English regional fast food specialities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

English regional fast food specialities

So, on the Sir Keith thread there was a tangential comment about Kelly Rowland visiting Teesside and eating a parmo. Thanks to ursus I now know who KR is. And thanks to the internet I've managed to find out what a parmo is. Takes its name from chicken parmigiana apparently, though its sauce is apparently cheddar-based with no actual parmesan.

I'd always vaguely assumed that popular fast food in England would be pretty much the same around the whole country, but evidently not.

Any other regional favourites I ought to know about?

There's a "Sheffield Fishcake" which is fish, sandwiched between two slices of potato, battered and fried. (then usually eaten inside a breadcake - that's a roll to most people)

Comment

I don't eat fish but if I was going to eat fish again I'd want to eat a Sheffield Fishcake.

Comment

We may have done this recently (or the way time moves these days it could have been years ago). The parmo has spread out from Teesside in recent years - we've been able to get them here for the last decade or so, and a lot of places in Newcastle do them (and many other places in the North East, I expect).

Anyway Cumbria's contribution to this is the patty/pattie - a ball of usually either mince, onion & potato (meat pattie) or cheese, onion & potato (cheese pattie) coated in batter and deep fried.

I knew this term long before I first encountered the term "hamburger patty" so imagine my confusion and disappointment etc.

Comment

You may ask what is Bolton's contribution to world cuisine? Ladies and genetlemen, I give you the pasty barm.

Comment

Originally posted by Evariste Euler Gauss View Post
            So, on the Sir Keith thread there was a tangential comment about Kelly Rowland visiting Teesside and eating a parmo.
            As an aside, last time I visited Teeside, I got food poisoning.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post

We may have done this recently (or the way time moves these days it could have been years ago).

https://www.onetouchfootball.com/for...-regional-food

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post

As an aside, last time I visited Teeside​​​​​​, I got food poisoning.
                Oo. Oo. Miss! Miss!

Comment

Faggots and peas (pronounced 'pays') endures in the Black Country. 'Faggots' are something I think of my Granny buying in the 1960s, before hamburgers hit Ireland

Comment

As an aside, last time I visited Teeside, I got food poisoning.
                    Travellers always need to ease into the local cuisine when visiting exotic locales

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                      There's a "Sheffield Fishcake" which is fish, sandwiched between two slices of potato, battered and fried. (then usually eaten inside a breadcake - that's a roll to most people)
                      Bollocks.

They're bread buns.

(Only soft southern shandy drinking bastads call them rolls.)

Comment

When I was little and growing up in Yorkshire you could tell a 'proper' fish and chip shop by what you got if you ordered a fishcake. If you got one of the orange breadcrumby things then you weren't in a 'proper' fish and chip shop and you could probably expect to be able to buy other things such as a sausage, or a pie and, ffs, gravy. If you were in a 'proper' fish and chip shop then your fishcake would be as described in ad hoc's post but without the 'Sheffield' bit. It was known simply as a 'fishcake'.
                        Last edited by Capybara; 19-03-2021, 11:27.

Comment

You may ask what is Bolton's contribution to world cuisine? Ladies and genetlemen, I give you the pasty barm.

Daniel Dann used to go on about the best breakfast food in his birthplace (Skopje). It was called simit pogacha or something, and was like your pasty barm, only the pasty didn't have any filling. So it was a pasty-crust sandwich, I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by Capybara View Post
                            When I was little and growing up in Yorkshire you could tell a 'proper' fish and chip shop by what you got if you ordered a fishcake. If you got one of the orange breadcrumby things then you weren't in a 'proper' fish and chip shop and you could probably expect to be able to buy other things such as a sausage, or a pie and, ffs, gravy. If you were in a 'proper' fish and chip shop then your fish cake would be as described in ad hoc's post but without the 'Sheffield' bit. It was known simply as a 'fishcake'.
                            Donny they were the orange breadcrumby things.

But moving to Sheffield I discovered this new foodstuff called "chips and fish"

As I've said previously, in Leeds fish and chips is haddock and chips, and also in Scarborough as the local vendors cater to the tourist trade.

Comment

Burek in a bun

https://www.atlasobscura.com/foods/s...bread-sandwich

Comment

The best local thing for me and it is delicious too, hot or cold.
                                https://www.lifeofpies.co.uk/buy/one...-of-st-helens/

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight Shadow View Post
                                  The best local thing for me and it is delicious too, hot or cold.
                                  https://www.lifeofpies.co.uk/buy/one...-of-st-helens/

Any list of pie shops that doesn't include Taylor's shouldn't be considered

https://www.taylorsbutchers.com/prod...ies/pork-pies/

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                    Yes, that seems to be it.

Daniel used to eat like a horse. Before he clocked on between one and two, he'd have had his pastry sandwich for breakfast and his lunch (which, he said, was usually a packet of 15 fish fingers and a jar of those awful sweetened pumpkin slices that people seem to like).

At three o'clock, he'd then unpack a box of sandwiches that weighed more than he did.

Then there was the barbecued meat and the cake that party-goers in the park gave him as a thank-you gesture for his having told them to fuck off.

And at knocking-off time, he'd go to the Greek restaurant near his gaff and eat half a farmyard and a field of potatoes.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post
                                      Donny they were the orange breadcrumby things.
                                      But moving to Sheffield I discovered this new foodstuff called "chips and fish"
                                      As I've said previously, in Leeds fish and chips is haddock and chips, and also in Scarborough as the local vendors cater to the tourist trade.
                                      Ah yes. I usually forget that some people have fish other than haddock.

Comment

A hot black pudding off Chadwick’s (not the Bury Black Pudding Company interlopers) on the market on a winter’s day is a thing of beauty.

Comment

This on regional chippies is good

Comment

I'm 99.9% sure that Oxford has absolutely nothing to offer here. I could offer a huge number of regional and local fast food specialities in the US. Can I do that here, or does it need its own thread, or have I done it often enough already?

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                              So, that's a protein inside some carbs, sandwiched between some carbs, sandwiched between some carbs.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post
                                                Faggots and peas (pronounced 'pays') endures in the Black Country. 'Faggots' are something I think of my Granny buying in the 1960s, before hamburgers hit Ireland

Is roast pork a big thing as fast food in the Black Country? When I was making my way to the Hawthorns a few years ago, roast pork vendors seemed to be everywhere.
                                                Last edited by Nocturnal Submission; 19-03-2021, 15:35.

Comment

Originally posted by NHH View Post

So, that's a protein inside some carbs, sandwiched between some carbs, sandwiched between some carbs.
                                                  And with chips perhaps.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X