Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Incandenza
    replied
    I don't think that places around me have switched away from cash to any drastic extent. A lot of businesses that were previously cash-only now take cards, but it hasn't been a complete replacement.

Leave a comment:

• caja-dglh
    replied
    Originally posted by WOM View Post
    I sold my old motorbike last week to an old codger, and of course he showed up with cash instead of e-transfer or something civilized like that. So now I've a wad of unusable bills I'll have to drag my arse to the bank and deposit.
    Does this necessitate a user name change?

Leave a comment:

• jwdd27
    replied
    Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
    Come again?
    You can, but you'll have to pay twice.

Leave a comment:

• Moonlight Shadow
    replied
    Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
    Contactless payment (or scanning an e-ticket from an App) has become the normal way to pay for bus travel round here since Covid hit, which certainly speeds things up, although their card readers are still a bit slow compared to an Oyster type system.

I think the only person I've seen pay cash on the bus in the past year is my wife, who accuses the bus app of draining her phone battery, and has still not got her head around contact less payments. Her phone is a decrepit iPhone 6 which drains its own battery just fine.
    I had an issue on a Warrington bus when my card was not accepted , card which worked fine 10 minutes earlier when i bought a sandwich...no cash on me so I was left with either an extra 5 miles to walk(after clocking 15 miles already) or ask my wife for a lift...

Leave a comment:

• Gangster Octopus
    replied
    Not if you're a cash-only rent boy.
    Come again?

Leave a comment:

• WOM
    replied
    I sold my old motorbike last week to an old codger, and of course he showed up with cash instead of e-transfer or something civilized like that. So now I've a wad of unusable bills I'll have to drag my arse to the bank and deposit.

Leave a comment:

• WOM
    replied
    Originally posted by TonTon View Post
    It's now over seventeen months since my last ATM withdrawal. I wonder if I'll ever use one again.
    Not if you're a cash-only rent boy.

Leave a comment:

• jwdd27
    replied
    Contactless payment (or scanning an e-ticket from an App) has become the normal way to pay for bus travel round here since Covid hit, which certainly speeds things up, although their card readers are still a bit slow compared to an Oyster type system.

I think the only person I've seen pay cash on the bus in the past year is my wife, who accuses the bus app of draining her phone battery, and has still not got her head around contact less payments. Her phone is a decrepit iPhone 6 which drains its own battery just fine.

Leave a comment:

• DCI Harry Batt
    replied
    It's now over seventeen months since my last ATM withdrawal. I wonder if I'll ever use one again.

Leave a comment:

• Evariste Euler Gauss
    replied
    Had a kebab last week from our local kebab takeaway shop. They don't do cards, bless 'em. My first cash transaction in several months, apart from paying the window cleaners.

Leave a comment:

• Walt Flanagans Dog
    replied
    Now that we're allowed to travel slightly further afield, I've started to get through the stash of coins that were frozen in time when Covid started, to use them for car parking.

Yesterday I thought ahead and took smaller coins as well for the toilets, but even that wasn't necessary (but I used the coins anyway) as the toilets at Grasmere now take cards for the 20p charge, which is the lowest I've seen for any card use so far (I knew the ones in Keswick took cards, but that's for the more expensive 40p).

Leave a comment:

• blameless
    replied
    Originally posted by Third rate Leszno View Post
    25 quid to the fish van man for fresh salmon and plaice
    One of the things I miss most not living in Scotland anymore is the lack of a fish van going round the houses. The one that my parents buy from (Blacks of Pittenweem) does a phenomenal smoked haddock.

Leave a comment:

• Capybara
    replied
    Originally posted by Sporting View Post
    Am I really alone on here in using cash on a more or less daily basis?
    Until a year ago I did use cash practically every day. Since then hardly at all. Once this year for a tip and before that probably last August which was when my last withdrawal was (and the only one in the last 12 months).

Leave a comment:

• Third rate Leszno
    replied
    Cash payments this week - newspaper for my mum at the BP garage, tip for the Domino's delivery woman, 25 quid to the fish van man for fresh salmon and plaice, tip for the Thai restaurant delivery man, box of eggs from the corner shop, 2x tips in the jar at Caffe Nero.

With the exception of the fish that's a fairly typical week, I think I've only taken cash out once this month (pre-Covid it was 2 or 3 times a week).

Leave a comment:

• Janik
    replied
    I have been buying perishables from the local market as preferable to supermarkets. Only the butcher takes cards and I’m not buying from them weekly. I need cash for the greengrocer, baker and cheesemonger. The later also not a weekly visit, but the others are, if not twice weekly - the market is there Wednesdays and Saturdays. I have been getting through roughly 100 quid cash a month throughout, I reckon. There is about 65 in my wallet currently.

Leave a comment:

• Uncle Ethan
    replied
    Our bank refunds all ATM fees. This is less useful than it used to be.

Leave a comment:

• Felicity, I guess so
    replied
    Our nearest cornershop only takes cards above a fiver, so Guardians, milk, less than a sixpack, lottery ticket I use cash. Though the cost of the Saturday Guardian means almost any other item takes you over the line.

The other thing is its ATM now charges 1.99- one consequence of bank branch closures is less mobile punters get screwed

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Very much going out less and not tipping delivery guys

Leave a comment:

• Sporting
    replied
    But because of going out less, or due to using plastic more when you do?

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Daily when I was going to the office every day, rather less so during the pandemic

Leave a comment:

• ad hoc
    replied
    "Daily" is stretching it, since I don't go out that much, but I use it on a weekly basis at least

Leave a comment:

• Sporting
    replied
    Am I really alone on here in using cash on a more or less daily basis?

Leave a comment:

• Uncle Ethan
    replied
    My cash crisis is twofold. I am owed $5 for a parking fee by work, but the petty cash float has pretty much ceased to exist. A new supermarket near us requires a coin to get a trolley. I have no coins and haven't had for about a year.

Leave a comment:

• jwdd27
    replied
    I transferred some money across to Mrs D to pay our builder in cash tomorrow. And she couldn't remember her PIN when she went to withdraw it. Happily they now just put a PIN lock on the card rather than the machine swallow it. Less happily I had to withdraw the cash myself again.

Leave a comment:

• Amor de Cosmos
    replied

Here, for sure. Pocket money...walking-around money. My mother used to call it 'mad money'.
    They don't have the same association though, at least in my experience. Pocket money = allowance. Strictly a childhood thing.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X