No announcement yet.

I haven't used my card in an ATM machine for 6 months

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't be arsed to read back. Is someone really whining about people having cleaners? How very 2003.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
      I use an agency, so the cleaner is earning properly.
      You found an agency that pays cleaners LLW or more? I did look, but couldn't find one covering SW London, back in the day.

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
      Can't be arsed to read back. Is someone really whining about people having cleaners? How very 2003.
      It's more the usual people with cleaners droning on and on about how it's fine, tbh, after someone a few years back made a tiny joke about it.

Comment

They're now based in Acton apparently (which must be a recent-ish move) - and, yes, even with commission I'm paying well over LLW.

Sorry to drone on.

Comment

If you have a cleaner, do you stay in the house while they're there? It's a genuine question - I'd feel rude if they came round and I went out, but if I was there while they were cleaning away I would feel so embarrassed and lazy that I couldn't cope.

Comment

In my case, I leave her to it - my flat's not that vast and it's only for a couple of hours.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
              They're now based in Acton apparently (which must be a recent-ish move) - and, yes, even with commission I'm paying well over LLW.
              Looks like there are a few now that ensure cleaners are paid at least LLW. That's good.

Comment

My wife gets paid by the DWP to clean for our disabled daughter. Its not a huge amount, but thats not the point. Anyone who has an issue with people that clean or those who employ people to clean for them can go and do one quite frankly.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                  It's more the usual people with cleaners droning on and on about how it's fine, tbh, after someone a few years back made a tiny joke about it.
                  The level of tetchy defensiveness on display is quite amusing though.

Comment

It's intriguing too, for me, Fb.

Comment

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post
                      If you have a cleaner, do you stay in the house while they're there? It's a genuine question - I'd feel rude if they came round and I went out, but if I was there while they were cleaning away I would feel so embarrassed and lazy that I couldn't cope.
                      I schedule them for when I'm going to be out. It would feel way too weird for them to be working around me.

Comment

I sit in my office while they're cleaning the rest of the house - which is about 95% of the time - then go somewhere else, like the kitchen, when they're in my office. I don't feel particularly lazy, not any more than I do when someone comes to replace the gutters or when I take my bike in to have the chain replaced. By which I mean that there's a nagging feeling that I should be doing it myself before I remember that I won't do it nearly as well, it would take forever, I'd hate doing it, and I am actually a little lazy and would rather spend my time doing something more fun.

Comment

Oh, so having a single cleaner is no longer enough for you, eh?

Comment

Sounds like a team.

Comment

A lot of those franchise cleaning services have 4 women to a car. I'll bet he's got one of those going on.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post

Howard Stern used to play a news clip of a guy in the US who foiled a home invasion robbery by 'hitting the guy with a smoothie'. The reporter paused and said "sorry...what's a smoothie?" 'You know...it gets hot and you smooth your clothes.' So now we routinely call the iron a smoothie.
                                So the person who did the ironing would have been, in Sade's words, a Smoothie Operator?

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                  In the urban residential context here, loft has two very different meanings.

The more common is the "repurposed" former light industrial space that first took off in SoHo in the 70s (when such spaces lacked certificates of occupancy, not to mention all kinds of mod cons) and has since spread widely (including being used for new construction in the "style").

The other is older, but less common, and generally used for particularly small spaces with high ceilings in which either a sleeping platform or a storage space has been constructed. This is a very high end example from Greenwich Village

And yes, just to piss off Ton Ton, there are a handful of (industrial) lofts that include (sleeping) lofts.
                                  Isn't that mezzanine, rather than a loft?

Comment

Not in USian usage, where "mezzanine" isn't used for residences

Comment

I think a mezzanine needs to be between levels (like the main floor in WOMs house). There is no way up from that loft bed, plus you probably cannot stand up fully.

Comment

We don't have a cleaner at the moment (covid.) Normally we're around when we do but try and make ourselves scarce. Mainly because it's dead easy to start chatting with them, which is OK but they need to be paid for their time, and we're not really paying them to be conversation partners.

Comment

Alot of tthe more well-off Spanish families employ someone -usually female and invariably .South American- not only for the cleaning but for midweek cooking and casual childminding for kids who come home from sch ool around 2.15 or so.

Comment

Comment

Everyone happy now?

Comment

Everybody's Happy Nowadays...

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                                                  Everyone happy now?
                                                  What, have you thrown the blender away?

Comment

What, have you thrown the blender away?

I've dealt with the "grouting scenario".

Comment

Working...
                                                    X