Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jack Monroe and Food Poverty

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...droidApp_Other

A really good article this, well worth a read.

The latest battle, which will be won in sure, is about providing food or vouchers during the half term break.

Comment

I've been following Monroe since her first blogs on food poverty (she identifies as non-binary and will use either she or they pronouns). She is consistently and righteously angry about the state of hunger that this government has forced millions of people to live in. And they (the government) just don't care.

Comment

We shouldn't have to fight every holiday to get food to vulnerable children.

Comment

Here they are

https://twitter.com/BootstrapCook/status/1350439644056449024?s=20

Comment

Jack Monroe and Marcus Rashford lead the fight for children not to have to return to the 19th century, what can we do to help?

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
              Jack Monroe and Marcus Rashford lead the fight for children not to have to return to the 19th century, what can we do to help?
              They're the ones who have the profile and can speak to a large audience.
              I'd say the minimum we can do is try to make regular foodbank donations where possible and be sure to add your name to any relevant petitions.

Comment

I agree, I'm sure supermarkets doing online delivery could add a donation request.

I do the above plus help families complete FSM forms at school and online.

Comment

http://chng.it/7n7hbmFk9h

And here we are, one for Sainsburys.

Comment

I've followed her, had some nice / funny exchanges with her, but like several people, was a bit exasperated that she a) didn't back Corbyn at the crucial time, and even joined in with his detractors, and b) seems to have forgotten or doesn't acknowledge that a lot of us have been banging on about poverty for a very long time.

She got upset at the pile on, which is understandable, no-one likes to be piled on, but it was a slap in the face to see her talking about poverty as though *no-one in politics had been bothered about it* for the last eight years.

Comment

Originally posted by MsD View Post
                      I've followed her, had some nice / funny exchanges with her, but like several people, was a bit exasperated that she a) didn't back Corbyn at the crucial time, and even joined in with his detractors, and b) seems to have forgotten or doesn't acknowledge that a lot of us have been banging on about poverty for a very long time.

She got upset at the pile on, which is understandable, no-one likes to be piled on, but it was a slap in the face to see her talking about poverty as though *no-one in politics had been bothered about it* for the last eight years.
                      The article says she suffers from "rejection sensitive dysphoria" so that might explain her reaction.

Comment

I have real problems about formalising donating to foodbanks via Sainsbury's website.

I respect to people who fundraise for and work at foodbanks,

but I'd rather campaign for joining trade unions or rent strikes

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post

The article says she suffers from "rejection sensitive dysphoria" so that might explain her reaction.
                          Yes. I saw that, and she also seemed to take on board some of the criticisms in the spirit they were meant, although predictably she got a lot of “these Corbynite thugs can’t bear any criticism of the master” type bollocks.

She recommended my favourite mascara to me so gets points for that. No more coming home with false eyelashes stuck on my forehead! If I was going anywhere.

Comment

https://www.theguardian.com/football...droidApp_Other

More on and from Marcus Rashford.

Comment

https://twitter.com/BootstrapCook/status/1350439939855552513?s=19

The DfE tweeted this on Saturday but said they emailed schools on Wednesday or Thursday.

Comment

Working...
                              X