Tenuous claims to fame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenuous claims to fame

I received my first ever valentine's card at the tender age of 11 from Alexandra Merchant, younger sister of The Office and The Extras co-writer Stephen, with Alex going on to work in various television art departments.

One of my fellow students on my MSc course was rugby player Andries Pretorius. I didn't know who he was and asked him what he did for a living.

My mum was at uni in the same year / classes as Chris Tarrant. She isn't complimentary about him as a person.

Edit - got his name wrong. Thanks WOM
    Last edited by Patrick Thistle; 27-02-2021, 11:28.

Comment

Do you mean Pretorius?

Comment

I once saw Brad Friedel in O’Hare Airport.

Comment

Still kills me every time

Comment

My parents once briefly hired an au pair, but within a month she’d abandoned the job to run off with her new boyfriend, Nelson Piquet who very briefly showed up at our house to pick her up.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
              One of my fellow students on my MSc course was rugby player Andries Pistorius. I didn't know who he was and asked him what he did for a living.

My mum was at uni in the same year / classes as Chris Tarrant. She isn't complimentary about him as a person.
              When I was at college, in the year below me on my course, were to be found the current Poet Laureate and a future England Test cricketer. Grayson Perry was in the neighbouring department. Our paths never crossed, that I can recall.

The father of a college mate was one of the SAS soldiers who had ended the Iranian Embassy siege a few months before.
              Last edited by Nocturnal Submission; 27-02-2021, 11:10.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                My parents once briefly hired an au pair, but within a month she’d abandoned the job to run off with her new boyfriend, Nelson Piquet who very briefly showed up at our house to pick her up.
                One of my friends was nanny to the child of one of Mitterrend's mistresses.

Comment

My sister used to work with Judd Trump's mother.

Comment

I passed John Peel in Mortimer Street W1. He was rummaging for something in a satchel.

Comment

I once sold some bread to Michael Parkinson.

I bought the first ever piece of Vancouver Grizzlies merchandise (a cap).

Comment

I've rarely seen famous people outside of their work environments (football, cycling, cricket, stage, gigs) but those I have seen include Unai Emery and Santi Canizares.

I have also taught Luis Enrique's sister-in-law and given a childish V sign to Ramon Mendoza.

Comment

My Dad did his national service with Rodney Bewes.

Comment

I had a drunken (but reasonably good humoured) argument with the president of Hungary's supreme court

Comment

A girl I threw up over on the big wheel at a funfair in 1981 later* went out with former Bristol rugby star Ralph Knibbs.

(* Later in her life, not later that day.)

Comment

Ah yes, I met and drank whisky with Joseph James Tombura:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_James_Tombura

Comment

Arriving at Glasgow Airport, I was greeted at the information desk: "Good evening Sir, are you England footballer Malcolm McDonald?"

Comment

I literally bumped into Eddie Izzard on the stairs at a John Hegley gig in London in 1995. He was wearing a black leather jacket.

Comment

Steve Walsh tried to push in front of me to get into the taxi that I'd queued up for. He wasn't too happy when both the driver and me and my wife told him to fuck off.

I was in the same class at junior school as Gary Linekers first wife.

For a few months I would say Good Morning to Martin Johnson as our paths crossed as we both walked to our respective workplaces (i suspect that like a number of Leicester Tigers players of that era he 'worked' at Blands Insurance company)

Comment

An ex of mine from 25 years ago is now married to a prominent Tory Lord.

Comment

I've shaken Princess Diana's hand.

I was once stood behind John Barnes in a queue at one of those food import shops in Chester.

Already mentioned this ages ago but I once nearly whacked Dennis Taylor's son in the face with a bag full of old Nintendo games.

Mr T. gave my school a shout-out during a panto performance of Aladdin at the Liverpool Empire.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
                                            I've shaken Princess Diana's hand.

I was once stood behind John Barnes in a queue at one of those food import shops in Chester.

What's a food import shop? Don't many food shops have imported food?

Comment

Cliff Thorburn did the beckoning as we were backing the car out.

I've had a phone conversation with Thora Hird.

Comment

During work experience age 14 I designed cushions for Martin Brundle's lounge.

My dad punched George Best.

Stephen Hawking once nearly ran me over when I was drunk near the River Cam.

I used to regularly see Simon Pegg dog walking (either the dog from Spaced or its doppelganger) in North London.

I've had dinner with Francesca Martinez, the comedian who has cerebral palsy and appeared in an episode of Extras. She's the big sister of a friend of my ex-boyfriend.

We saw Frank Skinner the day I had the first ultrasound for my first pregnancy.

I went on a blind date with Nick Mohammed, "a British actor, comedian and writer, best known for voicing Piglet in the live-action film Christopher Robin" according to Wikipedia.

People who I've seen in unexpected contexts include: Miriam Margoyles, Derren Brown, Rory Bremner, Andy Parsons, and a comedian whose taxi I think I stole but I can't remember his name.

I was at university at the same time as plenty of famous people including Lily Cole, Eddie Redmayne and most of the cast of the Inbetweeners. I didn't know them personally, but saw them in various student productions and know anecdotes about them from friends.

I am good friends with a semi-famous actress from UK TV and Hollywood (if you've seen her stuff you'll know her, if you haven't, you won't), but I am not going to name her.
                                                Last edited by Balderdasha; 27-02-2021, 09:49.

Comment

My grandfather's cousin was a rugby league international who was the first ever ?10,000 transfer when he went from Workington to Oldham in 1959. He was then transferred back to Workington a year later for another record transfer fee.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X