No announcement yet.

Mundane Thread IV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Technically not true. Baby carrots are just carrots harvested early. But then there are "baby cut carrots" which are just cut bits of normal sized carrots. However nefarious people market the latter as the former.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
      My ophthalmologist has told me to wear sunglasses whenever I'm out-of-doors. I have blue eyes and am apparently more prone to sunlight-related eye issues. I know that I'm certainly more sensitive to sunlight than most people around me, squintiness-wise.
      I too am blue-eyed and squinty in sunlight and now I think I need to change my optician.

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post

was it here I learned this week that baby carrots are just what is left after they make grated carrots?
        Why would they use the term “baby”, though? Babies aren’t grated adults. They grate on adults (etc.). I just thought they were the wee ones hauled out by accident and, rather than chuck them, product men gave them an ain’t-they-sweet brand of their own.

Edit: or what Ad Hoc said (I type slow).
        Last edited by Slightly Brown; 14-01-2022, 22:37.

Comment

The little ones in the bag that you feed to kids, those are whittled down from carrots that are not presentable enough to be sold in the produce shelves. They're basically waste product made good. it's also where the carrot shavings in bagged salads come from.

The story:

https://www.foodnetwork.com/healthye...t-baby-carrots

Comment

Yeah, you call them "baby carrots" rather than "rather gross whittled down carrots we found a way to sell to you" because it seems to work better for sales. I was always a bit suspect of them but was unaware quite how they came to be.

Comment

I also have blue eyes and get squinty in sunlight.

I have currently got a painful eye because the car heaters dried my eye out today and it rubbed on my contact lens.

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post
                Yeah, you call them "baby carrots" rather than "rather gross whittled down carrots we found a way to sell to you" because it seems to work better for sales. I was always a bit suspect of them but was unaware quite how they came to be.
                Ah, I think we are thinking of different carrots. Mine have little green shoots on the top and everything.

Comment

The ersatz ones are a USian "invention" called "Baby Cut Carrots"

Comment

Ok, I’ve got you. Those do look like they’ve been shaved from larger carrots.

(The mentioning of calories, while probably a legal requirement, seems a bit harsh. I mean, I’m already eating a bag of baby carrots instead of crisps, no need to bring dreaded calories into this.)

Comment

They carve the green bit of Slightly Brown’s small carrots out of the giant green tops of giant mis-shapen carrots.

Comment

Maybe all our readers who have dodgy eyesight in the sunshine have eaten too many carrots which means they can see better in the dark and have hyper-dilated pupils?*

* yes, we all know the real story about carrots and seeing in the dark**

** unless that is urban myth

Comment

Carrots with evidence they grew (green tops) are super premium product.

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post

I too am blue-eyed and squinty in sunlight and now I think I need to change my optician.
                            I'm blue-eyed too but have never worn sunglasses. Probably because I have piggy eyes and a cro-magnon brow to shade them.

Rather than an optician I suggest an ophthalmologist. They don't try and flog you frames.

Comment

All this talk of baby carrots has reminded me of childhood lunches at my Dad’s where he and Granny were regular users of Smedley’s range of tinned vegetables: whole “new“ potatoes; marrowfat processed peas and of course baby carrots. This despite the fact he had a sizeable vegetable patch.

Comment

I don’t know what a marrowfat pea is. A fat pea?

Comment

Kinda. They're peas that have been allowed to dry naturally, so they do tend to be big. They're used to make mushy peas... mmmmm!

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                                    Kinda. They're peas that have been allowed to dry naturally, so they do tend to be big. They're used to make mushy peas... mmmmm!
                                    Oh yes well these tinned peas were well on their way to mushiness. Not mmmmmmm.

Comment

Tinned peas never did do the job in any respect really did they?

Comment

English tinned peas, no. French ones were OK. Though still a very different experience from either fresh or frozen

Comment

Carrots aren’t actually good for rabbits. Bugs Bunny has one to look like Clark Gable with a cigar.

Comment

Originally posted by Slightly Brown View Post
                                            Ok, I’ve got you. Those do look like they’ve been shaved from larger carrots.

(The mentioning of calories, while probably a legal requirement, seems a bit harsh. I mean, I’m already eating a bag of baby carrots instead of crisps, no need to bring dreaded calories into this.)
                                            Carrots are quite high in sugars for a vegetable. That is why they can be made into delicious cakes.

Edit - which isn’t really all that surprising if one considers the job carrots do for a carrot plant, i.e. being it’s energy store.
                                            Last edited by Janik; 15-01-2022, 08:01.

Comment

Peas should not be brown.

Comment

The quality of plant-based fast/junk food is such that there's no reason for their meat alternatives. If you want to sell meat burgers, kebabs etc, then you should be heavily taxed, with the money going to environmental causes. This is my latest opinion I'm going to defend to the death.

Comment

I'd be all-in for the non-meat alternative but for the fact that 'plant based' almost always means soy, which I can't digest. Give me vegetable based or bean based and I'm in.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                                                    I'd be all-in for the non-meat alternative but for the fact that 'plant based' almost always means soy, which I can't digest. Give me vegetable based or bean based and I'm in.
                                                    Pea protein.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X