So. Liberty Steel then

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So. Liberty Steel then

I thought banks were "too big to fail", so their assets are protected, as are the ones held by Liberty?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56331655

Banks were protected because they finance everything else and use everyone’s money to do so.

Liberty Steel wants to appeal to be a strategic UK asset on the basis of metal production in war may be a reason for the govt to keep it going, else they will close plants.

Comment

Hang on, is Greensill the bank that was giving loans to itself (or to entities belonging to its controlling parties)?

Edit: The BBC article says Liberty Steel is in danger because it's bank is in difficulties. But when you look at coverage of the bank, it's in danger because Liberty Steel et all are in difficulties.
      Last edited by Levin; 09-03-2021, 16:42.

Comment

Originally posted by Levin View Post
        Edit: The BBC article says Liberty Steel is in danger because it's bank is in difficulties. But when you look at coverage of the bank, it's in danger because Liberty Steel et all are in difficulties.
        As they say, if you owe the bank ?100, it's your problem, if you owe the bank ?100m, it's their problem. Adjusted for inflation, of course.

Comment

Anyway, assuming you can still access it with free registration, I highly recommend going through FT Alphaville's archives on Greensill and Liberty/GFG. They've been digging into it for years.

Comment

Greensill had a strict policy against financing trades between related parties, according to people familiar with the matter.
            The sarcasm, it burns.

Comment

https://twitter.com/pickardje/status/1378980080706322433

Comment

Horse. Stable door.

Comment

Apparently HRE never learns, even after it's been put into run-off.

Comment

The more things change . . .

Comment

Wyelands is no more.

Comment

I do wish someone on the committee would ask Cameron why ex-prime ministers, or for that matter ministers, should be allowed to do lobbying at all. There's an awful lot of stuff about what he knew when, which seems to be missing the point.

Comment

The problem always is that too many of them are terrified of imperiling their own opportunities

Comment

Rushanara Ali did ask the question, to be fair. But she was the last questioner and the only one I heard put anything like that to him.

Comment

https://twitter.com/uksfo/status/1393131050906308609

Comment

Talk about going off topic - started with references to how Liberty Steel would face problems if their bank went "phut", now IRL it's nearly all about Cameron

Comment

Not really off topic given that he was testifying about his lobbying for the bank.

Comment

Quite, the two issues are intimately related, as is the collapse of the CS funds

Comment

Yes .

That was the point of my thinly veiled barb

Comment

Your ways will always remain a complete mystery to me

Comment

And, new to the party, the SFO launch an investment

https://www.theguardian.com/business...of-gupta-firms

Comment

GFG and Greensill have now taken down an Italian bank, because of course they have.

Comment

Damn, I had a municipality to fall first in the tombola

Comment

Pretty much the same thing in Italy, no? Though in this case it was private equity owned after the regional bank had previously collapsed.

Comment

There are definite "synergies", yes, but I was thinking of Milano and the other cities that got hammered on derivative trades they had zero understanding of.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X