No announcement yet.

I haven't used my card in an ATM machine for 6 months

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm still waiting for someone to mount a comeback in the Middle-Class Problems combat from this morning, incidentally.

Jah launched a doozy with this one:
    Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
    I've barely used cash over the past ten months, but withdrew a tenner before Christmas to give my cleaner a small bonus
    But Janik batted it straight back with this beauty:
    Originally posted by Janik View Post
    there will likely be an item or two missing from any order (my one last week had no olives in it as apparently there were 'no suitable substitutions available'!)
    Both corkers, I think we can agree.

Comment

I'm going to allow olives. Try telling the folks of the Med that olives are posh. However, having a cleaner is unforgivable and Jah's head will be taken from his shoulders come the revolution. And no one will be asked to clear up the mess after. He'll have to do it himself.
      Last edited by EIM; 12-01-2021, 13:42.

Comment

Heheh, I was waiting to see who would be the first person to launch the Mediterranean defence. (Presumably a broader version of the Sicilian Defence.)

Comment

Bank machine, yes, they say that too.

Comment

The day before payday, I have been known to call the cashpoint names such as "Babydoll" and "hunnybunny" and "love of my life", in the hope it'll let me have twenty quid that I know I haven't got.

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
              By the way Rogin, if you're going to say "ATM machine", surely you might as well go the whole hog and say "PIN number" as well...?

I'm not even sure when I last used one, anyway. I've paid with cash precisely once since last March, on the single occasion during the COVID-lull of late summer when I decided to risk nipping into to the local chip shop as a treat – and it turned out they don't take cards. Other than that it's been contactless all the way. I've still got the same small change lying around on my bedroom chest of drawers as was sitting there last spring.
              Gah, missed this first time around. Sorry, VA.
              Last edited by Ray de Galles; 12-01-2021, 13:56.

Comment

Fussbudget is correct that supermarket delivery slots vary widely depending on where you are; my sister still gets Asda deliveries regularly in rural Lanarkshire, but the blamelesses haven't had a delivery in S.London since January last year. As mrs b and I don't have kids, aren't particularly old, not medically vulnerable, and don't work for the NHS we're absolutely no-one's priority for a delivery slot so we still do food shopping in person.

Comment

I'm still trying to work out Rogin's PIN

Comment

2751. But he just changed it there.

Comment

Originally posted by diggedy derek View Post
                      Am I the only one who keeps a small wodge of cash at home in case the whole grid comes crashing down and I need to feed my family.
                      We keep a handful of Bitcoin for that.

Comment

Originally posted by sw2borshch View Post
                        Bank machine, yes, they say that too.
                        It's a bonk machine in Inverness:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wU5NsOpdx0

Comment

https://youtu.be/hfzotr0qdFE

I enjoyed that and the next video I got served.

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
                            I'm still waiting for someone to mount a comeback in the Middle-Class Problems combat from this morning, incidentally.

Jah launched a doozy with this one:
                            But Janik batted it straight back with this beauty:

Both corkers, I think we can agree.
                            I went to Waitrose yesterday evening and was outraged* that they didn't stock borscht.

* Mildly surprised. I bought some French onion soup for Mrs. NS instead.

Comment

I didn't know borscht was something you buy. I thought it was only something you make.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                                I didn't know borscht was something you buy. I thought it was only something you make.
                                Yes, it must be easy to make, mustn't it, but it's my wife who loves it (I can't abide beetroot) and she's not, erm, that enthusiastic when it comes to food preparation from scratch.

Though, and this nicely segues into something I was going to mention, we have just bought a new food blender which would be perfect for making a spot of beetroot soup. Thing is, the setting dial is slightly off of true and it's setting my neatfreakometer clanging every time I see it. I'm genuinely having to make a conscious effort not to glance in its direction when I go into the kitchen.
                                Last edited by Nocturnal Submission; 12-01-2021, 15:20.

Comment

I'd bin it. It's the only way.

Comment

I'd bin it. It's the only way.
                                    I might have to turn it around to face the wall, a deserved punishment but also providing a handy excuse to avoid having to gaze upon its wonky visage.

Comment

I mean, I ask you:

Comment

I think that it might be deliberate, which is even worse.

Comment

That's new? I don't mean to be rude. It just looks very old-fashioned in design, but not in a retro way.

Is it the SDA1088RD? If so, I think you're right, it is designed that way.

Comment

That's new? I don't mean to be rude. It just looks very old-fashioned in design, but not in a retro way.

Is it the SDA1088RD? If so, I think you're right, it is designed that way.
                                            Yup, that's the one.

Sadists!

Comment

This is like an old time children's book about a cheeky, lopsided blender sent to live with its stern great-uncle Nocturnal.

Things start off badly, but over time the irrepressible little appliance melts the flinty old buzzard's heart, while learning valuable lessons about responsibility and civic duty.

Comment

When I had a cleaner, I gave her a krismas box in cash, yeah. That was a few years back. And a bit more than a tenner. But yeah, cash for that. Not sure what you'd do otherwise in that situation.
                                                She only started in October - I'm sure I'll up the amount next time out.

(Assuming that there are no more breakages.)

Originally posted by EIM View Post
                                                I'm going to allow olives. Try telling the folks of the Med that olives are posh. However, having a cleaner is unforgivable and Jah's head will be taken from his shoulders come the revolution. And no one will be asked to clear up the mess after. He'll have to do it himself.
                                                I don't run a gas-guzzling car, I don't take three holidays a year, buy expensive jewellery/watches/similar status-symbols - I'll spend my money how I choose, thank you very much. As everyone knows, house-cleaning is an almighty pain in the posterior, so why not pay for somebody to do it better than I would? Besides, I'm offering employment at a very difficult time for people. (And I live in a flat - it's neither a big job, nor that expensive.)

Agree with you regarding the olives, however.
                                                Last edited by Jah Womble; 12-01-2021, 15:50.

Comment

I don't mean to go all 'WOM' on you, but you really need to calk that gap between the countertop and backsplash tiles.

Comment

"The dial's tilt is to represent the appliance's willingness to be started, appearing as it does to be inclined towards the "On" settings to indicate its eagerness to start blending your sauces, soups and, of course, smoothies!"

Comment

Working...
                                                    X