Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Happy Harry Secombe Day, everybody!

(meteorological, that is)

And White Rabbits, Dydd Gwyl Sant Happus, Pynchon Punsch, and all that jazz.

Happy St David's day to the Welsh massive.

Here's the recipe we'll be using later for a celebratory batch of Welsh Cakes. The trusty postcard from Ceredigion never lets us down.

Comment

St David himself used to refuse anything but water, bread and leeks. Also used to pull the plough himself, and not use oxen. He sounds like a right laugh.

Comment

My aunt used to make something that she called Welsh Pudding. Unfortunately it seems that no one else called it Welsh Pudding, as google cannot come up with anything similar.

Comment

Are daffodils named after him? What's the etymology?

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
            St David himself used to refuse anything but water, bread and leeks.
            Maybe he just didn't like dried fruit but found it socially less awkward to use the extreme asceticism excuse when declining offers of freshly baked Welsh Cakes.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
              No
              mid 16th century: from late Middle English affodill, from medieval Latin affodilus, variant of Latin asphodilus (see asphodel). The initial d- is unexplained.

Comment

It's also Mărțișor today, which is a Romanian holiday celebrating the first day of spring.

Here is a photo of our garden this morning, on this, the purported "first day of spring"

Comment

First day of Spring, init…

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                    It's also Mărțișor today, which is a Romanian holiday celebrating the first day of spring.

Here is a photo of our garden this morning, on this, the purported "first day of spring"
                    Well, if Harry Secombe had been 'world king' then you'd have that every day forever. That's the problem with people who want to be 'world king'. A complete inability to think anything through.

Comment

Is there a Romanian equivalent of "In like a lion, out like a lamb"?

Comment

The Welsh flags are out in the village today, as are a profusion of daffs. But only shop bought Welsh Cakes to go with the afternoon cuppa for us.

Comment

"They thought he was an imported Polish comic."

Comment

Daffodils are Cennin Pedr ("St Peter's Leeks") in Welsh so I'd be suprised if they were.

Comment

That's brilliant, I've never ever thought to try to link "daffodil" with "Dafydd" before now – not least because the other translation of David, Dewi, is what St David (Dewi Sant) is universally known as in Welsh.

I always thought it was an odd oversight/mistake that Little Britain's "only gay in the village" was officially named Daffyd, not Dafydd (which would make him "daff-id" to rhyme with 'Sid' instead of "dav-ithe" to rhyme with, er, 'with'), but it's only striking me now that maybe Messrs Lucas and Walliams were misled by the superficial similarity with 'daffodil' too.

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
                                I always thought it was an odd oversight/mistake that Little Britain's "only gay in the village" was officially named Daffyd, not Dafydd (which would make him "daff-id" to rhyme with 'Sid' instead of "dav-ithe" to rhyme with, er, 'with'), but it's only striking me now that maybe Messrs Lucas and Walliams were misled by the superficial similarity with 'daffodil' too.
                                I think you're giving Walliams and Lucas too much credit there, given that you seem to think that that they actually "thought" about of any of their sketches, rather than just did a whole lot of puerile, unfunny shite.

(I didn't like Little Britain, btw).

Comment

I thought some of it was funny.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                                    St David himself used to refuse anything but water, bread and leeks. Also used to pull the plough himself, and not use oxen. He sounds like a right laugh.
                                    He sounds like R.S. Thomas.

Here's Simba being Welsh for the day.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
                                      Here's the recipe we'll be using later for a celebratory batch of Welsh Cakes. The trusty postcard from Ceredigion never lets us down.
                                      Perfect - we were looking for a recipe for tonight.

Comment

I've never knowingly had Welsh cakes. Is the lard compulsory?

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                                          Likewise, though it got broader and more puerile and unfunnier with each passing series, unfortunately. Some of the early random stuff, like the scenes in Kelsey Grammar School, were rather charming, but got dropped after the first series.

Anyway, in the spirit of Dydd Dewi Sant, this was taken just now:

Comment

I've never knowingly had Welsh cakes. Is the lard compulsory?
                                            No, you can make 'em with all butter just fine. Any recipe for them written within the last 40 years or thereabouts won't feature lard.

Though some traditionalists may disagree, of course.
                                            Last edited by Various Artist; 01-03-2021, 16:28.

Comment

Originally posted by Vicarious Thrillseeker View Post
                                              Perfect - we were looking for a recipe for tonight.
                                              These are good. We went all in on butter instead of lard.

Comment

Fantastic stuff VT!

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                                                  It was all downhill after Mash & Peas. Rock Profile was alright, the first series of Little Britain had its moments but if anyone needs to know the definition of "diminishing returns", just look at anything they've done since about 2003.

As I always do on this day, I dug out an old Wales shirt. I went with the 2010-11 vintage, the first of the Tailored By Umbro range.
                                                  Last edited by 3 Colours Red; 01-03-2021, 21:30.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X