I haven't used my card in an ATM machine for 6 months

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I haven't used my card in an ATM machine for 6 months

And I'm not sure I can even remember its PIN.

I think I've remembered it. The first two numbers were a flip of the last two all based on mod 5. But bloody hell.
    Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 11-01-2021, 23:02.

My son was down over Christmas so, you know.... I have also got money out for church collection when I can make it but even there it looks like we are going over to electronic payment.

I feel sorry for the homeless.

Comment

We had to assemble a decent wad for the building staff's holiday tips, but before that I hadn't been since late February

Comment

Have to make sure that I've some cash for when the cleaner can turn up, and when we could go out for a meal, always made sure that I had cash for a tip.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
          And I'm not sure I can even remember its PIN.
          Withdrawal symptom.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
            Withdrawal symptom.
            Oh, applause sir.

Comment

By the way Rogin, if you're going to say "ATM machine", surely you might as well go the whole hog and say "PIN number" as well...?

I'm not even sure when I last used one, anyway. I've paid with cash precisely once since last March, on the single occasion during the COVID-lull of late summer when I decided to risk nipping into to the local chip shop as a treat – and it turned out they don't take cards. Other than that it's been contactless all the way. I've still got the same small change lying around on my bedroom chest of drawers as was sitting there last spring.
              Last edited by Various Artist; 11-01-2021, 23:29.

Comment

There are some trades, like Phoebe the Dog's groomer, who will only accept cash. And you still need coin for parking meters in many places.

Comment

Some of the market stalls that I get perishable food from are like that. But the amount of cash I've needed has been slashed considerably, for sure.

Comment

It's fortunate that a lot of places have been able to relax strictures on the minimum spend with cards. The greengrocers here require ?2.50 min, but that's not a majorly difficult bar to surmount, and otherwise it feels like I've been able to pay for even less than a quid with contactless in most of the few places I still frequent. The butchers have been delivering door to door, and are now bringing a mini card reader around with them that you can wave your Visa (as opposed to waive your visa) over.

Comment

We should definitely have a thread where we try and reveal each other's PIN-umbers. Rogin's is probably 7705. I always need a memory prompter like that: "Stanley Matthews - White Horse", that kind of thing.

My local ATM used to be attached to a bank, with actual people working inside. When the machine swallowed my card (about every 4th time) there was someone to complain to, but now of course it needs a phone call, with all the inevitable faffing around, so I daren't risk it.

Comment

Isn't your PIN essential for making purchases over a certain amount? Here anything over 100 Lei (approx 20 quid) has to be backed up with a pin, so I need to remember it pretty much every time I go to the supermarket

Comment

I went two days ago to withdraw money and will do so again today, I like cash.

Comment

Amount you can use paywave for here has doubled to $200 (114 sterling)

Comment

What's paywave?

Comment

Do British people routinely use "ATM" (or ATM machine) now? What happened to cashpoint?

Anyway I still use the cashpoint from time to time. I like to have a bit of cash about me anyway, plus places like the market I need it. I also have a 15 year old daughter who doesn't yet have a vard/bank account so needs cash sometimes

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                  Isn't your PIN essential for making purchases over a certain amount? Here anything over 100 Lei (approx 20 quid) has to be backed up with a pin, so I need to remember it pretty much every time I go to the supermarket
                                  You seem to be trying to trap our dear friend Rogin.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                                    What's paywave?
                                    When you pass your card over a payment terminal screen at a checkout or counter, as opposed to inserting the car and entering a PIN.

Comment

Ah...contactless. Is the word paywave universal?

Comment

No idea, but common in Australia.

Comment

Unknown in the US

Comment

I think it's Australian only. Also EFTPOS (which is another of those terms that are universal there but not known anywhere else - except possibly NZ)

Comment

Yes, Eftpos and Paywave in NZ.

Always intriguing how words take hold (or don't), especially trade names. When ATMs became a feature in UK high streets (early 1980s? before?) IIRC each bank called it something different. Cashpoint, Servicetill, Autobank etc. But not ATM.

Comment

Reg Varney will be spinning in his grave, as cashpoints go the way of chequebooks and smaller High St bank branches.

Comment

I have two bank accounts in the UK, and haven't used the debit card for one of them even on trips back to the UK since I moved here nearly 11 years ago. Every few years I have to try and remember the PIN and panic sets in until, through several hours of transcendental meditation helping me to achieve a state of deep calm, it emerges back into my brain's consciousness.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X