Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snorting

So, anyone care to admit to this?

Did it once in 1985 when a friend gave me a sniff. Utterly loved it, and decided never to do it again.

Comment

What do people understand by snorting?

(It's nearly the same as my user name.).

Comment

Originally posted by S. aureus View Post
        Derisively?

Comment

A bit when I laugh. Terrible trait on our dad's side.

Comment

Do it on occasion. It’s a shit drug.

Comment

Never did it, wouldn't have a clue how to get it, how much to pay or how to use it.

I have however twice been mistaken for a drug dealer, once at a music festival by a teenager, who seemed to think that because I was older than 19, I must have gear, once in a Dublin pub, where some bloke said to me " you look like you deal, got any stuff on you ". I had to disappoint both gentlemen.

Comment

We're talking the old marching powder here, right? Destructive a habit as it is, it was so readily-available in TV-land back in the nineties that it was almost impossible to avoid. (One production company for whom I worked had it delivered to the offices by taxi on a Friday evening.)

There were too many casualties, though. One writer I knew had a habit that was allegedly setting him back almost a grand a week, so I hesitate to imagine what the figures were among the top brass. Another friend in a more lowly position completely disappeared from the scene as a result of his relentless indulgence.

Comment

Never tried it. Never wanted to. I once went for a meal in a restaurant in central London fairly early on in the evening with a German friend. He went to the loo and came back delighted because someone had left a line all chopped and ready on the side, so he snorted it. That sort of cavalier attitude to not knowing what you've just put in your body baffles me.

Comment

On the 90s theme, Iain Lee seems to be a white powder casualty and was in rehab over Xmas. I would say that anyone with an addictive personality is playing with fire when they touch that stuff. John Belushi is perhaps the classic case. OTOH there is a lot of academic research showing that US professionals use it at weekends but are able to avoid addiction.
                    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 11-01-2021, 10:21.

Comment

He was somebody with whom I worked back in the day, so I couldn't possibly comment.

Comment

Cocaine, it's a helluva drug.
                        1999, tried it for the first time, and suddenly the 1980's made a lot more sense.
                        That hit. The STING, then the rush, the EUPHORIA
                        And in that moment, this is my brain;
                        'I AM A FUCKING GOD'
                        'I COULD KICK A TREE DOWN'
                        'I COULD CLIMB UP MOUNT EVEREST NAKED'

I'm trying to relay this to my assembled peers, but everybody else has had some, so everybody's talking, but nobody's listening, just a sea of souls chattering about everything and nothing in equal context. Really dark secret? Casual utterance? It's all coming out, but nobody's listening, because it's beginning to wear off and then suddenlyohfuckwheredidthissenseofdreadcomefromnooo ooquickhavesomemoreandBANG I am once again a GOD.

And then you mainly repeat that process, so when the night/early morning/afternoon draws to a close, and you've licked the inside of the coke bag clean, you've exhausted your funds, and your body's telling you to sleep, even though you're weirdly wired while almost frozen as your poor body, drained of all of its chemicals that have been forcibly produced over the previous 12/24/72 hours desperately seeks rest... except you can't, because you have cement up your nose and can no longer breathe through it.

Hell of an experience, I'd say to everybody to try it once, just for the amazing way it affects the brain while realising that even semi-regular use WILL kill your soul in really rather significant ways, and that's bad, mmmmmmkay.

Comment

My conclusion, based upon trial and error and error and error (continues for some time), is that if you like a drink then taking things that keep you upright and drinking way past the point at which your body would normally say enough is not to be recommended.

When I used to visit and eventually moved to London in the mid to late ‘90s, it was startling how prevalent cocaine was. The people I knew were mostly budding professionals in their 20s and early 30s but everyone seemed to be at it, not just the traditional arty, druggy types. For most it was a fad that fell away as relationships and careers developed but I know a few people who carried on along that track towards their 40s and eventually came real croppers.

One thing that put me off drugs was the pretend mates thing that seemed to be required with dealers. If you could get them from vending machines it would be more tempting, damning ethical considerations aside.

Comment

As I'm sure I've mentioned previously when the subject of rectreational pharmaceuticals has come up on here, I share a name with a poor lad who was one of Scotland's more high-profile ecstasy deaths in the mid 1990s.

I'd not much inclination to try anything in the way of coke, eccies, speed, heroin or others anyway, but the widespread astonishment which greeted my arrival on the first day back at university after the summer "fuck's sake, we aw thought you were deid man" put the tin lid on giving all of it a wide berth.

Comment

It's a brief exhilaration, but I'd be more inclined to recommend acid in terms of 'the experience'.

