UK local/mayoral elections 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UK local/mayoral elections 2021

Election literature has started dropping into my letterbox, so I reckon it's time for a thread.

First off - dodgy Tories. I received a glossy, 8-page pamphlet titled London Life, looks like one of those community magazines but isn't. It's devoted to how great mayoral candidate Shaun Bailey is, talking a lot about his 'troubled' background (homelessness, "He's been in trouble") and youth work. Karren Brady interviews him. Her pull quote at the end of the interview - "That's why I'm backing Shaun to be the next Conservative mayor of London" - is the only place where the party he's standing for is mentioned.

So this is a mayoral election manifesto of sorts, pretending not to be, and doing its best not to mention the party being promoted. Seems really dodgy to me. Anyone know if it breaks any electoral laws.

delicatemoth your Tory leaflet will have a line in minuscule print saying printed and published by Amanda Milling* for Shaun Bailey, both of 10owning Street SW1A (or very similar) to meet the legal minimum. The West Midlands equiv has an endorsing interview with comedian Jasper Carrott to give some extra boing. It was bundled with an actual Dudley Council brochure up here

Both dodgy as fuck as you suggest

* Tory party chairman

Comment

I don't know. Unlikely, I reckon. There aren't many rules and they are easy enough to keep to.

​​I've not seen owt as yet. We have registered for postal votes, though.

Dunno if I'm using mine, mind.

Comment

I didn't know Jasper Carrott was a Tory. But I'd never really thought about it to be honest.

There's been nothing through my door yet.

Comment

In this instance it says "Promoted by Kerry Halfpenny on behalf of Shaun Bailey, both of 4 Matthew Parker Street, London SW1H 9HQ." I guess that's a Conservative/government address that no-one's heard of, so even dodgier.

Comment

Tory HQ.

Comment

Yeah it's CCHQ.

The Bailey thing also has some made-up bullshit quotes from people who don't exist. I wonder if that's illegal. Probably not.

Comment

Twenty candidates nominated for London. The kipper is trolling us surely?

https://www.londonelects.org.uk/im-c...sons-nominated

Comment

I've been approved as a candidate for the town council elections.

Comment

Twenty. Deary me oh lord.

So I'm torn between not voting at all, and giving Sian Berry a #1 for mayor. Can't see a way of voting on the GLA.

Comment

I'm tempted by Count Binface just for having the best name.

Comment

"Vote Women's Equality Party on orange" What does that mean?

Also, there is surely no way that the UKIP candidate is actually called Gammons

Comment

The ballot paper for the top-up list for the Greater London Authority - elected at the same time - is orange. So the "WEP" (ahem) is using its party name slot to advertise voting for it in the top-up list part of the GLA election.

Comment

Originally posted by Etienne View Post
                            I've been approved as a candidate for the town council elections.
                            Is that fiercely contested? If so, what are you chances?

Comment

Bah, no Cannabis Is Safer Than Alcohol Party this time. They'd have got my vote too.

Comment

I'm being strongly wooed by the local Lib Dem candidate. He seems to be promising more parks, more green spaces, more trees, fewer cars, and lots of other flirty suggestions that appeal to me. Labour 100% don't deserve my vote in the locals, but I'm not sure I can vote for the Lib Dems. So I don't know if I'll vote for anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                                  The ballot paper for the top-up list for the Greater London Authority - elected at the same time - is orange. So the "WEP" (ahem) is using its party name slot to advertise voting for it in the top-up list part of the GLA election.
                                  Ta. That helps

Comment

I saw this in the Olympic Park the other day. I'd never heard of the bloke until then, but the coach looks nice.

Comment

Eric's - you can't ever vote for the Liberals. Ever.

Comment

Eric's - you can't ever vote for the Liberals. Ever.
                                        Well exactly. But it means there's no one for me to vote for.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul S View Post
                                          I saw this in the Olympic Park the other day. I'd never heard of the bloke until then, but the coach looks nice.
                                          Ickeist Covid conspiracist apparently.

Comment

Originally posted by EIM View Post

Well exactly. But it means there's no one for me to vote for.
                                            It's a shame, but I think we could also do with a bit less fetishising the individual's vote.

Comment

Is that fiercely contested? If so, what are you chances?
                                              Yeah, town council elections are proper contests. 18 councillors in Oswestry at the moment. Greens have 6 seats (and 2 of the independents are sympathetic). Tories and like-minded independents have the rest, including both in my ward. One of the Tory councillors in my ward is very active and locally well known, I'd expect him to win. And the restrictions on canvassing help the Tories too. But I think there is a decent chance we'll win overall control.

Comment

Cool. What kind of stuff is the town council in charge of?

Comment

Not a huge amount of things: https://www.oswestry-tc.gov.uk/council-services.html - most statutory responsibilities are with the County Council. But I think there's a lot of positive changes can happen if you have an active council in just setting the tone of a town politics and culture. We've just had the town's first Green mayor (after a flagrant bit of skulduggery by the Tories to avoid it) and he's managed to get the council to support victims of domestic abuse. https://www.shropshirestar.com/news/...vote-of-mayor/

Comment

Working...
                                                  X