I haven't used my card in an ATM machine for 6 months

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TonTon View Post

I think that means you are not the least WOMy, surely?
    Yes, you're right. Better said "I used to think I was the least Wommy..." (or the most unwommy)

Comment

That is a much, much less awful usage than the more common one.
      You used to hear about blokes who fancied themselves being 'a bit of a smoothie' but I don't know if that's still au courant.

Comment

Cistern? Why would there be a cistern? There might be a water tank. But you'd get rid of it, and not have one.
        I thought old houses had a water holding tank in the loft / attic. Am I misinformed, or are you just mucking about with words.

Comment

We do have "loft apartments", don't we? Or do we not?
          We do, but I tend to think of the term as affectation and borrowed from the US for the connotation of edgy stylishness.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post

I think that "loft" and "attic" are fairly interchangeable terms when it comes to home residences but rarely used in relation to old industrial buildings.
            I always think of an 'attic' as an already-serviceable room (usually a study or similar), whereas a 'loft' is merely space for storage - which is why it would need converting in order to make it in any way habitable.

In my mind's eye, attics always have old desks and sepia-tinted globes in them...the dust of ages illuminated by a slender shaft of late-afternoon sunlight playing through a small propped-open window, the only discernible sound the distant bark of a dog from a neighbouring field.

Comment

I think loft apartments in the UK are an attempt to make actual loft conversions as flats sound bearable

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                Final question: what do you do about the cistern up there?

I'm going to have a combination boiler installed which will enable me to decommission the tanks. TBH, I've never really been all that happy about having a number of large water vessels at the top of the house, just waiting to sprout a leak,

Comment

I thought old houses had a water holding tank in the loft / attic. Am I misinformed, or are you just mucking about with words.
                  They do but you can replumb your house not to have/need it any longer

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post

Trust me, the grouting is one of the least problematic of the things that need doing to the kitchen to make it look even vaguely decent.

It seems to have reached an uneasy truce with the RCD.
                    My understanding is that you are generally in the process of removing people from your household rather than adding them. So why convert the loft (adding square footage) rather than fixing sub-par living space first?

Let us help spend your money!

Comment

Originally posted by sw2borshch View Post

You used to hear about blokes who fancied themselves being 'a bit of a smoothie' but I don't know if that's still au courant.
                      My father thought that this usage was way by its sell by date.

He died two decades ago.

Comment

Originally posted by sw2borshch View Post

David Hunter in Crossroads was a bit of a smoothie.

Treibeis is the obvious extant smoothie.

Comment

The UK limit for contactless has been raised (in response to COVID hygiene concerns) to, what, ?45?
                          The limit only applies to cards anyway. If you pay with your phone (ie Apple Pay, Google Pay, Samsung Pay etc, they're so imaginative) there's no limit, or if there is it's way higher than ?45.

Daewoo make appliances?
                          Generally with chaebols you should be asking if there's something they don't make.

Comment

In the urban residential context here, loft has two very different meanings.

The more common is the "repurposed" former light industrial space that first took off in SoHo in the 70s (when such spaces lacked certificates of occupancy, not to mention all kinds of mod cons) and has since spread widely (including being used for new construction in the "style").

The other is older, but less common, and generally used for particularly small spaces with high ceilings in which either a sleeping platform or a storage space has been constructed. This is a very high end example from Greenwich Village

And yes, just to piss off Ton Ton, there are a handful of (industrial) lofts that include (sleeping) lofts.

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post

My understanding is that you are generally in the process of removing people from your household rather than adding them. So why convert the loft (adding square footage) rather than fixing sub-par living space first?

Let us help spend your money!
                              Haha. My teenage daughter's bedroom is tiny and we don't have a spare bedroom, so Mrs. NS and I would move into the converted loft, our daughter would inherit our bedroom after a thorough redecoration, our son would remain in his on his returns from university and until he moves into the luxury Thames-side residence of his dreams and our daughter's old room becomes a spare bedroom/office/storage room. Then, in the dim and distant future, Mrs. NS and I sell our now four-bedroomed house within easy commuting distance of Central London (if that's even still a thing) and buy a charming cottage or bungalow near the Dorset coast, where we end our days endlessly bickering about food blender designs and who's knee joints will need replacing first.
                              Last edited by Nocturnal Submission; 14-01-2021, 00:25.

Comment

Nary a word about backsplash calking.

Comment

Really? I've not come across such a place for a good while now.
                                  Yeah. In the centre of the city you can do it on your phone. But there are a number of people (like me) who don't have phones that take feeds, so even they take cash.

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post

A tube of caulk will cost you less that 20 quid (with dispenser). I think it is slightly cheaper and going to fill the intervening five years before you do the kitchen.

How is the oven?
                                    Way less than that. A decent caulk is not more more than a quid while the basic gun to apply it shouldn't be much more than a fiver.

It's a skill getting a good bead though. I'm terrible at it.

Comment

Sorry for the delay - I think others have answered the real question. I was, indeed, messing with words. "Cistern" is for a toilet. Lots of those old water tanks have already gone from houses, and if you were doing the loft you'd deffo get rid.

Comment

A couple of things, on the recent content:

1) I looked it up, all by myself

A chaebol (Korean: 재벌; lit. "rich family") is a large industrial conglomerate that is run and controlled by an owner or family in South Korea. A chaebol often consists of many diversified affiliates, controlled by an owner whose power over the group often exceeds legal authority. The first known use in an English text was in 1972. Several dozen large South Korean family-controlled corporate groups fall under this definition.
                                        2)

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                                        phones that take feeds
                                        What's this? I'm assuming it means something like "phones that you can't use to pay for parking with", but I can't see how it means that.

3)

backsplash
                                        Now are you messing with words, or do you really call splashbacks backsplashes?

That's all for now, thanks.

Comment

Nary a word about backsplash calking.
                                          I was busy. And the thread had moved on.

Comment

What's this? I'm assuming it means something like "phones that you can't use to pay for parking with", but I can't see how it means that.
                                            That's right. My phone allows calls and texts but doesn't do internet stuff, except for a few things I can specify (podcasts for example.)

Comment

Splashback is what happens at urinals after you've had a few. Backsplashes are tiles behind the sink.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post

That's right. My phone allows calls and texts but doesn't do internet stuff, except for a few things I can specify (podcasts for example.)
                                                Great, so I got it right. Go me! Or rather, go you for good context, thus enabling understanding even where word usage might not be the same. Other posters should take note.

Comment

Meh.

Comment

Well I didn't mention any names, WOM, but if the cap fits...

Comment

Working...
                                                    X