But I'd not actively 'recommend' any drugs as such.

Comment

Originally posted by S. aureus View Post
                                Narc!

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                  It's a brief exhilaration, but I'd be more inclined to recommend acid in terms of 'the experience'.

But I'd not actively 'recommend' any drugs as such.
                                  I'm aware that you weren't 'recommending' acid as such, but I have to agree that it's preferable, no weird feeling of sadness in the following days of having partaken, plus being around people on acid is a million times more pleasant than the coke equivalent.

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
                                    Never tried it. Never wanted to. I once went for a meal in a restaurant in central London fairly early on in the evening with a German friend. He went to the loo and came back delighted because someone had left a line all chopped and ready on the side, so he snorted it. That sort of cavalier attitude to not knowing what you've just put in your body baffles me.
                                    Never tried it (on purpose, see below), been curious. Glad I haven't tried it because everyone I have been around who is on it has been a monumentally self-centred arsehole. That's my job, dammit!

I had a similar experience to your friend's in a central London restaurant on a Friday evening. Walking in to the bar you could tell exactly what was going on; lots of "creative" types staring wide-eyed at each other, talking but not listening, making their way up the ladder.

I went for a slash (cubicles only) and you could see the stuff hanging in the air. I held my breath for as long as I could whilst taking a piss that a racehorse would have been proud of, but in the end bodily autonomy prevailed and I had to exhale and inhale. I swear to this day that I got a minor buzz out of it, but I could just be fooling myself as I have no real yardstick of experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Delicieux View Post
                                      I'm aware that you weren't 'recommending' acid as such, but I have to agree that it's preferable, no weird feeling of sadness in the following days of having partaken, plus being around people on acid is a million times more pleasant than the coke equivalent.
                                      Yep, I think I've probably just seen too many that fit your description.

With acid, it was all about the visuals for me - I was at art school when I used it, and it certainly affected my work. (Bit of a giveaway for the tutors.) I didn't do it for very long, though - one bad trip is one too many.

Comment

Did coke a couple of times, it was great, so best avoided. People on coke, wow they are boring self-centred arseholes. Mr D sums it up pretty well in his first post up there.

Comment

I was completely sober (well, maybe a bit stoned) the last time I was around people on acid, I was just trying to help them have a nice trip, putting on fractal videos on YouTube, handing out felt tip pens and paper and letting people doodle, it was a pleasant experience.

Comment

Had one night on the coke, and was pretty convinced that it hadn't had any effect on me, and said so to my mates. They said, "Mate, it's six a.m., and look what you've spent the last six hours doing," and then I realised that I'd been furiously scoring a Playstation tournament (back in the days when they had the first motion sensor, and you had to kill bugs and wash windows by moving your arms, whatever that was called) in a scoring system that was so impressively advanced that I wish I'd kept a copy of it. I had to accept that he had a point.

I've got enough problems with drinking and smoking, so I'm glad I never picked up a drugs habit to go with them.

Comment

First tried drugs on my 21st birthday. It was an eye opener. I assumed, in a post Zammo and Leah Betts UK, that if you take drugs you instantly die. I didn't, not straight away, but I did spend the next fifteen years destroying my life, and even more unforgivably, the lives of people close to me. I lost jobs, homes, friends, girlfriends, opportunities, everything really. And the more depressed I got the more I used. Deaden the pain. Silence the noise. I didn't even enjoy it, any minor buzz was offset by the self-loathing when I finally got my head straight and I realised I'd spent all my month's pay in about what, 36 hours?

Three years without touching the stuff. It's funny the little differences I enjoy. I must be the only person in the country who enjoys paying bills. To have the money to and actually be able to. I don't dread the post, or knocks on the door. I can take my phone off silent, because phone calls aren't menacing any more. I can, largely, look my mates in the eye rather than feel nothing but shame at the lies and excuses. I can buy and own nice things. I sometimes find myself sitting and staring at my new radio, or when I got a Le Creuset casserole dish. Complete wonder and amazement that I could have something like that.

Drugs are really, really shit. Almost two decades, half my life, wasted. It's entirely possible I'd have wasted them anyway, what with being a lazy blagger, but fuck me I didn't need any assistance. And at least I'd have wasted just my life, and not countless tens of thousands of pounds as well.

Just say no, kids.

Comment

I fear I may have killed this thread.

Don't mind me, folks. Carry on. That'll probably get deleted in a bit when I remember this is a completely public forum and I'm quite easily identifiable.

Comment

Snorted a few times in the past, in Gijon and Zurich. Enjoyed it every time. Never felt the need to repeat the experience night after night, and didn't get coke hangovers.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X