Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Virtual cards and collection - any recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Virtual cards and collection - any recommendations?

So I've just found out there's a colleague of mine leaving the organisation tomorrow - he's a good guy and has helped a lot of people during his time here (including a major laboratory move), but his boss is a bit of a dick and isn't organising anything by way of a "good luck" card or a present.

It's obviously too short notice to sort out a card and collection the old-fashioned way for this chap, so can anyone recommend any virtual card sites / collection apps so we can thank our departing colleague for his help? TIA.

My company has been using Group Cards: https://groupcards.co.uk/default.aspx - there's an option for "E-Card only" which is free.

Hope this helps!

Comment

It is "leaving season" at our place and the vogue seems to be www.leavingcard.com for the card and the "paypal me" pooling facility. But I've only been a contributor not an organiser, and other facilities may be available.

Comment

Kudoboard is good, but you'll need people who are quite quick to fill it in if you want it for tomorrow.

Comment

We've been using group cards too. Very quick and simple.

Comment

You have no idea how relieved I am this thread is not about NFTs.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
              Ditto

Comment

Thanks all - a combination of Groupcards and a Paypal pool has done the trick, and I've now set both up.

Comment

I assumed that's what it was going to be about

Comment

You need to get on board, then all the hype is value.

Comment

Okay, I'll bite - what the hell are NFTs, and what in my thread title suggested I was talking about them?

Comment

Non-fungible tokens. From what I understand they are bits of video, digital trading cards and similar things with some block chain attached. In many cases it will be possible to view/ download copies without block chain attached, but for some reason that I don't really understand the NFT version apparently has value.

Comment

Now I need to google block chain.

Comment

Reading the Bitcoin thread (now eight years old) from the start can be diverting

Comment

Was that basketball shot (or the video of it? I couldn't tell if it was the video or the shot itself?) that someone bought for hundreds of thousands of dollars an example of an NFT? Something of zero innate value apart from the cachet of saying that you own it?

Comment

Yes

That particular variety of NFTs are all video highlights that are otherwise widely available publicly.

Comment

Are there any examples of an NFT that aren't so patently idiotic? Are there any where the owner has genuine exclusivity?

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                                    Are there any examples of an NFT that aren't so patently idiotic? Are there any where the owner has genuine exclusivity?
                                    NFT's I learned, having said "these sound like Crypto-Kitties", are brought to you by the producers of Crypto-Kitties.

There is a good chance turbo tax will ask if you bought or sold any NFTs next year, to add to their Crypto question.

Comment

I believe that some of the digital art works are unique, or at least identifiably limited in number (like prints)

Comment

I believe the NBA ones are 1/1. The artworks are shared ownership / unique parts of an overall work. None of this helps either make more sense.

Comment

Sort of maybe??

What does it mean to own a Top Shot?

NFT skeptics are quick to point out (correctly) that clips like the one above can be watched on YouTube, Twitter and other places on the Internet. So why to pay to own something anyone can view for free?

The answer is that each NBA Top Shot comes with the equivalent of a unique serial number, registered on the blockchain Top Shot is using (called Flow). So I may have the very same video on my phone that you do but, unlike me, you can prove yours is an official, limited version.

In some cases, there are thousands of a certain Top Shot "moment" available for sale. In other instances, there are only a few. If a Top Shot is more scarce, it will likely be worth more money.

Comment

Well there you go. It gets even dumber. "We will take your money in whichever way you are comfortable giving it to us"

Comment

It is all about acquiring a token that one can sell to a greater fool at a markup

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                                                Are there any where the owner has genuine exclusivity?
                                                Yes, at least in theory. There are artists doing NFT works. Though there are interesting legal questions as to what the owner actually owns and how you would establish that if push came to shove. Which is always the case when it comes to blockchain chain-of-custody solutions - you may have indelible proof that someone somewhere put something on the blockchain, but it doesn't establish that they did so legitimately.

Comment

Also, I apologise for turning this into a thread about NFTs, which is exactly what I didn't want to happen.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X