Handforth Parish Council

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Handforth Parish Council

If Simon Pegg and Nick Frost joined forces with Shearsmith and Gatiss to satirise ultra-local politics - "You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver!"

Jackie has just featured on BBC R5L

Comment

Honestly the funniest thing I have seen in years. I won't spoil anyone's enjoyment of this by quoting as the whole thing is just priceless. Personal favourite is the muttered "fuck off" even before things kicked off

If they decide to live stream their next meeting I swear they will break the internet. 18 minutes of pure joy

If you are eligible here is the link for nominating Jackie Weaver for the Nobel Peace Prize

Nomination (nobelpeaceprize.org)

And to nominate her for a MBE (or perhaps a gallantry award)

Nominate someone for an honour or award - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
      Last edited by colchestersid; 05-02-2021, 10:14.

Comment

And now DAG has a blog post about it...

https://davidallengreen.com/2021/02/...uncil-meeting/

Comment

I quite enjoyed Cllr. Aled Brewerton's self-important hissy fit and march away from his laptop, slightly undermined as it was by his father remaining on screen, chuckling away at nothing in particular.

Comment

Just came across this on the front page of the Guardian's website a few minutes ago!

Insults and expletives turn parish council Zoom meeting into internet sensation
            Swearing, hysterics and a heroically stoic clerk transform Handforth meeting into absurdist drama

They've only got a 3-minute highlight reel linked though, so many thanks DR for linking to the 18-minute version. Will relish watching that later, not least because I took part in a local PCC Zoom meeting only last week.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
              I quite enjoyed Cllr. Aled Brewerton's self-important hissy fit and march away from his laptop, slightly undermined as it was by his father remaining on screen, chuckling away at nothing in particular.
              Was Aled Brewerton the one who went from disgruntled to screaming rage in the space of one short sentence? Perhaps he was also responsible for the pre-meeting 'fuck off', as he seemed to be sitting there just waiting for the opportunity to lose his shit. All highly enjoyable anyway.

Comment

https://twitter.com/NickHernBooks/status/1357664415185788928?s=20

Comment

https://twitter.com/LeftieStats/status/1357703132487299073?s=20

Comment

Originally posted by gjw100 View Post

Was Aled Brewerton the one who went from disgruntled to screaming rage in the space of one short sentence? Perhaps he was also responsible for the pre-meeting 'fuck off', as he seemed to be sitting there just waiting for the opportunity to lose his shit. All highly enjoyable anyway.

Yes, that was him. Deputy chairperson of the council or committee or something and demanding that, with the head honcho dismissed from the meeting for excessive grumpiness, he should now take control of the meeting.

Comment

"Julie's I-Pad" continually flashing up on the screen at the beginning of the meeting for no discernible reason was also quietly amusing.

Comment

This was brilliant, and as someone who has been involved in committees and stuff like it for 30 years, it rang so many bells. But the main takeaway is that there are lots of unpleasant misogynistic cunts in councils, and in parish councils, it is much worse, and because they're all called Ratepayers or Independents, you can't identify them, but the worst of them will have Tory placards up come District Council elections.

Comment

I got three different people sharing this with me within 10 minutes. Mainly, I feel as I have spent most of lockdown in similar meetings - albeit more prosaic.

Comment

Sequels never do live up to the original:

Comment

Which one was @rogin?

Comment

God, I love this so much. The rotating-head devil voice of Aled, the toilet flushing, the unseen Julie.

Comment

What is unavoidable is that a lot of men are bullies. Good on Jacqui.

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
                                    Which one was @rogin?
                                    Rogin would give everything he owns and more to live in Cheshire.

Comment

The Nick Hern Books twitter page that Nef posted a tweet from above has a few other tweets on the same topic that also made me chuckle.

Comment

I liked Sue's curtains.

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
                                          I liked Sue's curtains.
                                          Are they superior to Pebble's?

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post

Rogin would give everything he owns and more to live in Cheshire.
                                            Would I fuck. It's stocked to the rafters with the sort of wankers who play golf and secretly vote Tory.

Comment

To be fair, they openly vote Tory.

Comment

Is that a confession masquerading as a joke?

Comment

I assumed that's what Nefertiti2 thinks of me (above)

Comment

Working...
                                                  X