Anyone into geocaching?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post

Nice of them to offer you a chip, they sound like good lads.
    If only...we ended up at McDonald's after that hike as it happens..

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post

Nice of them to offer you a chip, they sound like good lads.
      hahahah

Comment

Another 5 geocaches found today. It's the hunt I enjoy the most, trying to work out the clues and how people came up with them. Quite a few DNF as well as people aren't maintaining them during covid.

Comment

I missed this thread before – sorry Paul, I'd have replied sooner if I'd been keeping up! I've been interested in geocaching since I first read about it in 2004, and have had a profile on geocaching.com since late 2011 after I met up with an old friend when she was visiting Cardiff and discovered she was an active cacher, so we found my official first one together and got me registered on the site.

You'd still rounded up more caches in just your first few days though than I have in all that time – I've basically only done caching locally on foot, and picked up the other odd ones in a few other places around the country, but have never really been in a position to pick up any big hauls in a single day or anything. I love it, though: it's a fantastic reason to go exploring places you wouldn't necessarily ever get around to seeing, and thereby seeing and experiencing other things along the way. Many of the hides are indeed supremely sneaky and/or ingenious, which is another part of the attraction of course.

I have to say, I haven't gone caching in an entire year now – it just didn't seem right or safe to be deliberately heading out to look for them in the midst of a pandemic, so I drew a big fat blank for 2020. It will be nice to hopefully get back to it soon. In the meantime, delighted to hear you're enjoying it. All the best with your first hide too, which is something I haven't attempted at all to date.

Comment

You're right VA, the down-right sneaky nature of some of these hides absolutely intrigues me. In fact, some of the best are the ones hidden in plain sight but you just don't realise. I'm the opposite to you in that I've got into geocaching because of the pandemic and it has kept me busy and going out and about. I look for geocaches where-ever I go although I'm making sure I leave some local ones so that when I get that horrible rainy day I still have somewhere to go.

Comment

I started out a while back and was excited to see that there was one right by my house. Found it, another in the neighborhood, and also a few near my office. I stopped and I was interested in restarting but saw that Geocaching.com now requires a paid membership to see all of the listings, which annoyed me.

I still sort of get the same interest in going out and finding things as a still devoted Pokemon Go player, and also playing another app from the same developer, Ingress (that was their original game, nowhere near as popular). I've also gotten into submitting my own nominations for things that can go into their games as "wayspots"--their map platform is called Wayfarer, things that are on there go into Ingress, Pokemon Go, and the Harry Potter mobile game. So I'm usually looking out for parks, sculptures, fountains, trails, etc., all of which make for good wayspots.

Comment

Working...
              X