Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brenda's Wealth Shock

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...droidApp_Other

Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere.

No surprise here but still.

She needs the dough to pay Legover's legal fees

Comment

Imagine being so rich that you are fucking ashamed of it.
      But not ashamed enough to give most of it away, obviously.

Comment

Wonder how if at all it'll change when the old fraud dies? Big Ears is more open with his green ink letters to government

Comment

I may be going against the grain of this thread, but I believe Elizabeth II to be an excellent head of state. She appears to me to be polite and considered, and have the wellbeing of others at heart.

If she has made legal steps to protect inherited royal wealth (state assets), I very much doubt that she has done so in order to quaff champagne every night.

I consider it more likely that these steps were taken to prevent greasy, oiky politicians from selling the family silver.

Comment

Comment

It isn't clear to me from the Guardian piece that the shares in question are indeed "state assets".

The piece repeatedly refers to them as "private" and the legislation in question certainly treated shares owned by the State differently.

Comment

Originally posted by Favourite Worst Nightmare View Post
                I may be going against the grain of this thread, but I believe Elizabeth II to be an excellent head of state
                In 69 years in the gig, she has never faced a single question or interview, let alone election. As for qualifications, her education was basic and the last job where she was personally responsible for anything was driving an ambulance...in 1945.

Her 'role' is basically to be frontwoman for all the fairytale Ruritanian nonsense that the rapidly failing British State uses to justify its lack of democracy. Just by nodding through every bad decision "her" governments have made over the decades she has personally done significant damage to this country.

She's 95 and will probably die soon. As her 3 planned successors include another pensioner in poor health and an 8 year old, it's time her institution was let quietly fade away.

In short...it's not the tax evasion that's the problem
                Last edited by Duncan Gardner; 09-02-2021, 06:43.

Comment

Originally posted by Favourite Worst Nightmare View Post
                  I may be going against the grain of this thread, but I believe Elizabeth II to be an excellent head of state. She appears to me to be polite and considered, and have the wellbeing of others at heart.

If she has made legal steps to protect inherited royal wealth (state assets), I very much doubt that she has done so in order to quaff champagne every night.

I consider it more likely that these steps were taken to prevent greasy, oiky politicians from selling the family silver.
                  The point is that they aren't state assets. What's being discussed the personal wealth of the Windsor* family As the report points out, Elizabeth Windsor and her lawyers have often intervened in her capacity of Head of State to protect the family wealth and to keep it invisible.

* the ar(t)istocrats formerly known as Saxe-Coburg Gotha
                  Last edited by Nefertiti2; 09-02-2021, 08:16.

Comment

Additionally they've been using Queen's Consent to vet the laws of the UK to ensure their position and influence.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...droidApp_Other

I'm curious when we're in the middle of a pandemic why the Guardian is now running this.

Comment

The reason for this is pretty obvious. The greedy Piggy thinks that if people knew just how fucking mind-blowingly fucking rich she is, then people wouldn't be so keen on the state handing her so much money every year. Greedy piggy needs all the money for her.

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post

I'm curious when we're in the middle of a pandemic why the Guardian is now running this.
                        1 The Ruritanian nonsense as above is basically a soap opera. People are fascinated by this stuff and always demand more

2 Because of her age there'll be a change soon. As she has been built up for so long as simultaneously 90% popular politician/ CEO of Worldwide near monopoly/ Dalai Lama, Mahatma Gandhi and MLK rolled into one, that change will by definition be significant and needing rehearsal. See coverage of Vera Lynn and particularly Tom Moore

3 The Media keep the whole nonsense going by treating her and family with contempt, knowing that the public have no problem with self-contradicting messages. That's why Andrews involvement in crime and Harry"s rejection of the prejudice against his family are allowed to endure. It's only a matter of time before some joker posts that pic of her doing a Nazi salute for uncle Eddie 8

Comment

She need not worry, she's going to get a bumper cut of the offshore wind installations in the form of rent because she owns large amounts of the sea.

Comment

Weren't those royalties sold off years ago?

Comment

There were fresh auctions recently. BP have been in the press for significantly overpaying compared to others.

no idea on who is the recipient of the rents - I had assumed it was the state rather than the Crown.

