I haven't used my card in an ATM machine for 6 months

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
    Kids can have a debit card from...11 is it? Or 13? Before that, I've really no idea.

Miss NS has had one since she was 11.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
      They don't get money out. They e-transfer and tap and Apple Pay everything. The concept of having 'cash' is laughable for them.
      Toronto vs Rural Romania

We do not exactly live in the same milieu.

I recently got my daughter a "junior" Revolut card, which is seemingly a good solution to this, and seems to work for both her and me. I don;t even know what "e-transfer" is, and understand the concept of "tap" (like with a regular card, but how that applies to kids, I'm not sure). And Apple Pay (or Android equivalent) is really really vanishingly rare here, but it still seems to need a bank account. Anyway, I get that you all in your fancy first world capitalist paradises, have loads of ways for kids to store money virtually and access it.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
        A standing order is an instruction you give to your bank to send money somewhere else. It's for a fixed amount, though you can amend it.

A direct debit is an instruction to your bank to allow an organisation to take money from your account. It's not for a set amount, but for however much the organisation tells you it's going to take. In order to be able to do this, an organisation has to be reputable.

Cheers. Concepts I really should have grasped by now.

Comment

My last ATM visit was on March 11th of last year - I withdrew $300, though clearly I don't remember how much I had in my wallet at the time. I currently have $331 in my wallet, but I did pocket $20 from my daughter's Christmas present in exchange for ordering her something online.
          Kids' allowances have been suspended since they haven't been to a store since last March either.

Comment

Originally posted by S. aureus View Post
            Kids' allowances have been suspended since they haven't been to a store since last March either.
            Blimey.

Comment

Originally posted by S. aureus View Post
              Wait...what? If they don't have anywhere to spend it, you don't give it to them?

Comment

Great minds...

Comment

S. aureus bringing the hammer on kids allowances.

I have gone to the ATM a few times recently - most typically because I want to use the bank's parking versus the pain of any other parking in town.

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post
                    I have gone to the ATM a few times recently - most typically because I want to use the bank's parking versus the pain of any other parking in town.
                    Could you break that down a little further please.

Comment

Could you break that down a little further please.
                      Parking in the village is a nightmare. If I need to pick up food I often end up parking in the bank parking lot where there is typically space for the ten minutes I need to grab the food. If it is open I might go in and get cash as I am new here and don't know if they are enforcing their "customer only" parking.

Frankly it should be my first choice. I would save a lot of time not even trying to park in the limited spots available.

Comment

My wife was called by her bank earlier, someone dropped her debit card in their post box...She did not even realised it had gone missing, she has no idea when it went missing...No fraudulent usage either.

Comment

Now come on, caja - is it a town?
                          or is it a village?

Parking in the village is a nightmare.

Comment

Chicago'ans call it 'the village' now. That's fun.

Comment

If I need to pick up food I often end up parking in the bank parking lot where there is typically space for the ten minutes I need to grab the food. If it is open I might go in and get cash as I am new here and don't know if they are enforcing their "customer only" parking.
                              Ah, okay. I thought you had to use your bank card to access the parking lot or something. But you just make an ATM withdrawal to qualify as a customer that day >>> parking. Gotcha.

Comment

I'm still pondering on the absolute meanness of withholding pocket money cos the kids have nothing to spend it on. Next thing companies will be deducting from employees who they know normally spend money in pubs.

Our son gets his monthly fork out in good old fashioned cash.

Comment

DCI Harry Batt It is technically a village, because Towns don't exist around here. That said it is a "village" with a movie theater, a high school with 3,000 students (plus eight elementary schools and two middle schools).

From a UK context it is very misleading to call it a village, though that is what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                                    Next thing companies will be deducting from employees who they know normally spend money in pubs.
                                    I'm fairly sure you're joking, but that made me come out in a cold sweat.

Comment

You're fine if you double-up on the cigarettes, though.

Comment

DCI Harry Batt It is technically a village, because Towns don't exist around here. That said it is a "village" with a movie theater, a high school with 3,000 students (plus eight elementary schools and two middle schools).

From a UK context it is very misleading to call it a village, though that is what it is.
                                        I think we probably do need to stage an intervention. This can't go on.

Comment

Wait...what? If they don't have anywhere to spend it, you don't give it to them?
                                          I wouldn't give my children pocket money anyway. I never got pocket money, never did me any harm.

Comment

Phoebe the Dog goes to the groomer today. That's $100 cash.

Comment

S. aureus returns from a quiet morning drowning kittens to find that he's become a social pariah.

Comment

Originally posted by treibeis View Post
                                                I never got pocket money, never did me any harm.
                                                Nope, I think we'd all agree that you turned out fine.

Comment

Nope, I think we'd all agree that you turned out fine.
                                                  I just won a bet with myself.

Comment

Originally posted by treibeis View Post
                                                    I just won a bet with myself.
                                                    I'll wager you don't pay up.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X