X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Misogynistic Mass Sexual Violence in Chinese Detention Centres

This is absolutely horrific and systematic:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-55794071

I'm struggling to think of anywhere more evil than this right now.

The script is so familiar, the details so harrowing.

When al-qaida first tried to provoke the US and other states into repressing their Muslim minorities, it expected the reaction to be so great that by 2020 a world caliphate would be in control. Instead, Muslims are forcibly sterilised and detained in rape camps in China, subject to ethnic cleansing in Myanmar, jailed on nonsense accusations of 'coronajihad' in India, left to drown in the Mediterranean.

It should be noted that the regimes in Egypt, Saudi Arabia and Syria have all played their part by handing Uighur students over to the Chinese authorities, often following a muscular interrogation.

Comment

I wonder also if racism is a factor, as it was in the Nanking atrocities of 1937 (Japanese thought Chinese were subhuman)? Obviously race here is a myth (as it always is) but if the govt thought it could portray Muslims as a race, it would follow that playbook (as Trump did in the US).

Comment

It's not even remotely in question that it's a factor, is it? I mean, even beyond the overt Han-supremacism of the Chinese government, they're doing things like facial recognition of Uighurs based on perceived racial characteristics.

Comment

It's also a long-standing and, I guess, effective method of demoralisation. It's why Russian troops were encouraged to rape German women in 1945, and why Korean women were systematically raped by Japanese soldiers. But they are relatively recent. The practice goes back thousands of years probably.

Comment

Most certainly

Comment

Working...
            X