A great apology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A great apology

Jason Alexander, who played George on Seinfeld, appeared on a TV show and did a shtick about how cricket is a bit "gay". On twitter some people pulled him up on that, and after due reflection, he issued an excellent apology which clearly is trending, and so is doing an awful lot of good.

Full text here (courtesy of Ad Hoc on Facebook)

From it, this: "So one might think that all these years later I might be able to intuit that my little cricket routine could make some person who has already been made to feel alien and outcast feel even worse or add to the conditions that create their alienation. But in this instance, I did not make the connection. I didn’t get it."

No defensive bluster, no downplaying of the offense or appeals for humour to be regained. But an admission of "I didn’t get it". That takes courage.

[Alternative thread title: The tweets were angry that day, my friend]

A great apology

Not bad.

But I thought this was going to be about the one that MsD still owes to Bored. Seems it's not.

Comment

A great apology

Fuck all the way off. I've had him insulting me from day one and I've held back on what I think, and know, about him.

Comment

A great apology

Well done there, WOM.

Comment

A great apology

MsD wrote:
          Fuck all the way off. I've had him insulting me from day one and I've held back on what I think, and know, about him.
          You know damn well you've given as good as you've gotten. But you crossed a line last week and should do the right thing and apologize.

Comment

A great apology

CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ON?

Comment

A great apology

Worn Old Motorbike wrote:
              MsD wrote:
              You know damn well you've given as good as you've gotten. But you crossed a line last week and should do the right thing and apologize.
              Repeat, Mr Bossy Busybody, fuck off. You don't have the full picture.

Comment

A great apology

If we're not going to get along, can I at least have a link so I can rubber-neck/make my own mind up?

Comment

A great apology

Ooh, the temptation to do the wrong thing :-)

Comment

A great apology

And the right thing is snidey innuendo then?

Comment

A great apology

Anyway, I'm pretty certain The Curtaintwitcher General is big and ugly enough to plod through his own battles.

Comment

A great apology

MsD wrote:
                        Repeat, Mr Bossy Busybody, fuck off. You don't have the full picture.
                        You remember back when your equally nasty friends from t'other board came here and shat all over you, and disclosed personal information about you and were generally abusive? I was, if not the first, then one of the first to speak up in your defense and say that a line had been crossed and that they should fuck off back where they came from.

So whether you think we've all got the full picture or not, you crossed a line and should apologize.

Comment

A great apology

They didn't HAVE any personal information about me, it was made up bollocks about me being on HRT and shagging someone else's boyfriend.

And bears no relation to this, whatsoever, nor gives you any right to tell me what to do.

Comment

A great apology

Oh, I'm not telling you what to do. I'm just saying it would be the right thing to do. You crossed a line that you ought not have crossed and you should make it right. And I agree with G-Man that you should be banned from here. You get away with ten times the shit that anyone else gets away with and I've yet to figure out why.

Comment

A great apology

Ooh, report me then, Mr Big Scary Policeman.

Comment

A great apology

MsD wrote:
                                Where do you do that, if you wanted to?

Comment

A great apology

MsD wrote:
                                  S'pose I could. But then who'd promote Adam Ant gigs and incessantly name drop about the second-tier punk 'stars' and also-rans they've rubbed shoulders with?

Comment

A great apology

What, also-rans like the Pistols, Clash and Siouxsie, you mean? :-)

People asked for info about Adam's gigs.

Comment

A great apology

Ooooo....did you know all them? I think more highly of you now. You're sort of, I dunno, cool by association.

Comment

A great apology

¡Ay caramba! What's going on in this thread?

As for the original topic, yes, that's the way a public apology should be done. None of this "I'm sorry that you were offended" or "some of my words were misconstrued or taken of context" nonsense.

Comment

A great apology

The apology is, indeed, a very good one.

(The thread? Well, I agree with WOM, but I'm not up for getting into it)

Comment

A great apology

Renart wrote:
                                            ¡Ay caramba! What's going on in this thread?
                                            I'm joining G-Man (on the other thread) in encouraging MsD to do the right thing and apologize for saying something she ought not to have said.

And she's behaving largely like she behaved when she first arrived here; before realizing that this was the perfect place to self-aggrandize and promote the business interests of your friends.

Comment

A great apology

Most of my friends don't need promoting; the AA gigs thread is for info only. The only bands I'm actually promoting (elsewhere) I've barely mentioned on here.

That was a reply to something now deleted.

WOM, you've alternated between creeping up my arse and being on my case. Find someone else to obsess about.

Comment

A great apology

Enough about you.

Make with the apology.

Comment

A great apology

Fuck off, you sanctimonious bore.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X