No announcement yet.

I haven't used my card in an ATM machine for 6 months

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please let us know how impressed Mrs NS is with your initiative and handiwork.

looks a lot better. That is bang-for-your-buck in action.

Comment

I was going to invite NS over for a tour of a truly disastrous kitchen that somehow still "works", but now I'm wondering what the deal is for grouting visas.

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post
        Please let us know how impressed Mrs NS is with your initiative and handiwork.

looks a lot better. That is bang-for-your-buck in action.

Oh, she was pleased when she first saw it, though I await the always tense follow-up inspection.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
          Everyone happy now?
          Very nice work. I have a grouting tool that does a good job, but we had Russian guys put in a new bow window and his calking tool of choice was a wet finger. Can't argue with experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post
            The level of tetchy defensiveness on display is quite amusing though.
            I think the only person displaying tetchy defensiveness was me.

And I wasn't just amusing, I was thighbone-breaking hilarious.

Comment

It's more the usual people with cleaners droning on and on about how it's fine, tbh, after someone a few years back made a tiny joke about it.
              As I remember the original thread all those years ago on OldTF it was a bunch of people vociferously arguing that having a cleaner was approximately the same as being a member of the reich while pro-cleaner people gloated about how clean their gaffs were and how they were providing jobs, while you probably popped in every now and then to say "what's a cleaner?" /wink thing
              Last edited by hobbes; 16-01-2021, 15:32.

Comment

Sounds about right, hobbes.

Comment

Contactless payment limit upped to 100 quid in the budget.

Remember when the budget was a thing? They used to move the kids TV programmes out of the way for it.

Comment

With furlough extended to September, this UK UBI experiment is becoming very interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
                      How is that a budget or a government thing?

Comment

Remember when the budget was a thing? They used to move the kids TV programmes out of the way for it.

I used to memorise all the excise duty increases and then pass on the details to my dad when he came home from work.

He'd reply "bloody typical" or "bloody useless politicians" and then sit down to eat his dinner.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post

It is a bloody EU thing. Bloody Europe and its one size (45 quid) fits all rules. BREXIT WIN.

Comment

Remember (OK, before our time) when Hugh Dalton felt obliged to resign as Chancellor in 1947 for accidentally revealing one sentence of his Budget speech to a reporter some minutes before delivering the speech to Parliament? All used to be top secret up to that point. Now it's a miracle if there's any material content left that hasn't already been trailed by way of leaks to pet journalists.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post

It's financial policy governed by Treasury and has a place in law, and that place is the Finance Act, and the budget is effectively the announcement of what is going to be in the Finance Act (except for those parts which the Chancellor can enact immediately, like putting tobacco duty up at 6pm etc).

It would be a similar if they announced they were getting rid of 2p coins or something.

Comment

It's financial policy governed by Treasury and has a place in law, and that place is the Finance Act, and the budget is effectively the announcement of what is going to be in the Finance Act (except for those parts which the Chancellor can enact immediately, like putting tobacco duty up at 6pm etc).

It would be a similar if they announced they were getting rid of 2p coins or something.
                                Well blow me. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
                                  If I remember correctly, when we did this (is it acceptable to employ a cleaner?) on OTF Gold it turned into some kind of all-out flame war. Not quite as bad as the Clissold Park Cous-Cous war, but nearly so.
                                  Having a cleaner is perfectly fine, however hyphenating "couscous" is an offence which should see you hurled bodily into the nearest river.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                                    I used to memorise all the excise duty increases and then pass on the details to my dad when he came home from work.

He'd reply "bloody typical" or "bloody useless politicians" and then sit down to eat his dinner.
                                    ...and then the next day, if he bought any tabloid paper he'd see a caricature of the Chancellor of the day on the front page - if it was a "giveaway" budget the Chancellor would have a red nose and a drink in one hand, a fag or cigar in the other, with money spilling out of his pockets. If it was a "tight" budget he'd have one hand out taking money from a family, while with the other hand wagging his finger at smokers and drinkers.

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post

Having a cleaner is perfectly fine, however hyphenating "couscous" is an offence which should see you hurled bodily into the nearest river.
                                      Eating couscous makes you middle class. FACT.

I have no opinion on the hy-phen, however.

Comment

It so happens that we had couscous for dinner last night, so that is good to know

Does the classification vary at all by variety?

Is Moroccan small grain inherently more or less posh than Israeli large grain?

Comment

The fact that you're aware of the difference is definitely more posh.

Comment

So increasing the contactless payment thing to a hundred quid doubles your exposure to loss or theft. Or mugging. Ta, mate. I guess the threat of having someone instantly nick around five hundred quid off you doesn't register when you've married a billionaire, but it would fuck me off.
                                            Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 03-03-2021, 17:29.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                              It so happens that we had couscous for dinner last night, so that is good to know

Does the classification vary at all by variety?

Is Moroccan small grain inherently more or less posh than Israeli large grain?
                                              You get much more middle-classier if you have a moral dilemma over having the latter because of Palestine, but eventually opt for it because "well, we can't make that much difference, dear"

Comment

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post
                                                Eating couscous makes you middle class. FACT.
                                                Hilariously Anglocentric. It's like if I was saying eating curry makes you middle class.

Comment

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post
                                                  Hilariously Anglocentric. It's like if I was saying eating curry makes you middle class.
                                                  Deffo part of what made me middle class, as a kid, the curry thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                                                    So increasing the contactless payment thing to a hundred quid doubles your exposure to loss or theft. Or mugging. Ta, mate. I guess the threat of having someone instantly nick around five hundred quid off you doesn't register when you've married a billionaire, but it would fuck me off.

Seriously. Wow. What a thing to get annoyed about.

I suggest that you either don't get a contactless card or immediately cut up the one you currently own in order to avoid any of the pitfalls that you're worried about.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X