Britain's busiest district councillors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Britain's busiest district councillors

Someone's been having fun. According to wiki, North Tyneside is twinned with Frederikshavn, Moenchengladbach, Halluin in France, Klaipeda in Lithuania, Coatzacoalcos in Mexico and Charlotte, NC.

Having been on many occasions to Benton, and also having been to Charlotte NC I'm not grasping the immediate connection. And certainly not to, well, anywhere in Mexico really.

I've been to Klaipeda. Other than them not accepting Euros in the supermarket I can't think of any similarities there, either.

Comment

Shipbuilding?

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
        Shipbuilding?
        For some, yes a possible clue. But Charlotte? Or Moenchengladbach?

Comment

Somewhat interesting that it isn't listed on the Wiki page for Charlotte (it is for Moenchengladbach)

Comment

Is it because people in the same region still think that they sound like they are speaking in a foreign language?

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
              Someone's been having fun. According to wiki, North Tyneside is twinned with Frederikshavn, Moenchengladbach, Halluin in France, Klaipeda in Lithuania, Coatzacoalcos in Mexico and Charlotte, NC.

Having been on many occasions to Benton, and also having been to Charlotte NC I'm not grasping the immediate connection. And certainly not to, well, anywhere in Mexico really.
              To be fair, BPV itself is technically Newcastle rather than North Tyneside, as has been pointed out to me in discussions re city centre regional offices.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                Shipbuilding?
                Having googled Klaipeda, yes. Though tbh I can't remember a shipyard when I was there, just a tourist harbour, a stretch of stunning beaches and the aforementioned supermarket.

Comment

I misread the second word of the thread title with an extraneous "t" and wondered where the hell this thread was headed.

I'm a bit disappointed, I won't lie.

Comment

Diana Dorset West?

Comment

Diana Dors is Swindon's finest export, in a close run race with XTC.

Comment

Neither of the in the frame with BDG

Comment

I didn't know BDG was a Swindonian. #3 with a bullet.

Comment

I once visited Angers, twinned with Wigan. I later visited Wigan. Difficult to imagine two more contrasting places.

Angers has a beautiful 11th century cathedral. Wigan sells butter pies. Both have their merits.

Comment

Twinning seems to have died out long before brexit sentiment grew. In terms of it being anything more than names on road signs, anyway.
                              I can remember our head of dept (languages) getting dolled up for a do at the civic centre because visiting dignitaries from St Nazaire were in town, early 90s.

Comment

Twin towns here are all other similar sized towns in other bits of "greater Hungary". So I think Csikszereda has a twin town in Ukraine, Slovakia, Serbia, and more than one in Hungary.

My mum's village recently (like 5 years ago) set up a twin village thing with somewhere in France

Comment

And if you think North Tyneside has a lot, I've just followed a wiki link to a city that this town is twinned with, Balti in Moldova (note, there should be diacritics there which mean it;s pronounced more like Bultz, sadly, and not balti) to see the following

Comment

Working...
                                  X