No announcement yet.

Handforth Parish Council

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

this is the guy who discovered it and edited it together.

a 17 year old doing politics for A level

https://twitter.com/Channel4News/status/1358108883055759363?s=20

I get the feeling there'd been a lot of negotiation about how to frame his labour party poster

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post

If you think that's odd and archaic, you should acquaint yourself with chancel repair liability if you're currently unaware of it!
      Has any church actually ever tried to extract money from nearby residents for fixing the steeple in this way. Something says there'd be a right legal to and fro if one attempted it nowadays and not be a good look for the CoE.

Like EEG I didn't take the risk either.

Comment

That sounds paid to me. I looked into it as I was being strongly urged to become a councillor, especially in Uxbridge. The money was mentioned as an incentive.

@AE, sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post

I naively didn't think they were paid but they get around 11k in London plus expenses.
          Yes, it's a comfy gig compared to something like a school governor, which is about half the commitment for no money at all. It's amazing how many councillors in my borough get elected and rarely turn up to meetings. All of this is recorded on the council's website.

Comment

I smiled ruefully MsD above. Many Labour and Tory councillors are as she suggests invited to become so (ie they're then elected predictably in safe seats). Of course it's tougher for those of us in smaller parties...

As others suxggest, most Council meetings are fairly well behaved. Not least because a few people tend to dominate discussion, tacitly accepted by the rest.

Against that, there's plenty of laziness, absenteeism and of course witless obsession with Churchill and WW2 (on my local MBC the early 20 ish Tories are the worst, believe or not)

The underlying problem isn't the above though. If your Ruritanian system hasn't been updated since 1832 it barely matters who it elects

Comment

Originally posted by Greenlander View Post

Has any church actually ever tried to extract money from nearby residents for fixing the steeple in this way. Something says there'd be a right legal to and fro if one attempted it nowadays and not be a good look for the CoE.

Like EEG I didn't take the risk either.
              Yep. Rare, but it happens. There was a Chancel Repair dispute case that concluded about 8 years ago, where total expenses (much of which was legal costs fighting the bill and losing) came to about 350k and cost the homeowner their house to settle up. There’s other obscure pitfalls like Rentcharge and bizarre restrictive covenants that get overlooked until the demands for money come in out there too...

Comment

https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1474007397660336129

Comment

The Labour candidate won, though the "Englishman" got 45%.

Comment

Vile racists fucks.

Comment

And the Englishman?

Comment

Jackie Weaver was on the Big Fat Quiz of the Year last night.

Comment

So, the reports about what was actually happening were published yesterday. It makes fascinating reading.

It confirms that the blokes in the video were not only complete cunts in the meeting, but contempable cunts outside it.

There were 7 councillors, but one councillor had decided to just jack it in, but wasn't for resigning. Before she stopped coming to meetings, she'd united with the 3 blokes to make one of the blokes the chair. her continued absence meant that meetings voted 3-3 but the Chair's casting vote meant the 3 blokes got their way.

The absentee however was going to be removed after missing meetings for 6 months.

The Clerk of the Parish Council - an employee - took advice and removed the councillor from her position and issued a notice for a by-election. The 3 blokes then cooked up a plot to get the absentee councillor to put up a complaint about the Clerk, which would get the Clerk suspended and the action to call for a new election suspended. They helpfully fucked up when one of the plotters emailed the clerk by mistake, instead of one of the plotters.

The absentee councillor couldn't be prevailed on to lodge the complaint it seems, but the clerk was suspended anyways. That left them in a bind, as the 3 blokes weren't calling meetings - presumably trying to argue that if the council wasn't holding meetings, the absentee couldn't have been absent. So the 3 other councillors called a meeting to do some stuff like approve planning applications and the like. But since there was no Clerk to convene the meeting, they called in Jackie Weaver to help ensure the meeting goes ahead.

The 3 blokes are all about trying to get a vote on whether the meeting was validly called; if it comes to a vote, then the 3 blokes will win, and the meeting won't happen. So, JW kicks them out, so the meeting doesn't get kiboshed. She admits she didn't have requisite authority, but says that her job was to make sure the meeting went ahead.

What really stands out is what cunts the 3 blokes are. Commissioning legal advice they don't share. Asking the awful arsehole Esther McVey for support (which they seem to get), threatening people with legal action left right and centre (including threatening a criminal investigation on the Clerk for using the email sent to him to demonstrate his position on the grounds that as not the intended recipient, it was tantamount to theft. Basically, the same set of bullshit anyone who's ever been involved in a community campaign will be familiar with when fundamentally stupid by sociopathic property developers get involved.

There's clearly a story from this village that I'm astonished no-one has written - the council was formed in 2011 and the reports say that these issues of a split on the council had dogged it from the get go, so there's something I'd love to read about the sociology of this in the Handforth community.

Comment

Originally posted by NHH View Post
                            There's clearly a story from this village that I'm astonished no-one has written - the council was formed in 2011 and the reports say that these issues of a split on the council had dogged it from the get go, so there's something I'd love to read about the sociology of this in the Handforth community.
                            It's just down the road from here, on the edge of Wilmslow. If you were to design the sort of place where old people have nothing better to do that spend their time sitting on councils arguing about procedure, outsiders*, while selling off bits of land to increase the value of their house, you'd come up with a place like Handforth. When the original story broke and I found it where it was, my immediate reaction was "Yeah, figures". They look on Midsomer Murders and tut at that nice John Bergerac as he prevents Ordinary People from doing the sort of necessary thing that has to be done to keep the riff-raff out.

*God help you if you want to move in and are young, non-white, non-straight or from as far away as Heaton Mersey.

Comment

To me it has always been an out-of-town shopping center. The M&S there was always full of wannabe Alderley Edge residents...

Comment

It all reminds me of a social over-35s Sunday league I used to play in which was run on the basis of favours and self interest. It finally went into meltdown at an AGM where the dodgy chairman was trying to evict anyone who asked a question he couldn’t answer. I went along with our club manager/captain and a teammate who was a lawyer. Great fun.

Comment

Working...
                                X