Pancake Day - how do you eat yours?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pancake Day - how do you eat yours?

The kids have been pestering me about pancake day for a month now, so no chance of forgetting it in this household.

We use the standard British pancake batter 1-2-3 method (100g of plain flour, 2 large eggs, 300ml of milk), but make triple that amount because it's basically all we're going to eat for the day.

Toppings so far today have included: lemon juice (from real lemons) and sugar, local honey (bought yesterday from a house near us that sells local honey outside the front door with an honesty box) and orange zest, blueberries and nutella (would usually do strawberries and raspberries too but we ran out of those yesterday).

We may do pancakes with cheese and spinach for dinner.

I would eat pancakes with nutella and banana or sugar and lemon juice. However I am outvoted by the other members of my household who prefer American style pancakes with bacon and maple syrup or yoghurt, strawberries and raspberries.

Cheese, mushroom and spinach pancakes are my savoury pancake of choice.

Comment

fast

Comment

Nutella or maple syrup.

Savoury fillings with British-style pancakes don't appeal.

Comment

UK pancakes either ham, cheese and spring onion, or lemon and sugar.

US pancakes with butter and maple syrup (I struggle with US fake non-maple syrup), or possibly whipped cream and fruit.

Comment

I forgot that we sometimes add cinnamon in with the honey and orange zest too.

Comment

I'm making some terrible pancakes later, using the strong wholemeal flour I already have open. I shall have mine with berries and fromage frais. ikr. But I'm not doing sugar rn.

Comment

Lemon and sugar

The kids tend to go with Nutella (or cheaper equivalent) or occasionally jam. However I have brought them around to the perfect simplicity of lemon and sugar

Comment

We had them for lunch, using the same 1-2-3 method, with sugar and juice from an actual lemon, but that was a fluke because I'd forgotten it was pancake day and had bought lemons for something else anyway.

Comment

(lemon and sugar would be my default, and I've never had better)

Comment

American pancakes, with loads of maple syrup. If available, add blueberries.

Comment

Originally posted by Wouter D View Post
                        American pancakes, with loads of maple syrup. If available, add blueberries.
                        Yeah, same for us. Though don't have them too often these days.

Wouter, many yrs ago we visited Dutch friends in the small town of Terschuur. On our last night they took us to a pannenkoeken restaurant in Hoevelaken and we were blown away by all the choices. The menu had well over 100 choices - as it was evening we went for savory ones.

Best pancakes ever. Glad we only hit it on our last night as I could easily have eaten 3 meals a day there.

Looked it up and still going strong - https://degillendekeukenmeid.com/

Comment

What are those dutch ones that are brown, and square?

Comment

I was into my twenties before I found out that UK pancakes with anything other than lemon and sugar was even a thing. It would still feel wrong to have them with anything else.

US pancakes go with maple syrup and bacon. This works, so I feel no need to change it.

Comment

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post
                              It would still feel wrong to have them with anything else.
                              That's mostly because it is.

I don't know if I'd ever eat USian pancakes by choice. I mean, if the choice were "here's your breakfast", of course I would. But I mean, would I ever choose them over all other options? I don't know.

Comment

Longleat Safari Park is celebrating success with its pancake tortoise breeding programme, and is weighing into the toppings debate by naming the new tortoises: Syrup, Banana, Peanut, Piccolo and Prairie.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-56085894

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
                                  Longleat Safari Park is celebrating success with its pancake tortoise breeding programme, and is weighing into the toppings debate by naming the new tortoises: Syrup, Banana, Peanut, Piccolo and Prairie.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-56085894
                                  People eat pancakes with woodwind instruments in?

Comment

Just lemon and sugar for me. The kids put chocolate spread on theirs.

Comment

I made some pancakes for the family for lunch. They were OK and had with honey, which was about the only thing which was available.

I had one. The crappy, experimental first one, which I had with nothing at all.

As overall experiences go it's not rating particularly highly in my Life Ledger.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                                        What are those dutch ones that are brown, and square?
                                        Galettes. I was thinking of galettes. For some reason I associate them with a holiday I had in Holland - must have been a Breton chef on our campsite.

Comment

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post
                                          I was into my twenties before I found out that UK pancakes with anything other than lemon and sugar was even a thing. It would still feel wrong to have them with anything else.
                                          Well, they're basically crepes, so it'd be unlikely that nobody was eating them any other way. (That said, I can remember having some thus with family friends in Belgium in about 1967, so...)

Anyway, they're nice a number of ways - chopped banana, strawberry, chocolate, etc. But, yeah, lemon and brown sugar is as good as any.

On the whole, though, I prefer an American hot cake (one large, or small stack) - usually with blueberries, cream and maple syrup.

Comment

As waffles, if I'm lucky. With 100% pure maple syrup and thick cut bacon. The kids will probably have an egg, too.

Comment

You deliberately eat waffles on pancake day? As a snub?

Comment

Blinis with loads of black caviar and smetana preferably. More likely, with strawberry jam and sour cream.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                                                  As waffles, if I'm lucky. With 100% pure maple syrup and thick cut bacon. The kids will probably have an egg, too.
                                                  Bloody hell.

If I were King of Germany and I found out that somebody was feeding minors with syrup-soaked fried flour, fried fatty meat and fried eggs, I'd send my guards round to throw him/her into the dungeons and take the children into care.

What do you finish the meal off with? Deep-fried candyfloss, washed down with a gallon of blue pop out of a bucket?

Comment

Working...
                                                  X