No announcement yet.

Things that irrationally terrified you as a child

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remember the Travis Walton (Fire in the Sky) alien abduction case in Arizona getting reported and while it may not be entirely irrational for a 6/7 year old (I remember it happening around my birthday) to have the shitters put up them by a case like this I can remember the utter petrification and the fairly lengthy period of time it mangled my thought process.

Comment

I was terrified of heights and anything related, flying, cable cars, the tops of windy castles, standing on chairs or near cliff edges. So much so that my family never flew anywhere. We once drove from Suffolk to Venice because I wouldn't get on a plane. I was 17 when I started to try and get over this phobia.

Comment

Labyrinth was on earlier and I still left the room when those red puppet things that sing, take their heads off, throw them around and chase people were on.

Comment

My irrational fears as a kid - flying, heights, mannequins (Doctor Who-related), spiders, dying of all sort of things (being a hypochondriac as I was). My irrational fears as a younger adults - flying, heights, spiders, pumpkins, eating around other people. The last was a quite serious debilitating chronic symptom of my anxiety attacks. As it goes, the treatment that sorted out the latter also sorted out most of the former - albeit I am not great with heights still. Most of my fears now are rational.
          Last edited by Bored Of Education; 18-01-2021, 22:19.

Comment

Rusty old pipelines, especially if they're on a viaduct over roads and rivers, on bridges.
            don't ask me why and maybe I caught a Dr Who episode or Quatermass at an impressionable age but I was quite ill once as a toddler and remember shaking with fear in mum's bed after a nightmare about 'the pipes'

Comment

My ex brother-in-law had a massive problem with rusting water towers and the like, so maybe not so unusual.

On a similar ticket: not really a 'fear', but just something I used to find hard to look at - intricate carving/s within otherwise recognisable solid shapes. I think it's something to do with it looking as though they've been eaten into by beasties.

I appreciate that an example might help here, but I don't have one.

Comment

Originally posted by gavc23 View Post
                Labyrinth was on earlier and I still left the room when those red puppet things that sing, take their heads off, throw them around and chase people were on.
                My eight-year-old granddaughter loves that film, but her face-behind-the-cushion moment is where the goblins first steal the baby, particularly the shots of the cot. Exactly the same scene that used to unsettle my daughter as a child. I seem to recall that her other moment of filmic dread from 20 years ago was the 'boo box' in 'Hook'.

Comment

Not terrifying, but somehow disturbing: the elongated triangle of the "Give Way" road marking in the otherwise interesting road signs section of a Highway Code booklet. No idea why. Can't remember whether I found it equally disturbing when spotted in the wild.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                    something I used to find hard to look at - intricate carving/s within otherwise recognisable solid shapes. I think it's something to do with it looking as though they've been eaten into by beasties.
                    I could include this in the current things thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Lymeswold Snork View Post
                      Not terrifying, but somehow disturbing: the elongated triangle of the "Give Way" road marking in the otherwise interesting road signs section of a Highway Code booklet. No idea why. Can't remember whether I found it equally disturbing when spotted in the wild.
                      Hang on, that would mean that you used to read the Highway Code as a child? Really? Had your parents hidden the Telephone Directory?

Comment

You needed to read the Highway Code if you wanted to pass your Cycling Proficiency Test.

Comment

Working...
                        X