Xin nian kwai luh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Xin nian kwai luh

If it weren't for this ruddy lockdown Signora Rogin and I would be heading to Chinatown tonight, almost certainly involving a pint in EIM's place. Which is probably a relief to him.

So we're making do with a supermarket banquet involving prawn toasts, spring rolls, egg fried rice, sweet and sour chicken and duck in hoisin sauce. How about you?

I've had a takeaway coffee from a local Chinese-run bar.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
      If it weren't for this ruddy lockdown Signora Rogin and I would be heading to Chinatown tonight, almost certainly involving a pint in EIM's place. Which is probably a relief to him.

So we're making do with a supermarket banquet involving prawn toasts, spring rolls, egg fried rice, sweet and sour chicken and duck in hoisin sauce. How about you?
      It would, of course, be a pleasure hosting you.

I usually go to Ho's Bakery on Chinese New Year and buy a big box of pork buns for the bar. It's just an excuse for me to eat half a dozen of them and bask in the warmth of my culturally sensitive generosity, which takes the edge of the guilt and sickness.

I think I'll get takeaway tonight. It's tempting to get a full big dirty banquet from Little Yang Sing, but Happy Seasons does three roast meats on rice, and it's fit as fuck, so I'll probably get that, bosh a month's meat allowance away in the one night.

Comment

Here's my topical tale

Way back long ago, when I was a third year student at a certain university on the outskirts of Coventry, I had a contact in one of the dodgy pubs in the city from whom I would obtain my weekly needs of a certain less-than-entirely-legal substance. As I was the one with the contact, I would often buy for friends too, but never very much. I was very much just a casual user, rather than a dealer (or at least that was how I saw myself, though looking back my use was pretty much not casual). Also, and I add this because it will eventually be an important fact in the story, because of my name some of my closer friends nicknamed me "Hox",

Over time, I found my purchases increasing (not because of my own consumption which was pretty much maxed out, but because of the friends who wanted me to support their own consumption), and it was beginning to stress me out a bit (especially, the bus ride into town with a pocket full of cash, and the bus ride back with a pocket full of Moroccan or Lebanese export). One day i walked into the kitchen of the hall of residence where I was living to find some of my neighbours pissing themselves laughing. Apparently a first year student had just nervously stopped by, and said he was looking for someone called "The Ox". After a while they realised that he must have meant me, and so sent him to my door. I wasn't in, so he had put a note under the door. It was, as you might have guessed, a request to buy some dope. Addressed, as they had said, to "The Ox".

That was the point at which I realised that this was getting a bit ridiculous and whatever I might think, I was slowly becoming the campus dealer (at least in reputation) and so I stopped buying for other people. Among certain people I have never shaken off the name "The Ox" though.

It is, therefore, my year.

Comment

Good thing you didn't study in Dublin. There'd have been an order of 'Frenchies' to add to the dope

Comment

Dunno if Rastas sold Frenchies

(whatever they are, I'm guessing condoms, but as far as I know it could be croissants)

Comment

French letters. Dublin in the early 80s- it was like a foreign country

Comment

Jaysus, we stopped calling them frenchies when we were 14, they were always Johnnies after that. Bloody students.

Comment

If you put a croissant on your thingy you attract a certain type of person IS THIS THE GREATEST THREAD DIVERSION IN THE HISTORY OF OTF? I WANTED PICTURES OF DRAGON DANCERS!!

Comment

I'm lost in a proustian reverie at EIM's mention of Ho's Bakery, and am now lusting after a honey bun.

Comment

That's brilliant ad hoc!

Comment

Why'd you go for Mandarin Rogin? I'm not having a go, just curious.

I didn't realise that it was new year but by coincidence I had made Shanghai style red braised pork.

Comment

Originally posted by beak View Post
                          I'm lost in a proustian reverie at EIM's mention of Ho's Bakery, and am now lusting after a honey bun.
                          They've been shut since last March and I fear for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Levin View Post
                            Why'd you go for Mandarin Rogin? I'm not having a go, just curious.

I didn't realise that it was new year but by coincidence I had made Shanghai style red braised pork.
                            1 billion of them can't be wrong. And I'm told "Gong hey fat choi" just means "live long and prosper" or something.

Comment

Fish fingers and oven chips for us. Neither me nor my good lady wife can be arsed doing anything that involves complications tonight, it will be eat, get the kids to bed and a bottle of something alcoholic and fizzy whilst watching WandaVison (I have avoided Twitter all day because it's bound to be trending plot points and spoilers).

Comment

Originally posted by Eggchaser View Post
                                WandaVison (I have avoided Twitter all day because it's bound to be trending plot points and spoilers).
                                Well, the Transformers and the Avengers have a fight. Then Stuart Little attacks Voldemort, while Swamp Thing and Pocahontas sing a duet.

As you may be able to tell, I haven't seen it, as I don't have the right channel, but it's probably something along those lines.

Comment

I'll let you know if they had to autotune the Swamp Thing very much.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post

1 billion of them can't be wrong. And I'm told "Gong hey fat choi" just means "live long and prosper" or something.
                                    Haha, something like that. (Do they do Star Wars* in China?) It's the expression used in Cantonese whereas Xinnian kuaile is Mandarin.

You've awoken the need for noodles in me now, Rogin. I'm not sure whether that is a good thing, but I thank you regardless.

Da jia chunjie kuaile. Happy Spring Festival everyone.

*Whoosh

Comment

Working...
                                    X