CDU leadership election

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CDU leadership election

The upcoming contest has gone somewhat under the radar to date, which is rather surprising as the victor will have a significant impact on the immediate ideological orientation of the European Union. The current lead candidate according to membership polls is Friedrich Merz, a "back-to-basics" conservative who wants to take the party back to the right by focusing on crime and cultural issues, but would be seen as alienating centrist votes in the process. Next comes Norbert Rottgen, who focuses on foreign affairs, and aims to chip away at the rising Green vote. Finally, Armin Laschet of North-Rhine Westphalia wants to build a socially progressive voter coalition, but is regarded as too similar to Merkel. Moreover, it seems the most popular contender of all isn't even on the ballot, with Markus Soder of the CSU sister party regularly topping polls of Chancellor candidates.

https://www.thenewfederalist.eu/all-...berlin?lang=fr

Whatever happened to my cousin's namesake David McAllister? Hardcore Rangers and Hannover 96 both

Comment

Merz would be a disaster. You know all those nasty Tories who exhibit little intelligence. He's like them, except intelligent. He's an electable Norman Tebbitt. He's a scary fucker.

Comment

https://twitter.com/jonworth/status/1347564561814188033

Comment

Laschet wins

Comment

Good.

(I know almost nothing about him but I was favouring anyone but Merz)

Comment

By all accounts, he's widely viewed as a political clone of Merkel, so there will be attempts to draft in Soder or Spahn before September.

Comment

Merz would have been a disaster, as would have been Soder, and in many way Laschet is the least objectionable option. But Laschet is an active supporter of Israel's genocide, and active opponent of BDS. And he opposes gay marriage, tghough that ship has sailed.

I'm rather easier on Germans when it comes to supporting Israel than I am on others, given the country's history. But it's infuriating anyway that a people should feel the brunt of another country's national guilt.

Comment

An interesting few weeks, with the CDU underwhelming in both Baden-Wurttemberg and Rhineland-Pfalz, and also falling back in national polling:

https://twitter.com/Wahlen_DE/status/1374008885397307401

Suddenly, a Green-led coalition with the SDP has become a realistic option, the only cloud being that the third leg would almost certainly be the Free Democrats, rather than die Linke.

Comment

Why the fuck have the FDP come back to life?

Comment

Apparently, the CDU have become embroiled in some corruption scandals, so the FDP have re-emerged as the alternative for the "moderate" centre-right.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                        Why the fuck have the FDP come back to life?
                        Because the electorate right of center forgets their own party's failures, while the electorate left of center forgets their own party's successes. It is beyond depressing.

Comment

The good news is that the AfD have stagnated, and if anything are going backwards, while every other party has the potential to literally double their current poll ratings (top figure is party toxicity, second floating voters, bottom actual vote):

https://twitter.com/Wahlen_DE/status/1375205028441505798
                          Last edited by Diable Rouge; 25-03-2021, 23:10.

Comment

Soder renouncing the Chancellorship in favour of Laschet is going well, then:

https://twitter.com/Wahlen_DE/status/1384546624811278336

Comment

In the intervening four months, the Greens have completely collapsed, and the present momentum is with the previously moribund SPD!

https://twitter.com/Wahlen_DE/status/1429176968713588739

Comment

And Chancellor popularity stakes:

https://twitter.com/Wahlen_DE/status/1429180687177891845

Comment

"None of the Three" is more popular than Laschet and Baerbock together. But this old SPD man isn't getting excited, remembering only too well how fast the last guy collapsed in popularity when it counted.
                                  Last edited by G-Man; 21-08-2021, 21:55.

Comment

All he has to do for now is win the slow bicycle race, with Laschet falling like a stone.

Comment

Originally posted by Discordant Resonance View Post
                                      In the intervening four months, the Greens have completely collapsed
                                      It's as if the floodings didn't happen. Madness.

Comment

The German Greens have of course become the darlings of the Scottish Sensible commentariat just as their domestic ratings going into freefall, all for Baerbock's much lauded "realism" & "pragmatism". Guess selling out Eamon Ryan style doesn't necessarily pay off though.

Comment

German Greens are pretty rotten, no?

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                                            German Greens are pretty rotten, no?
                                            Is there any German party that you wouldn't classify as "pretty rotten"? The MLPD, perhaps?

Comment

If that stands for what I imagine it does then they sound awful.

Comment

I am guessing - correct me if I'm mistaken DCI Harry Batt that there are very few political parties period that you like.

Which is not at all a bad viewpoint.

Comment

If there was one I liked I'd be a member, innit.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X