Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
    About ten years ago, I worked with some colleagues who were looking at flood risk. The environment agency issues publicly available maps with lines saying "1 in 100 year" flood risk and "1 in 1,000 year" flood risk. Now, aside from the fact that these were based on historical data and flood risk is increasing (partly due to climate change, partly due to building on flood plains, partly due to everyone paving over their front gardens, amongst other reasons), it turns out that the labels were very misleading. The "1 in 100 year" line actually meant any risk up to and including "1 in 100 year" risks, so could be anything from once a year risk to once a century risk. And the "1 in 1,000" year line meant anything between "1 in 100" and "1 in 1,000".

If I ever buy a house, I will be looking at the Environment Agency maps for both surface water flooding and sea and river flooding and not buying anything that is anywhere near any of the blue lines.

I very deliberately bought a house 450ft up a chalk hill.

Comment

I'm pretty sure that Etienne has correctly identified the source of confusion. The idea of needing to cool houses is almost completely alien to the UK.
      A number of years ago I was in Dublin with a client who was from Texas. It was quite warm in Dublin while we were there and the client was loudly and repeatedly berating the fact that there was no air conditioning in his room. A calm and collected waiter, having listened to yet another rant replied with “yes sir, your room does have air conditioning. In Dublin, our system is called a window. Try opening the window for a while and your room will cool down”. And he coolly placed our drinks on the table and walked away. If I’d had any balls, I would have applauded.

Comment

About ten years ago, I worked with some colleagues who were looking at flood risk. The environment agency issues publicly available maps with lines saying "1 in 100 year" flood risk and "1 in 1,000 year" flood risk. Now, aside from the fact that these were based on historical data and flood risk is increasing (partly due to climate change, partly due to building on flood plains, partly due to everyone paving over their front gardens, amongst other reasons), it turns out that the labels were very misleading. The "1 in 100 year" line actually meant any risk up to and including "1 in 100 year" risks, so could be anything from once a year risk to once a century risk. And the "1 in 1,000" year line meant anything between "1 in 100" and "1 in 1,000".

If I ever buy a house, I will be looking at the Environment Agency maps for both surface water flooding and sea and river flooding and not buying anything that is anywhere near any of the blue lines.
        We live in high risk flood area. But, there are floods... and FLOODS! A tidal flood (our kind) is generally a short-lived inconvenience. The last one was 2006, when the water reached the first two streets parallel with the beach, but receded the same day. King tides, high winds, and heavy rain are all required to create the right conditions. River flooding is much worse as there's no telling how bad it's going to be, nor how long it will last. A bigger problem for us would be a sizeable earthquake, as it would cause liquefaction, and our house would probably sink.

Comment

https://twitter.com/alexintxresists/status/1362499884461551617?s=21

Comment

https://twitter.com/justicedems/status/1362513848880812033?s=21

Comment

More on Abbot:

"I’m anxious to see how our governor, in particular, will respond to this crisis, because I have never witnessed a more cowardly politician. When Abbott faces a challenge—and he has faced several in the past year alone—you can always depend on him to take the shape of water, forever finding the path of least resistance. I have no idea why the man became a politician, as I can discern no animating motive behind his acts beyond just staying in office.

During the coronavirus pandemic, which has taken the lives of 41,000 Texans so far, the governor first delegated as much responsibility—and political risk—as possible to the state’s mayors and county judges. When those same local officials decided that things like mask mandates and restaurant closures might be good ideas, which became unpopular with the governor’s donors, he overruled them. But when deaths spiked, Abbot decided that—surprise!—local leaders had retained the power to enforce mask mandates all along and that it was their fault for not solving his coronavirus riddle.

I am anxious to see how the governor weasels his way out of responsibility for what happens next. I wouldn’t want to be Texas’s new speaker of the House, Dade Phelan, to whom the governor will likely attempt to shift all the blame." — Andrew Exum, The Atlantic

Comment

https://twitter.com/KaraRBrown/status/1362547761946583040

Comment

I’m a bit late to the 100-year events thing, but something that I’ve been thinking about for a while. If there are, say, 10 kinds of major events: fires, floods, storms, cold temperatures, hot temperatures, wind, snow and some others, then you’re going to have one of those every 10 years. If you’ve got a whole bunch of different locations with different climates or geographies - Dustbowl panhandle Texas, Gulf Coast Texas, East Texas plains, Rio Grande Valley, West Texas desert, suddenly somewhere in Texas is having a 100 year event every year or two. And perhaps the “100 year flood” is a smaller geography even than that, because they talk about it specifically in, say, Houston. There are well many hundreds, possibly Houston-sized areas in Texas, so perhaps on floods alone there are several “100 year floods” somewhere in the state each the state. You shouldn’t expect hundred, or even thousand, year weather events to be particularly rare.

Comment

https://twitter.com/ronfilipkowski/status/1362515223886848003?s=21

Comment

Note the source

Jones is infinitely better known in Texas as the owner of the Dallas Cowboys

Comment

https://twitter.com/carlyjcor/status/1362529440337600517?s=20

Comment

That’s brilliant.

Comment

Is it real? It just seems to good to be true.

Comment

Mrs. NS has loads of family in Texas and quite widely distributed: Houston, San Antonio, Del Rio, Sugar Land.

Their FB pages are rather quiet at present.

Comment

Renart is mostly ok, they have power and water, just not hot water.

Comment

I watched ten minutes of Fox News today so as to save the rest of you from having to do so, and Biden is being blamed for not providing support quickly enough.

Comment

https://twitter.com/daniellehaynes1/status/1363167749342715904?s=21

Comment

https://twitter.com/mattlargey/status/1364625674162479110

Comment

https://twitter.com/evanasmith/status/1364597802202882049

Comment

So deregulation works just as intended.

Comment

Exactly

Comment

Slightly confused by the use of the word "were" in that headline. It seems to indicate that they're no longer regulated.

Comment

Working...
                                              X