Blimey, it's King Alfred now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blimey, it's King Alfred now

A Tory MP from Somerset has just demanded at PMQs that the county be returned to a single county council authority (presumably in opposition to the existence of unitary authorities like BANES) because "it's what King Alfred would have wanted".

They really are fucking bonkers, the lot of them, aren't they?

He's just preparing the ground. Once Scotland and Wales have done their independence, Wessex will be next.

Fuck you Mercia

Comment

I'd hope one day to be able to return to my home kingdom of East Anglia, but I'm concerned that after this long amid the heathen Celts west of Offa's Dyke they might not have me back.

Comment

You belong to us now boyo.

If you do return "home" you'll be expected to spy for us.

Comment

The Last Kingdom is a good show.

Comment

cede the north and east of England to Denmark and extract tribute from the rest of the country by force of arms. If it's good enough for Ivar Ragnarsson it's good enough for us.

Comment

What about what William wanted? Are we to harry the north?

Comment

Considering what a thoughtful, high-minded and reforming statesman King Alfred was, as evidenced by surviving documents such as his letter to Bishop Waerferth on the (in his view lamentable) state of learning in England, I suspect that what Alfred would have wanted more than a unitary Somerset authority would be for the county not to be represented by pig-ignorant mediocrities such as its current crop of Tory MPs.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                  "it's what King Alfred would have wanted".
                  He's in touch with him is he?

Comment

Anyone in Somerset who doesn't burn their cakes is essentially a traitor.

Comment

Originally posted by Levin View Post
                      Bloody unelected EU Frenchies imposing their rules and red tape? They can stick their Domesday Book where le soleil doesn't shine!

Comment

Originally posted by Levin View Post
                        Isn't that the default position of a Conservative government in any case?

Comment

Well, they do deserve it.

Comment

Working...
                          X