No announcement yet.

Pancake Day - how do you eat yours?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

L is doing ours as a big Dutch Baby pancake tonight. It's like a massive Yorkshire Pudding and is deelish.

Comment

I hesitate to ask what a Dutch Baby is, but this evening I tried to eke one last pancake out with the dribble of batter left in the jug, only it really wasn't nearly enough so I ended up with this Cthulhoid monstrosity:

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
        I hesitate to ask what a Dutch Baby is, but this evening I tried to eke one last pancake out with the dribble of batter left in the jug, only it really wasn't nearly enough so I ended up with this Cthulhoid monstrosity:

Love it. Though it could be a pig turning its head to the left and brandishing a yellow card with his right arm (upper right).

Not sure how to describe the lower left - a thick, long, straightened out tail?

Comment

Comment

We sucked back two babies, a full pound of bacon and some eggs. Dozing off now....

Comment

I did okonomiyaki tonight, so pancakes of a kind!

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                How do you serve something like that? Do you put it in the middle of the dining table, chuck in all the deep-fried and gooey crap, and then everybody just dives in (figuratively and, going by the size of it, possibly also literally speaking)?

Comment

That just looks like a straight up Yorkshire Pudding to me. We never had those little muffin sized ones that these days seem to have cornered the market. We just had one big one made in a rectangular baking tin that looked like that. You cut it into the requisite number of pieces and serve with gravy. As a starter.

Comment

Better as a side dish with the beef, if you're a carnivore.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                      Better as a side dish with the beef, if you're a carnivore.
                      It's originally supposed to be a starter (to take the edge of your appetite and all that). And that's how we always ate it at home.

Comment

Yeah, it's very much like a Yorkshire Pudding, but sweet and pancake-like. Recommended. And you just cut it in four or six slices, like a pie.

Comment

So do you put sugar in the mix then?

Comment

Whatever's in the original recipe. I dunno.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post

It's originally supposed to be a starter (to take the edge of your appetite and all that). And that's how we always ate it at home.
                              Let me guess, filled with hot gravel. Well, hot if you were LUCKY!

Comment

Whatever's in the original recipe. I dunno.
                                Oh I thought you'd made them, my mistake. I don't read very carefully.

Comment

Nah, L does most of the cooking and I do most of the cleaning up. Which sounds equitable, but she manages to use every bowl in the place somehow. And she refuses to use the spatter guard thing when she fries bacon, so that's always a pointless additional mess.

Comment

On the day we had lemon/sugar preceded by blue cheese ones and some steamed broccoli and buttery leeks on the side (and rolled up inside with the cheese) just because they were wilting in the fridge

Comment

Nah, L does most of the cooking and I do most of the cleaning up. Which sounds equitable, but she manages to use every bowl in the place somehow. And she refuses to use the spatter guard thing when she fries bacon, so that's always a pointless additional mess.
                                      I don't tend to fry...well, anything much really, but not bacon. But I'd never use a spatter-guard. So more power to L's elbow, I say.

Comment

Working...
                                      X