No announcement yet.

Rafael Behr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I saw something along the lines of “in summary, I got so much abuse and hatred online that it was a significant part of driving me to a heart attack. Well, that’s a cult of genocidal maniacs for you.”

Comment

https://twitter.com/rafaelbehr/status/1350887481479200768?s=20[

Comment

Seems he wrote the same article last year, but blamed the heart attack on Brexit. I wonder who he'll be blaming it on next year?

Comment

Can we please stop repeating that half of British Jews wanted to emigrate if Corbyn got in; it's simply not true. The Jewish Chronicle's polls ask a small sample of British Jews, there are doubts about the representativeness of their sampling, and of course there's the relevant point that they questioned people on feelings that they'd manipulated. It's like asking Trump supporters whether they feel antifa are a threat or the election results are unfair.

Also, there was a panic fuelled by the Jewish Chronicle when Ed Miliband, as Labour leader, criticised Israel, and people declared they felt unsafe and ready to flee, Labour was accused then of fuelling an upswing in antisemitic attacks.

It seems at the moment that a large minority of women are genuinely afraid that a man pretending to be trans is going to attack them in a toilet.

Comment

From this distance, there are definite similarities in those two campaigns

Comment

There are a lot of the same players involved. How far do we sympathise, and how far do we entertain people's genuine fears if those fears involve demonising people who are no threat to them? Behr wasn't just expressing his emotion, he was smearing people who, on the whole, are the first to stand up against racism, and who would be hiding all sorts of people in our houses, if it were necessary and if we had the room.

Comment

I had that sense, but knew you would have better information

This is exactly the line being pushed by the likes of Ted Cruz and Josh Hawley - that "concerns" about election fraud that they and their fellow Trumpists created out of whole cloth and relentlessly promoted deserve investigation because people believe in them.

Comment

I have long since abandoned any practice of Judaism. I don't believe in God. But Jewishness is a cultural watermark that is indelible if it gets minted into you at an early age. It resists apathy and apostasy. In that respect, it has much in common with Catholicism and allegiance to minor-league football clubs, except, unlike a lifelong interest in Accrington Stanley, Jewishness comes with strings attached to Israel
                  What odd terminology to employ. Someone should tell newspaper writers to not use football as an analogy if they know fuck all about it.

Comment

There are a stack of articles from 2013-2015 talking about Jewish people's fears - this one from 2014* claims that two-thirds of British Jews were thinking of leaving. Of course, that's two-thirds of those asked.

Recent statistics prove that hate crimes against Jews have risen 383% worldwide since 2013, including a 436% hate crime hike in Europe.
                    According to a Jewish Chronicle poll in August, the rise in violence has led nearly two-thirds of the UK's Jewish population to question their future in the UK.

https://www.israelnationalnews.com/N...ws.aspx/184680
                    And here, Luciana Berger takes Ed Miliband to task for not supporting her when she received abuse. In 2015. https://www.thejc.com/lifestyle/feat...n-mann-1.68009
                    Last edited by MsD; 17-01-2021, 20:52. Reason: *article 2014, poll 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post

What odd terminology to employ. Someone should tell newspaper writers to not use football as an analogy if they know fuck all about it.
                      Almost as if someone was using a template made in the USA

Comment

Unless he meant lower league club, as in Accrington Stanley, who are a lower league club. More likely he just reached for Accrington Stanley as he knew it was a club that wasn't a big club. I blame the milk adverts.

Comment

That Rachel Shabi piece from The Nation seems mostly pretty good to me. Seems to get lost when it talks about the numbers thing tbh. There are some other minor issues. And some policy points I disagree with, which is fine. But yeah, mostly pretty decent no?

Comment

Rachel Shabi has been consistently very good on all this.

I've had no time for Behr's politics since his very snidey, very revealing Tweet a couple of years ago attacking Corbyn for "caring more about Colombian unions than the European ones", as if this was an unconscionable crank position rather than one that rightly prioritised people being targeted by death squads. Europeans Matter More, see.

Comment

And I've got horrible personal experience of the Jewish Chronicle's unreliable reporting on the Labour party, fed as much of it is by embittered rightwing insiders

Comment

Working...
                              X