Pancake Day - how do you eat yours?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
    We do this just about every year, but it is worth noting again that the whole concept of Shrove Tuesday being "Pancake Day" is largely unknown on this side of the ocean.
    I still don't really understand it and I am only reminded that it's a thing whenever I see the thread on here. Shrove Tuesday is the same day as Mardi Gras, right? I never really know when these things are. If I didn't already find out about Mardi Gras, I sometimes find out about the whole Christian calendar pre-Easter stuff starting if I see someone with ashes on their head for Ash Wednesday, but that definitely won't be happening this year.
    Last edited by Incandenza; 16-02-2021, 19:45.

Comment

If you're having Shrove Tuesday then you've got to give up something for Lent. Otherwise you're just heathens stuffing yourselves.

A religious upbringing probably damaged me in countless ways, but one thing it did do was stop me having sugar in tea. Gave it up one year for Lent and never wanted it back. Jesus saved my teeth.

Comment

I don't do Shrove Tuesday, I just do pancake day.

Comment

As a card carrying God botherer, I am giving up social media as it goes so don't expect to see me here until Sunday (you can have Sundays off in Lent). I gave up sugar in coffee in January after setting an investigation up for the kids to do in home learning to see the equivalent of how many sugar cubes were in their food every day. I realised how much was in mine and gave it up and was wondering if that would hold over for Lent but that doesn't seem to be the done thing. So tonight, I am having pancakes but also spending all night on Facebook etc.

Comment

Like most NA heathens, I didn't know about it either. My wife lived in [that] London for 6 years and now Pancake Day is a big deal.

Comment

I don't think we ever did "giving up for lent", even when we were young and some of the family still pretended to "believe". It didn't make any sense to me anyway

Comment

I started to understand "giving up for Lent" when I moved here where people still live a very seasonal peasant lifestyle. Basically Lent "happens" to coincide with the period of the year when you basically don't have any food left. You're down to the bare essentials. Stored potatoes, flour, pickles and so on. So you have this late winter period when abstemiousness is pretty much forced upon you. Rather than suffer in misery you instead believe you're doing it for good Christian reasons

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                  Like most NA heathens, I didn't know about it either. My wife lived in [that] London for 6 years and now Pancake Day is a big deal.

Did she now. Whereabouts did she live?

Comment

The Medieval Church has been rumbled

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                      Did she now. Whereabouts did she live?
                      Always around Richmond Park, apparently. They moved a bunch of times because they kept having their stay extended, but always at the last minute.

Comment

We even - for some reason - have a 'waffle fingers' maker.
                        I'm not as happy with this as I'd like to be. I think it needs more work.

I mean, how can you not know why you own something as ludicrous as a 'waffle fingers' maker?

Comment

Well, it looks like the sort of thing we might have gotten as a gift. Or bought with points or something. It doesn't look like the sort of thing we'd have set out to purchase. I think we've had it since the kids were small, so the reasons might have been lost to time.

Comment

It's very small. And orange. We never use it.

Comment

Always around Richmond Park, apparently. They moved a bunch of times because they kept having their stay extended, but always at the last minute.
                              Ah, lovely. Best area of London, IMHO.

Comment

Comment

Yes, that's it.

Comment

What the blazes is that?

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                                      Ah, lovely. Best area of London, IMHO.
                                      They certainly enjoyed their stay.

When they first arrived, her father looked at a map and decided they could 'go up to Scotland for the afternoon'.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                                        What the blazes is that?
                                        Check your mailbox in about two weeks.

Comment

I had a couple of leftover tortillas for lunch. Does that count?

Comment

Seconded.
                                            Not even if you deep-fry them? With a deep-fried egg? And fried Vimto?

Comment

Put them in a butter tart and I'm all over them. But on pancakes? What da funk?

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                                                What the blazes is that?
                                                It's a 'waffle fingers' maker. WOM has three of them.

Comment

I went for Cr?pes au chocolat and also broke out the Poffertjes pan.

Comment

Pancake count: 3.75 – the 0.75 was the rubbish first one that always turns out atrociously before the pan's properly hot. That one was lemon and sugar, one more with jam, a third with my own plum jam plus butterscotch syrup, and the fourth back to sugar and lemon but with added cinnamon and a bit of drinking chocolate powder.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X