I haven't used my card in an ATM machine for 6 months

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
    That surprises me. There are a number of outlets around these parts that specify 'card only' - but for most of us that's been pretty much implicit for several months.

Do you especially want to be handling change at the moment, though? Not sure I do.
    Maybe not, but I think the consensus is that with frequent hand washing these risks are much reduced?

Comment

Everywhere still takes cash here. They have to, loads of people don't have cards (or have been given one by the bank but have never used it).

Back in the UK I know my mum still uses cash, because her neighbours include in their supermarket delivery orders and she has to pay them, clearly. Not sure how that could be handled cashlessly.

Comment

Erm, via bank transfer? Takes two minutes.

I've last withdrawn cash on 13 March, apparently. I don't use it much at the best of times.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
          Everywhere still takes cash here. They have to, loads of people don't have cards (or have been given one by the bank but have never used it).

Back in the UK I know my mum still uses cash, because her neighbours include in their supermarket delivery orders and she has to pay them, clearly. Not sure how that could be handled cashlessly.
          It's easy to do if you have (and are comfortable with) internet banking and a mobile phone, but I'm not making any presumptions about your mother in that regard.

I went through a drive-thru with my daughter a few months ago and between placing the order and getting to the window I realised I couldn't find my wallet, so managed to send her some money via mobile, then take her phone and use it as a debit card (mine not being enabled to do that), without causing a horn-beeping tailback behind us.

Comment

The word "Cashpoint" has been trademarked by Lloyds Bank since 1986. They'd been using it since 1972.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
              withdrew a tenner before Christmas to give my cleaner a small bonus
              When I had a cleaner, I gave her a krismas box in cash, yeah. That was a few years back. And a bit more than a tenner. But yeah, cash for that. Not sure what you'd do otherwise in that situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post
                The way she describes it, that would take either going down to the post office (possible, though kind of going against the point) or spending half an hour on the phone. I don't think she does online banking (or online much at all, frankly)

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
                  * - you only need to confirm you items 24 hours prior to the delivery, but need to reserve the slots more forward than that.
                  This varies by supermarket and by area. No supermarket around here allows you to book more than a week in advance, and the slots fill quickly (they used to show 2 or 3 weeks at a time, but stopped this when the orders surged in the first lockdown and haven't changed it back since.)

Comment

We're doing Sainsbo's delivery twice a week, currently. Booking the next one shortly, having had a delivery this morning. So I'll have a look how far forward I could book if I wanted to.

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
                      To the best of my knowledge I’ve never heard anyone says ATM.
                      Certainly not in the UK, especially as 'ATM machine" would mean 'Automated Teller Machine Machine".

Which I suppose people would input their "Personal Identification Number Number" in to.

Comment

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post

I've last withdrawn cash on 13 March, apparently. I don't use it much at the best of times.
                        Except to pay me, as a consequence of our (my, for clarity) mam and dad's policy of Quantatitive Easing.

Comment

Most people I talk to cashpoints about say "cash machine". I think I do about 50/50 cashpoint / cash machine. But I am OLD. Young people don't use cash.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post

When I had a cleaner, I gave her a krismas box in cash, yeah. That was a few years back. And a bit more than a tenner. But yeah, cash for that. Not sure what you'd do otherwise in that situation.
                            Yeah we give the cleaner cash in a Christmas card. Usually I chuck a fifty in which is an extra week's money plus a tenner. This year she's struggling a bit as she's a carer and cleaner and having long term medical treatment, so covid's been a right pain for her, so I upped it a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by sw2borshch View Post
                              My major source of cash over the last 9-10 months has been from our mam & dad in restitution for the stuff I have bought off the internet for them. I would be happy if one time they paid me back in pound coins to give me some tipping change.
                              Yes, we buy and deliver groceries for vulnerable neighbours who then reimburse us with cash so if we visit an ATM any time soon it will be to pay money in.

EFTPOS was a technical term that emerged in the '80s in electronic trade mags to describe the then futuristic concept of dosh being moved from your bank account to a retailer without the need for any type of intermediary. I'm surprised to hear that it's still in common parlance.

Comment

I think when I had a holiday job in a Heron garage in 1985 we called the new weird phone-line-connected credit card machine "EFTPOS". It mostly didn't work.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                  I don't think she does online banking (or online much at all, frankly)
                                  Ah yes fair enough. I guess there are things like Paypal that she could use without being set up for online banking, but that still relies on her being comfortable enough online.

Comment

As for shopping, only I go and I try to go only once a week and late enough that there's no queue. Even with covid I refuse to go anywhere I have to queue to get into.
                                    So it's Waitrose at 8:15pm usually. And I self-scan so I don't have to interact with anyone.

Comment

I don't think I've ever known a British person talk about the "ATM", but it is a recognised international standard name for these things so I think it's perfectly fair enough to use it for this thread's title – though, as I joked about on the first page and Ray reiterates above, without the tautology.

I'd probably say "cashpoint" as a matter of course, as would most people I know, I think, though some might say "cash machine" – my dad probably would, as he's one for appending 'machine' to anything vaguely newfangled: e.g. he would talk about my "Wii machine" in a way I've never heard anyone else refer to a games console.

My parents used to talk about going to the "hole in the wall" quite a decent percentage of the time when I was growing up, but that one appears to have dropped out of common parlance. I think it was the Barclays trademarked name for their ATMs, as Cashpoint was for Lloyds', but it's the latter that ended up as the widely genericised word in the manner of 'hoover'.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post

When I had a cleaner, I gave her a krismas box in cash, yeah. And a bit more than a tenner.
                                        No 'accidents' with your pictures either, I'll bet.

Comment

You're all wrong; it's a money machine.

Comment

We had a cash crisis before Christmas when my son lost his two front teeth and the tooth fairy had to scramble to find the coins.

Comment

Originally posted by slackster View Post
                                              Reg Varney will be spinning in his grave, as cashpoints go the way of chequebooks and smaller High St bank branches.
                                              Right here in Enfield, 1967, at a Barclays hole in the wall, fact fans.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                                                You're all wrong; it's a money machine.
                                                You're VA's dad AICMFP

Comment

Rumbled! I hope you're not insisting on claiming in cash Fussbudget...

EFTPOS meanwhile is a term I hadn't thought about for a while – it was all over the place when I lived in New Zealand, but I've never come across it before or since.

I rather like this Antipodean "paywave" name, I have to say: it is indeed a bit more indicative than the admittedly vague "contactless".

I was a slow adopter of the latter (the action, not the name I mean) prior to last year, having experimented with it precisely once when in London for the 2017 World Athletics Championships then decided in an oddly fuddy-duddy fashion that I preferred to keep on with cash or chip-and-pin for the next couple of years before finally coming around to it. I think I found the act of just airily waving away one's money so easily a bit unnerving, frankly.

I'm glad I did get on board, though, as handling cash that's been through goodness knows how many other pairs of hands (and pockets, and under beds, and wherever) is – at the best of times – one of the dirtiest things we habitually do when you think about it, and this last 10 months it's been a real no-no so I've avoided it wherever possible. I've got a small stash at home where other people have given me it for various services rendered, but I've literally and figuratively tried not to touch it.
                                                  Last edited by Various Artist; 12-01-2021, 13:18.

Comment

Our contactless is just called Tap.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X