So, these Russian demos . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, these Russian demos . . .

How big a thing are they? How momentous are they, potentially? I admire the opposition leader for returning from Germany knowing the dangers he faced back in Russia and the probability of arrest but confess I don't know that much more about him. How impregnable, invincible, is the awful Putin?

Others know more than me, but I think that he's a right wing git. Doesn't allow Putin to poison him, mind...

Comment

Yeah, my fear . .

Comment

Opposition figures, especially opposition figures whose rise is grounded to some extent by "populism", are often flawed.

That does not mean that their opposition is insignificant or irrelevant.

On the other hand, Putin controls all of the levers of power in an authoritarian state.

Comment

There was talk of Putin retiring last year, on account of his health. Apparently, his family were trying to get him to, and there's been talk that he's got symptoms of Parkinsons. What happens if he goes? Is there a successor? Would there be an election? Jesus, at least when they were Communist, you knew where you stood.

Comment

Aye, they'd have a Putin look-alike in place before you could say Brezhnev...

Comment

I suppose I asked because I don't see an awful lot of chatter about these demos, despite the numbers. I'll get around to researching to Navalny but I think his bravery alone seems to have impressed the Russian people.

Comment

No clear successor

There have been a number of favourites over the years, but none have retained his favour

A definite problem

There's been quite a bit of chatter in my circles, but those also include a bunch of Russian and Eastern European types.

Comment

One does wonder whether Putin going is the same sort of thing that happens when a strongman falls; a scramble for power, blood on the carpet and some frankly appalling goings on (not that there aren't those now).

Comment

I've just this minute seen a video of it getting a little bit punchy between protesters and the police. Didn't look particularly widespread, but it looked like it was a few.

Comment

Usually followed by an even worse "strong man".
                      Last edited by Gangster Octopus; 23-01-2021, 21:29. Reason: Grrrr, that was in reply to young Eggy...

Comment

Yeah, the very fact of having returned to Russia might simply have bolstered those "strong man" credentials.

Comment

https://twitter.com/b_nishanov/status/1353011975131967490

https://twitter.com/slavamalamud/status/1353092380577193984

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                            Usually followed by an even worse "strong man".
                            Or what happened to Yugoslavia - once the arsehole keeping it together by terrorising everyone goes, the whole place fractures.

Comment

Good point, but didn't that already happen after Gorbachev?

Comment

Yes, and "Russia" has a much older and deeper history than did "Yugoslavia"

Comment

Originally posted by My Name Is Ian View Post
                                  There was talk of Putin retiring last year, on account of his health. Apparently, his family were trying to get him to, and there's been talk that he's got symptoms of Parkinsons. What happens if he goes? Is there a successor? Would there be an election? Jesus, at least when they were Communist, you knew where you stood.
                                  I first heard this story, while watching the end of the Sochi Games, with Garcia. HIs missus, who is a neurologist wanders in, takes one look at putin on the telly and says "He has parkinsons, look at his hand", I could barely see his hand move, but to someone who did this for a living, all she could hear was clinical alarm bells. That's heading for seven years ago now.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                                    Others know more than me, but I think that he's a right wing git. Doesn't allow Putin to poison him, mind...
                                    And Putin isn't? This isn't a "better the devil you know scenario". As well as being an oppressive dictator in his own country Putin has had no qualms whatsoever about interfering and manipulating elections in other countries as well as sending agents in to other nations to eradicate people who have dared to transgress against him. I'll take right wing git over dangerous murderous bullying despotic cunt any day.

Comment

Yeh, but you’re not Russian.

Comment

True, but my vote probably has as much value as that of a Russian citizen right now.

Comment

I’m on the-Putin-you-know side FWIW, but am aware it’s not my business. Russian populism is as bad as any, if not worse.
                                          Anything I have to say in favour of Putin will sound a bit off, really, but I can see why my Russian friends grudgingly support him while thinking him a bastard.

Comment

https://twitter.com/new_narrative/status/1356000519341355013

https://twitter.com/popovaprof/status/1355983758281879552

Comment

Navalny sentenced to three and a half years in a penal colony

Comment

https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1356705774056189957

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                                  Navalny sentenced to three and a half years in a penal colony
                                                  He'll be Epsteined in no time.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X