (not quite the same as the GLA, which uses a modified d'Hondt) within regional lists. There is no formal threshold for list representation, but there is in practice a threshold of around 5% in each region.
                            Indeed, looking at the 2016 results, there were three regions where the Greens just fell short last time, on 4.7-4.9%, so would seem natural pick-ups on this occasion. Somewhat of a quirk of the system in Mid Scotland and Fife, however, where they gained a seat despite fewer votes than the Lib Dems - presumably the SNP transfers were stronger than those from the Unionist parties?

Comment

It's not about transfers, no. It's about the required topping up. The Liberals won one seat in the region on the constituency vote, which is all their performance deserved, so they got nowt via the list. Whereas the Greens didn't win a constituency seat, but their performance did deserve one seat, so they got it via the list.

Comment

Anyway, the sex pest is starting his own party, to try to fuck up the SNP I assume. I wonder who will benefit.

Comment

Comment

Comment

They're only standing for List" seats apparently, so probably won't damage the SNP too significantly.
                                      But still, what a pr*ck.

Comment

I'm surprised Salmond himself hasn't gone for a constituency.

Comment

Because he knows he'd lose, probably handing the seat to the Tories into the bargain.

Comment

It's not about transfers, no. It's about the required topping up. The Liberals won one seat in the region on the constituency vote, which is all their performance deserved, so they got nowt via the list. Whereas the Greens didn't win a constituency seat, but their performance did deserve one seat, so they got it via the list.

I believe that this is why the Alba Party is just standing via the lists. They're hoping to win seats that the SNP wouldn't have because of their expected success in the constituencies.

Comment

It's either, on his part, a shocking misunderstanding of the voting system, or a big fat lie. I'm not certain that he understands it, but I know he's a liar.

Comment

It'll give the Yer Da Alliance something to be pleased about, but will most likely fuck the Nats in regions where they might be in contention for a list seat. Wonder what the loathsome Cherry and McNeill will do now their King is back, I'd say Cherry still fancies she can unseat Sturgeon so will stay SNP.
                                                Last edited by Lang Spoon; 26-03-2021, 16:13.

Comment

Oh this must mean Tamsin is back too! All the greats.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X