No announcement yet.

I haven't used my card in an ATM machine for 6 months

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have nearly a decade's experience working as a cashier. In those circumstances, contactless is fucking brilliant. The amount of time it saves - and faff it avoids - far outweighs any minor concerns I would have.

And to those worried about muggers - you know you can just ring your bank and get the card deactivated instantly, right?

Comment

On the subject of being mugged, er, how many of us leave the house without our expensive phones, potentially a greater loss than easily blocked bank cards? But if you don't have your phone on you...

Comment

My card was refused on a 'bus yesterday

"Because I'd been using it", according to the driver.

Of course I'd been using it, I'd been travelling on 'buses

Thanks a lot, HSBC wankers.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
          I have nearly a decade's experience working as a cashier. In those circumstances, contactless is fucking brilliant. The amount of time it saves - and faff it avoids - far outweighs any minor concerns I would have.

And to those worried about muggers - you know you can just ring your bank and get the card deactivated instantly, right?
          The bank app on my mobile allows me to temporarily block usage of any of my cards, whether because they've been stolen or because I've mislaid them and am a bit worried someone might misuse them. Takes about 10 seconds. Pretty useful if it's the sort of thing that tends to happen or that you worry about.

Comment

Talking of outdated finances, I've got a couple of cheques to pay in. Given that current covid stuff means I haven't left my street this year, I haven't been near a bank in ages. Does anyone know how long cheques last before they go out of date?

Comment

They don't have an expiry date as such but general practice suggests six months.

Comment

Can't you just deposit them by snapping a picture of them with your mobile?

Comment

You can with many UK bank accounts, WOM, but I'm not sure that's true of all, as yet.

(Same with the "suspend my card" function on mobile banking apps)

Thankfully, no-one has been ridiculous enough to give me a bloody cheque for a long time now.

Comment

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post
                    Talking of outdated finances, I've got a couple of cheques to pay in. Given that current covid stuff means I haven't left my street this year, I haven't been near a bank in ages. Does anyone know how long cheques last before they go out of date?
                    My daughter turned 18 last month and after establishing I'd just give her some money, and that she wanted it put in the savings account I look after for her and which is in my name (self-imposed by her) the gift-giving consisted of me doing an account-to-account transfer on the app on my phone, which was a bit lacking in ceremony for an 18th birthday.

Then she opened a card from her grandmother which contained a cheque, and she handed it to me with a look of confusion and horror, the obvious solution to the situation being that I would deal with this old-people's transaction. Then I had to explain she'd have to take it to the bank because it was in her name (and our bank doesn't allow you to do it with a photo yet), and that was another journey of discovery for her.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                      Can't you just deposit them by snapping a picture of them with your mobile?
                      I would have to learn how to take photos on my phone, and also how to internet bank. Walking to town seems less stressful.

Comment

i've been doing my best lately to carry a pocket full of shrapnel, having noticed both a decrease in cash transactions, and an increase in the number of people out and about obviously having a proper rough time of it.

Comment

There seems to be a reluctance on the part of some people to go anywhere or to touch anything. Wear a mask, keep proper distances and wash your hands and you should be fine.

Comment

Yup me. Not going anywhere, so therefore not touching anything.

Comment

If touching things is not a problem, why should we be washing our hands? I mean in a not catching COVID sense, not generally.

Comment

Touching things isn't a problem if our hands are clean.is what I mean.

Comment

If we're the only person touching them, I guess.

Comment

As far as I can make out the mantra about hand washing is a hangover from when it was thought surface transmission was a big thing. The WHO are still pushing it but their advice has been painfully conservative all the way through this (see their reluctance to recommend masks or admit it's airborne).

Comment

It's an excellent thing, though, even if it's not much of a thing for covid (although there is the possibility of a millennium bug effect exaggerating that). More and better hand-washing = good. Keep doing it.

Comment

Absolutely.

Comment

Oh yeah for sure, the emphasis on Hands first in that Hands Face Space bollocks in the U.K. emphasised the wrong thing though, face and space being way more important. Still hear folk going back to work in badly ventilated office happy cos "they really sanitise the surfaces". This has been a crippling time for folk with ocd as well.
                                          Last edited by Lang Spoon; 04-03-2021, 13:42.

Comment

washing yer hands is ace, and is somert you should all be doing frequently. it's its own reward!

the discussion is giving me flashbacks to a time around... spring/summer last year? when it almost felt like all this was under control, a friend (of a friend) of mine who is a little, shall we say, conspiracy-minded pointedly asked me whether "i'm one of them people who's washing their hands now". didn't know what to say.

Comment

My most recent manager before the current one is always sharp dressed, often suit and tie, and always freshly shaved. So it was a surprise when I found out that he didn't wash his hands after using the toilet. At first I thought it was a once off, then noticed it was all the time. I don't understand how people who look after themselves in other ways don't do the basics. It's like some people in pubs that I've seen having a piss ,and then fixing their hair in the mirror, maybe urine is a type of hair gel I've never heard of.

Comment

I worked for the UK branch of a large US toilet tissue and personal care and cleaning products company. When they launched their commercial soap products - for use in factories, shops, pubs and so on - in the UK they initially ordered product from the US based on historic US sales and usage info. So much of it ended up being binned off, after sitting in the UK warehouse for so very long. I have a vague memory of the UK per-person usage being something like an eighth of that in the US.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                                                  Oh yeah for sure, the emphasis on Hands first in that Hands Face Space bollocks in the U.K. emphasised the wrong thing though, face and space being way more important. Still hear folk going back to work in badly ventilated office happy cos "they really sanitise the surfaces". This has been a crippling time for folk with ocd as well.
                                                  When our office opened up a bit last autumn, an employee tested positive and they shut the office for three days while they did a "deep clean", as if the virus was holed up behind the photocopier like the Sundance Kid.

There has also been a policy throughout of quarantining the post for three days before touching it.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                                                    My most recent manager before the current one is always sharp dressed, often suit and tie, and always freshly shaved. So it was a surprise when I found out that he didn't wash his hands after using the toilet. At first I thought it was a once off, then noticed it was all the time. I don't understand how people who look after themselves in other ways don't do the basics. It's like some people in pubs that I've seen having a piss ,and then fixing their hair in the mirror, maybe urine is a type of hair gel I've never heard of.
                                                    There was some claim once (possibly by the manufacturers) that rates of hand washing in Gents' toilets in pubs and other public areas were remarkably higher if there was an air blade or similarly whizzy dryer because they are seen as "more masculine".

Comment

Working...
                                                    X