Comment

DG speaks for me on this. FTQ

Comment

Originally posted by Eggchaser View Post
                                  She need not worry, she's going to get a bumper cut of the offshore wind installations in the form of rent because she owns large amounts of the sea.
                                  Technically this is owned by The Crown Estate. It's a unique private company which owns huge amounts of property and land that used to belong to the monarch but is now "held in state for the benefit of the nation". It owns things like: the whole of the Windsor state and all 400+ properties on it, most of Regent Street, lots of shopping centres and farmland across the UK, and the bit you're talking about, 55% of the UK coast line and the entirety of the offshore seabed up to 12 nautical miles from the coast. So all offshore wind has to lease land from The Crown Estate.

One of the more recent governments changed how to Queen is funded. She used to be funded by the Civil List, but now gets an annual proportion of The Crown Estate's profits, I think about 10%. The Crown Estate has been doing rather well recently, so her income from this has been increasing.

This is all completely separate from her Madge's personal wealth, which includes things like Balmoral, Buckingham Palace and Sandringham. And then other royals individually own lots of other stuff, like Charles owns the Duchy of Cornwall and the "new town" of Poundbury.

Also, even though the Queen doesn't technically own the properties that form The Crown Estate any more, she still has rights of access, so, for example, can hold a jolly wedding in Windsor whenever she feels like it for whatever distant relative she likes.

Disclosure: I used to consult on environmental matters for The Crown Estate.

Comment

NB, the other 90% of The Crown Estate's profits go direct to her majesty's treasury / the government.

Comment

Another fun quirk of The Crown Estate: in certain circumstances where ownership of land or property cannot be confirmed (often if a company has been wound up and not all its assets were properly accounted for), then as part of a process called "escheat", the land reverts to being owned by The Crown Estate, which is considered the "ultimate owner" of all land in England, Wales and Northern Ireland.

The current value of The Crown Estate is over 14 billion pounds.

Comment

Slight amendment: Balmoral and Sandringham are part of Elizabeth II's personal wealth. Buckingham Palace is managed by "The Royal Household"and "held in trust for future generations" i.e. also to be used by Madge and her descendants but not counted as part of her personal wealth.

There's another separate organisation called "The Royal Parks" which owns and manages e.g. Hyde Park, Kensington Gardens, Richmond Park, St. James' Park, basically anywhere that a monarch might have gone hunting previously. Again, not counted as her Madge's personal wealth, but she still has rights of access.

If you added up all these quasi organisations that hide the family's true wealth, I'd be surprised if Elizabeth II's wealth was less than 20-30 billion pounds. Her personal wealth is estimated at about 500 million dollars.

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
                                          Another fun quirk of The Crown Estate: in certain circumstances where ownership of land or property cannot be confirmed (often if a company has been wound up and not all its assets were properly accounted for), then as part of a process called "escheat", the land reverts to being owned by The Crown Estate, which is considered the "ultimate owner" of all land in England, Wales and Northern Ireland.

The current value of The Crown Estate is over 14 billion pounds.
                                          I will have no doubt mentioned this before but an old hotel in Carlisle went (declined? stumbled?) into escheat a few years ago causing a bit of a stand off. The Crown Estate would be the beneficiary of any sale, but the local authority was liable for any repairs and maintenance required to keep it safe (the cost of which would not be reimbursed by the Crown Estate). Which became quite the challenge when bits started falling off it and nearly killing people, causing the council to close a main thoroughfare for weeks on end. Eventually the council demolished it, at its own cost, leaving a decent sized plot of city centre land for the Crown Estate to sell. After all the local jokes of "that would be a good place for a hotel", the first prospective buyer that came forward was of course a hotel chain.

Comment

Besides beheadings and such, is there an actual process for dismantling the monarchy and sending them on their way?

Comment

To earn an extra few bob, she could set up a chain of takeaways - Windsor Fried Swan - where she'd have a monopoly as she owns them all.

Comment

There are plenty of precedents (warfare, revolution, financial scandal elsewhere in Europe). Less abruptly and as it's personalised, Charles and William could just abdicate/ remarry a Fenian/ shit themselves on live TV etc

Comment

I dislike the fact that when discussing future options with my daughter, I can tell her she can be prime minister or a scientist or a doctor or whatever she wants to be if she works hard, but at the top of the hierarchy, there is a position she can not aspire to through merit. The only way my daughter could "become the Queen" would be a) setting her sights on marrying Prince George or b) staging a revolution complete with guillotines.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X