No announcement yet.

I haven't used my card in an ATM machine for 6 months

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

180-odd million cheques still, which is like three each or something. Mind you I wrote one the other day.

Comment

That is rather stunning. I've never written a cheque in the seven years that we have had a mortgage.

The only cheques I write with any regularity are quarterly Federal estimated tax payments (the State and City payments are done on line).

Comment

I had to renew my driving licence and the online service refused to allow me to use it, and said I had to find another way. So I had to do it by post (or I could "go to the Post Office", whatever that means). The payment options were cheque or postal order. Yes, you read that right.

It seems to be the second cheque removed from my current cheque book. Which I've had for a few years now.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
          That is rather stunning. I've never written a cheque in the seven years that we have had a mortgage.

The only cheques I write with any regularity are quarterly Federal estimated tax payments (the State and City payments are done on line).
          It is one of the top 10 mortgage originators in the US. Should be called Comiskey but aren't.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post

I pay my Federal ones online, but still write a check for the mortgage. Don't ask me why, I have no good reason.

Otherwise I write checks to my gardener, the storage place I should really shut down (which I've had to resort to hand delivering after the took over 2 weeks to show up on a couple of occassions, the place is 20 minutes walk away), dental bills, auto and home insurance (3 times a year between them). I was doing medical bills by check also, but recently (last month) switched to online for this.

Comment

Oh, and the housecleaners when I find I haven't enough cash the day they come.

Comment

Further to something mentioned upthread, Nat West and RBS now appear to have introduced the option to pay a cheque in using the app.

Comment

That's good. Not that anyone is going to give me a cheque, obvs. But if some knobber does, it won't mean traipsing along to the sodding branch.

Comment

That has been standard among the equivalent of high street banks here for several years. It is very useful.

Comment

It’s more useful in the US because cheques are used more here. The simple online cash transfer between bank accounts that has existed in the UK for a quarter of a century eliminated a lot of the cheque transactions that Venmo and so on are finally getting rid of in the US
                      Last edited by San Bernardhinault; 16-06-2021, 22:23.

Comment

This is very true

Comment

I usually travel in a taxi about once a year, but in the last four days, I've had to take one five times. All but one were cash-only.

Comment

Originally posted by treibeis View Post
                            I usually travel in a taxi about once a year, but in the last four days, I've had to take one five times. All but one were cash-only.

I can't remember when I last used a cash-pay minicab. I've had an Uber account for over four years and now a Bolt one.

I did have to book a minicab for my daughter a couple of years back and remember the dawning realisation that I'd have to try to find some cash to pay for it.
                            Last edited by Nocturnal Submission; 17-06-2021, 07:40.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                              I can't remember when I last used a cash-pay minicab
                              I can't remember when I last used a taxi, period. And it's nothing to do with the 'vid.

Comment

I love taxis. Black cabs, that is. Proper ones. There are some I don't like. I can't remember what they're called though. I mean, the old ones are great, and the new ones with the panoramic window are great too, but there's some in the middle that aren't. And I need to be able to open a window for myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Capybara View Post
                                  I can't remember when I last used a taxi, period. And it's nothing to do with the 'vid.

I'm using them an awful lot less now because my daughter has just learned to drive, loves it and is always offering to drop me off somewhere or pick me up. I'm consequently using buses a lot less too. Having said that, when I find myself at Sutton station at around 1am I don't have a lot of options for getting home other than an Uber.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                                    I love taxis. Black cabs, that is. Proper ones. There are some I don't like. I can't remember what they're called though. I mean, the old ones are great, and the new ones with the panoramic window are great too, but there's some in the middle that aren't. And I need to be able to open a window for myself.

So pricey though.

Comment

So pricey though.
                                      Gosh yes.

Comment

I find myself at Sutton station at around 1am .
                                        Early draft song title from a teenage Paul Weller's exercise book.

Comment

Brighton Palace Pier: Hundreds overcharged £2,100 for rides

Comment

Working...
                                          X