Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Death penalty in America

Bastards murder mentally ill women

Death penalty morally repugnant and legally abhorrent and legally dubious to say the least to begin with, but this is beyond contempt

Filth

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-55642177
    Last edited by Guy Profumo; 13-01-2021, 10:44.

And while we're at it, something our Home Secretary is previously been on record as supporting

(as have I.

But I was sixteen, and didn't have the vote, and wasn't an MP at the time.

And changed my mind in the face of facts, logic.

And common decency and simple humanity)

​​​​​

Comment

Apparently Joe Biden wants to abolish the federal death penalty, so Trump had to move quickly.

Up until 2019 Biden supported the death penalty, and his crime bill introduced new offences that fell under the federal death penalty. It's possible that this woman was on death row thanks to Joe Biden.

Comment

Wasn't she already on death row, Biden's flip flop may have expedited it?

Comment

Agreed on the content, but I think the thread title is offensive.

[Edit: just thinking about how I'd feel if a non-British poster on here, in connection with some heinous act of Priti Patel and Boris Johnson, used the title "British scum".]
          Last edited by Evariste Euler Gauss; 13-01-2021, 10:44.

Comment

Who's talking about all Americans?

These are specific Americans in positions of power who enact capital punishment.

Comment

Would you title a post about one of Modi's nationalist outrages "Indian scum"?

Comment

The one death row story I read about that I found particularly haunting was the guy who was so brain damaged that he told the guards to save the dessert part of his last meal for later.

That was in 1992 in Arkansas. Then Arkansas governor Bill Clinton used it as a photo op, flying back to Arkansas in the middle of the presidential campaign to make sure the guy was executed, so that the Republicans couldn't paint him as soft on crime.

More here:
                https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ricky_Ray_Rector

Comment

Agreed that the title is a bit off, btw

Comment

I agree with EEG about the thread title.

I wondered if there might be a thread about this case. It is one of the most tragic, depressing news stories I've read in a long time (perhaps ever). Every aspect of it is profoundly upsetting. Nothing good could have come out of it, but the execution just adds barbarity to tragedy.

Comment

Can anyone get to the fore in American politics without at least appeasing the god-botherers, and isn't it, ironically, the more fanatical of those who justify both the death penalty and being pro-life by waving bibles around?
                      Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 13-01-2021, 11:01.

Comment

Originally posted by Evariste Euler Gauss View Post
                        Would you title a post about one of Modi's nationalist outrages "Indian scum"?
                        If it's about specific policy enacted by individuals in the executive/legislature/judiciary, yes

SCOTUS, POTUS, and the Senate represent their country to the World.

They are evil.

They are bastards.

​​​​​​They are American.

Comment

Ffs.

Comment

Agreed guy, but also agreed that the thread title needs changing.

Comment

FFS Guy. If you can't see what's wrong with the thread title and your bollocks logical contortions defending it you need to have a sit and think.

Comment

It wouldn't be so bad, but there was already a thread about this called American Scum halfway down the page.

Comment

The statute under which Montgomery was charged, tried, convicted and executed dates from 1932 and was enacted in response to the kidnapping and death of the Lindbergh baby.

She was the eleventh person to be executed by the Trump Administration since July 2020.

There were zero federal executions during the Obama Administrations (the last pre-Trump federal execution was in 2003).

The Supreme Court vote that allowed her execution to go forward was 6-3, with all three Trump-appointed justices voting in favour of the execution.

Comment

Something happens in America I don't like.

<digs through papers trying to blame it on Joe Biden>

<can't find anything / ten seconds pass>

"I am sure that this could be due to Joe Biden"

Comment

"Yeah, thanks Obama."

Comment

https://twitter.com/shaneclaiborne/status/1349847788008460290

Comment

https://twitter.com/stevenmazie/status/1350291759235018758

Comment

It’s all,over.

Comment

https://twitter.com/errolmorris/status/1350475263998615554?s=20

Comment

And again

https://twitter.com/glennkesslerwp/status/1350500791933689863?s=21

Comment

Those Conservative judges sure like killing black people

just read about Dustin Higgs

https://twitter.com/mjs_dc/status/1350498932753895426?s=21
                                                  -

Comment

Working...
                                                  X