No announcement yet.

Knock 'em off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We'd better avert a stramash here; Guy nominated Claudette Colvin to replace Rosa Parks. (It was masked to an extent by the way he quoted Rogin's post.)

The current Fab Five are:

Arundhati Roy
    Sir John Hurt
    Devi Sridhar
    Claudette Colvin
    Kristin Hersh

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
      You do realise that these comments about Joni are tearing Amor de Cosmos apart, dont you?
      It's OK...[sniff]... I can take it.

In reality, by many accounts, Joni is more than a bit scary and has an ego the size Saskatchewan. Still...the music man... the music!

Comment

I'm still not buying 'Rosa Parks not being somebody else' as any kind of viable reason for her exclusion, tbh.

But it's not my thread, etc.

Comment

The best Throwing Muses song is by her sister so they can swap out.

Arundhati Roy
          Sir John Hurt
          Devi Sridhar
          Claudette Colvin
          Tanya Donelly

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Casper View Post

She also screamed "Get off my property!" at someone from my work who was walking on the beach near her house.
            You work with Bob Dylan?

Comment

Joni Mitchell did blackface on a record cover. But it seems Charles Mingus, rarely known as a shrinking violet, didn't have an issue with that, so should we? It's Complicated!

What's the Tanya Donelly song that's better than any of Hersh's, btw? I thought the only one of hers on their first, best album, was 'Green'. Which is great, but still the least good song on side one of that brilliant record. EDIT - I guess it must be 'Dragonhead'. Again, great, but not 'Hate My Way' great.

Anyway, accepting a knighthood is more than enough reason to get booted off here. And I've been enjoying Blake's 7 of late.

Arundhati Roy
              Devi Sridhar
              Claudette Colvin
              Tanya Donelly
              Jacqueline Pearce
              Last edited by delicatemoth; 23-02-2021, 18:53.

Comment

Originally posted by delicatemoth View Post
                What's the Tanya Donelly song that's better than any of Hersh's, btw? I thought the only one of hers on their first, best album, was 'Green'. Which is great, but still the least good song on side one of that brilliant record. EDIT - I guess it must be 'Dragonhead'. Again, great, but not 'Hate My Way' great.
                Not Too Soon, especially when she does the cat noises. That first album and Hunkpapa are great though.

Comment

Originally posted by delicatemoth View Post
                  Joni Mitchell did blackface on a record cover. But it seems Charles Mingus, rarely known as a shrinking violet, didn't have an issue with that, so should we? It's Complicated!
                  Sorry I missed this at the time. Joni has become a huge hero of mine but this was a case of her having a very narrow view of what's OK. Just because her jazz mates got the joke doesn't mean everybody would or should. She sincerely felt that she was crossing racial and gender boundaries in her music, which was kinda true but she possessed a huge amount of white privilege from which to operate. Try to imagine a black woman trying to have a commercial career in the 70s with music that was as complex and idiosyncratic as hers; she could do it because she had already established herself in a singer-songwriter field that was exclusively white.
                  Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 26-06-2021, 13:49.

Comment

Yeah that's pretty true. It was definitely Important Artist Privilege.

Comment

I still love the album, though; everything she released in the 70s is indispensable.

Comment

Working...
                      X