I haven't used my card in an ATM machine for 6 months

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post
    Hemingway would have known where the post office was though. When the new new one got built his Uncle sold them the land to boot.
    Well, that was a segue I didn't see coming!

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post

Well, that was a segue I didn't see coming!
      For sure! I was going to make some droll comment that the house he grew up in is about 300 meters from the post office which is massive. Turns out it was built in the 30s after he was long-gone and I am not sure where *exactly* the precursor was. That his Uncle was involved in the land sale was serendipity and also part of the fact that Oak Park is basically one great big circle-jerk of a few families back in the early 20th Century.

Or also "will someone ease up on the Hemingway stuff in my new home town"
      Last edited by caja-dglh; 05-03-2021, 16:16.

Comment

Originally posted by slackster View Post
        Was asked to pay “cash only” in a laundry shop this week, which caught me by surprise, so had to use the ATM (luckily just a few stores along) for the first time in yonks. Wasn’t a piffling amount either - about 30 quid.
        Something something money laundering something I'll get my coat.

Comment

Yeah, that was my first thought, too. And there was a guy in West-end Toronto a few years ago who was running a drug ring out of his dry cleaning shop. Every package of shirts had a bit of extra starch in them, eh eh...you know what I mean?

Comment

My post about having to go to the bank today to pay in some cheques elicited some helpful responses. Unfortunately, none of them were "Hey, do you want to check that the bank is still open on a Saturday?"

Comment

Oh. Is it Saturday?

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                Oh. Is it Saturday?
                Great song title.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post

Great song title.

Potentially a decent name for a football magazine, but might need a bit of tweaking.

Comment

Just asked a friend of mine who runs a bar/cafe what percentage of payments are in cash and how much by card. Answer was 50/50 with card payments increasing at weekends and with the more people drank.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                      Potentially a decent name for a football magazine, but might need a bit of tweaking.
                      Reads to me like a TV show for hungover post-club types.

Comment

One year ago today, I last used an ATM to get some cash, ?100. Still have ?70 left.

Comment

I just went and checked. The last time I took cash out of my main current account was 2 December 2019. That was 30 quid. I've got ten in my wallet.

Comment

I bought a lottery ticket with $5 cash, but that's about it for the past year.

Comment

I can't think where twenty quid has gone in cash in the last 15 months.

Comment

In my case, two haircuts.

Comment

There are loads of places and situations where I still need cash. I've used a card an awful lot more in the last year, but I still need cash. (Plus as anyone with kids will tell you, pocket money really needs to come in cash form)

Comment

My mother-in-law always sends a cheque for birthday presents. I pay them in by machine on Wallsend High St. I also get a royalty cheque every year or so averaging about 30 pounds.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                      (Plus as anyone with kids will tell you, pocket money really needs to come in cash form)

I paid my kids via standing order* into their bank accounts for years.

* Or is it direct debit, I can never remember which is which.

Comment

I'd be very surprised if your kids were approved to take direct debits.

Comment

I don;t even think it;s possible for kids to open bank accounts here. Plus how do they get the money out?

Comment

They don't get money out. They e-transfer and tap and Apple Pay everything. The concept of having 'cash' is laughable for them.

Comment

Kids can have a debit card from...11 is it? Or 13? Before that, I've really no idea.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                                                I'd be very surprised if your kids were approved to take direct debits.

Ah, must be a standing order then.

What are the rules?

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                                  I don;t even think it;s possible for kids to open bank accounts here. Plus how do they get the money out?

ATMs on the rare occasion that they needed cash, but the account was used mainly for online purchases.

Comment

A standing order is an instruction you give to your bank to send money somewhere else. It's for a fixed amount, though you can amend it.

A direct debit is an instruction to your bank to allow an organisation to take money from your account. It's not for a set amount, but for however much the organisation tells you it's going to take. In order to be able to do this, an organisation has to be reputable.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X