Brenda's Wealth Shock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
    The only way my daughter could "become the Queen" would be a) setting her sights on marrying Prince George or b) staging a revolution complete with guillotines.
    Option 2, please.
    Last edited by San Bernardhinault; 09-02-2021, 15:25.

Comment

Why not both?

Comment

Well, if you do it before the guillotining you're putting yourself at risk of decapitation, and if you do it after you're marrying a dead kid.

Comment

I wouldn't ever have wanted to change places with any member of the Royal Family, least of all the monarch, whatever wealth they enjoy. The loss of normal life and of freedom of action and expression would be too great a price.

Comment

Originally posted by Evariste Euler Gauss View Post
            I wouldn't ever have wanted to change places with any member of the Royal Family, least of all the monarch, whatever wealth they enjoy. The loss of normal life and of freedom of action and expression would be too great a price.
            How has the freedom of expression of (say) Peter Philips or Genie Brocklebank (2 of Brenda's grandchildren) been lost?

Their Granny could have resigned and spent the last 25/50 years pushbiking around her estates if it was that onerous. Like many of her Benelux or Scandi cousins
            Last edited by Duncan Gardner; 09-02-2021, 16:41.

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
              b) staging a revolution complete with guillotines.
              I imagine if she recruited her little brother to the cause that would be quite achievable.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post

I imagine if she recruited her little brother to the cause that would be quite achievable.
                Little brother's latest ambition is to become "Minister of War". He claims this is so he can tell everyone not to have wars because they're bad and they kill people, but I suspect this may just be a propaganda front.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                  Besides beheadings and such...
                  There's really no need to go re-inventing the wheel on this one.

Comment

Originally posted by Evariste Euler Gauss View Post
                    I think the Windsors have considerably more freedom of action and expression than I do

Comment

They'll have less freedom of speech once they're decapitated.

Comment

I'm sensing some mild contempt for them. Is that contempt for the person or the role? And don't say both...it's very lazy.

Comment

Some of the persons are utterly contemptible (Andrew, Philip, and probably others). The concept of the system is also contemptible

Comment

I think the system / the monarchy is entirely contemptible and should be dismantled.

I have no time for Andrew or Phillip. Charles seems fairly 'ok', and I really don't have any issues with Brenda. The rest of them don't really rate.

Comment

Anne seems to be the only one who doesn't really seek publicity and works hard, the rest of them ...

Charles has consistently interfered in the democratic process as has Brenda.

Philip is a racist and a bigot along with many other things.

Andrew is an alleged paedophile and was friends with those of a similar nature.

The others are on a gravy train at best, at worst they have embezzled millions from the public purse.

This should lead to a revolution, but it'll be another meh.

Comment

Chart update following birth of Dogger Bank junior (Genie's son)

1 Charles
                                2 Wills
                                3 George
                                4 Charlotte
                                5 Louis
                                6 Harry
                                7 Archie
                                8 Andrew
                                9 Beatrice
                                10 Genie
                                11 Dogger Bank
                                12 Steady Eddie

Comment

I'm sensing some mild contempt for them. Is that contempt for the person or the role? And don't say both...it's very lazy.
                                  It's for the role, contempt for the very existence of any hereditary power (however nominal) that entrenches the entire idea of the class structure through its existence, that it creates posts that are literally impossible for parts of the population to achieve.

The system has made many members of the royal family contemptible, too. I'm sure some of them would have been vile anyway, but I imagine most of them would have just been unimaginative, dull non-entities were they born into any other part of society.

Comment

Archie Andrew? - sounds like a puppet ruler to me

Comment

I doubt the Queen or most of the family really cares about growing their fortune any more. They just resent any suggestion that they don’t deserve it.

Comment

https://twitter.com/paullewis/status/1359159735589736452

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
                                          Anne seems to be the only one who doesn't really seek publicity and works hard
                                          It's all relative with them though, isn't it? Top of the royal table, but 85 official engaements in 2019 doesn't sound exactly back-breaking.

Comment

Originally posted by Vicarious Thrillseeker View Post
                                            It's all relative with them though, isn't it? Top of the royal table, but 85 official engaements in 2019 doesn't sound exactly back-breaking.
                                            She was previously at about one a day. That's nothing now.

Comment

To be fair she is 71. Give the girl a break

Comment

Find monarchism utterly confusing like i've never really understood why anyone would be in favour of it (apart from if you're like a member of the aristocracy). At least until I learnt more about how reprehensible a lot of the Royal Family actually are, I never felt that strongly about it but I was always amazed whenever I met anyone who actually wanted to keep the leeches (as well as their insistence that they're "good for tourism" like really that's your best argument for hereditary aristrocracy?). Baffling.

Comment

From me, it's not mild at all, and it's absolutely both. Sorry to be so lazy. I'm not sure how extra effort would change my opinion.

Originally posted by Bizarre Löw Triangle View Post
                                                  Find monarchism utterly confusing like i've never really understood why anyone would be in favour of it (apart from if you're like a member of the aristocracy). At least until I learnt more about how reprehensible a lot of the Royal Family actually are, I never felt that strongly about it but I was always amazed whenever I met anyone who actually wanted to keep the leeches (as well as their insistence that they're "good for tourism" like really that's your best argument for hereditary aristrocracy?). Baffling.
                                                  Agreed. Entirely baffling. But there's all sorts of other horrific boot-licking that goes on that I find equally baffling.
                                                  Last edited by DCI Harry Batt; 10-02-2021, 12:03.

Comment

We're in some kind of neo feudal kleptocracy in the UK

Comment

Working...
                                                    X