X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hole in the wall, that's another one.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
      And you still need coin for parking meters in many places.
      Really? I've not come across such a place for a good while now.

Comment

I reckon I use the cash point about once a week - much reduced need for cash, certainly, but I'm still using it at our corner shop (box of eggs, occasional pie or a paper for me mam), to tip the Domino's delivery driver, to leave a tip in the coffee shop, to pay for my haircut (when I could get one), to pay at the hand car wash (when it was open), and one of the local chippies doesn't take cards (which is probably a bad sign in other ways but their salt & pepper chicken is the best around).

I'd say the main areas where I've switched to contactless have been Greggs, Nero, Maccy's drive-thru and the Post Office.

Comment

Cash machine is the term I would use. To the best of my knowledge I’ve never heard anyone says ATM.

And ?45 is the contactless limit these days - anything over that will need a pin. But these days, who is making purchases of greater than that in person? If it’s bought online, then the pin isn’t required.

Comment

All the parking meters that take coins that I’ve come across in the last year have had some kind of option to pay by card or phone as well. Indeed sometimes the coin slot has been taped off and it is only the card/phone payments that are possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
              And ?45 is the contactless limit these days - anything over that will need a pin. But these days, who is making purchases of greater than that in person?
              People who have a family and who are trying to go to the supermarket as infrequently as possible. Which is fair number of people.

Comment

All the parking meters that take coins that I’ve come across in the last year have had some kind of option to pay by card or phone as well. Indeed sometimes the coin slot has been taped off and it is only the card/phone payments that are possible.
                I may been unlucky but the twice I've found myself needing to park in a place that only took payment by phone/internet, I had to spend about 10 minutes registering with the company operating it first, then going through a series of validation messages by text and finally being able to pay. Thankfully I wasn't just nipping into a shop for a butty or I'd have jibbed it altogether.

Comment

Cash machine is the term I would use. To the best of my knowledge I’ve never heard anyone says ATM.
                  You need to tell google maps. And foreign hotel staff. Which is probably where I've picked that terminology from.

Comment

My major source of cash over the last 9-10 months has been from our mam & dad in restitution for the stuff I have bought off the internet for them. I would be happy if one time they paid me back in pound coins to give me some tipping change.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                      People who have a family and who are trying to go to the supermarket as infrequently as possible. Which is fair number of people.
                      Have a family, trying to go to the supermarket as infrequently as possible and are not organised enough to book home delivery slots over a fortnight in advance*, you mean. Because someone doing everything they could to go to the supermarket as infrequently as possible currently would be going there never.

* - you only need to confirm you items 24 hours prior to the delivery, but need to reserve the slots more forward than that.

Comment

Have a family, trying to go to the supermarket as infrequently as possible and are not organised enough to book home delivery slots over a fortnight in advance*, you mean. Because someone doing everything they could to go to the supermarket as infrequently as possible currently would be going there never.

* - you only need to confirm you items 24 hours prior to the delivery, but need to reserve the slots more forward than that.
                        Hmm. Ok. Perhaps. For some people. (Can't do that here for example). And what i have heard of home delivery from supermarkets is that it's a bit hit or miss, and you don;t always end up with what you wanted. But sure, if you say so.

Comment

I do need to draw out a tenner or two once a month or so to cover small purchases - the four convenience stores within a mile of my house don't take any kind of card payments for any transactions under three or five quid.

Comment

Hmm. Ok. Perhaps. For some people. (Can't do that here for example). And what i have heard of home delivery from supermarkets is that it's a bit hit or miss, and you don;t always end up with what you wanted. But sure, if you say so.
                            I like seeing the food before I pay for it.

Comment

I've barely used cash over the past ten months, but withdrew a tenner before Christmas to give my cleaner a small bonus. She repaid this extraordinary act of kindness by breaking a picture frame in my hallway.

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                              I went two days ago to withdraw money and will do so again today, I like cash.
                              Not many retailers do at present, however.

Comment

what i have heard of home delivery from supermarkets is that it's a bit hit or miss, and you don;t always end up with what you wanted.
                                Yes, there will likely be an item or two missing from any order (my one last week had no olives in it as apparently there were 'no suitable substitutions available'!). It depends what your priorities are then, doesn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                  I've barely used cash over the past ten months, but withdrew a tenner before Christmas to give my cleaner a small bonus. She repaid this extraordinary act of kindness by breaking a picture frame in my hallway.

Not many retailers do at present, however.
                                  No problem here at all.

Comment

Am I the only one who keeps a small wodge of cash at home in case the whole grid comes crashing down and I need to feed my family.

Comment

Originally posted by diggedy derek View Post
                                      Am I the only one who keeps a small wodge of cash at home in case the whole grid comes crashing down and I need to feed my family.
                                      No. My wodge also serves or, more accurately now, served as an emergency supply for when I run (ran) out of cash and couldn't get to a cash machine (the nearest to my home is some distance away).

Comment

I have a sterling stash and a Euro stash. Generally been used for paying heating engineers.

Comment

It always reminds me of the Boro cocaine smuggler who had a stash of one million quid, one million US dollars and one million Swiss francs in cash in his garage.

Comment

I also have small stashes of Czech and Swiss currency.

Comment

I think I still have a Czech tenner left from Ostrava.

Comment

Originally posted by slackster View Post
                                                Reg Varney will be spinning in his grave, as cashpoints go the way of chequebooks and smaller High St bank branches.
                                                I deal with inpayments every Wednesday, and you'd be amazed how many chequebooks are still out there, in Ireland anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                                                  No problem here at all.
                                                  That surprises me. There are a number of outlets around these parts that specify 'card only' - but for most of us that's been pretty much implicit for several months.

Do you especially want to be handling change at the moment, though? Not sure I do.

Comment

On the terminology/language issues raised above:

I've always generally used the expression "cash point" for an ATM, but I vaguely recall that's one of those cases where a trademark (belonging to Lloyds as far as the UK is concerned?) gets used generically, like "hoover". "ATM" is technically correct.

"EFTPOS" may not be in common parlance in the UK but you see it all over English banking documents, so it's in common use here as a legal technical term.

Never heard "pay wave" before, but it's neat - more expressive than "contactless".

The UK limit for contactless has been raised (in response to COVID hygiene concerns) to, what, ?45?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X