No announcement yet.

Mundane Thread IV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

...and I'm not saying the school needs to adjust their actions on my behalf 2 posts earlier, as Lord knows they have enough to deal with already, just expressing my feelings.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
      I have a blister developing in the crook between my thumb and forefinger. This has been caused by raking too many leaves over the last 2 days. I believe I have moved 25 wheelbarrows full of leaves off the lawn into the wooded area in the back of the house. I am now about half-way done with clearing the lawn. I still harbour hopes of getting the lawn broadly cleared before the first serious snow, but accept that it might not happen, particularly now that I may be incapacitated. You know about a month ago when I said I despised leafblowers but might end up buying one... well... I've got through this year, but might not make it through next.
      This isn't meant to be a facetious question but have you tried raking opposite-handed? Also sometimes I'll rake in a tug-of-war type style and sometimes more croquet-like, so it's more of a flick than a drag. Sorry I'm reaching the limits of my articulacy and not really conveying what I meant to, but basically I have four raking positions if I work left handed as well as right, and switch between styles.

Actually it's not croquet, it's Bernhard Langer's broomhandle putter, only faster and with more of a flick.

And gloves.

Comment

S. aureus hope you're feeling better soon.

Comment

Thanks, I was actually completely fine at around 45 minutes, but the first 30 or so were awful.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post

This isn't meant to be a facetious question but have you tried raking opposite-handed? Also sometimes I'll rake in a tug-of-war type style and sometimes more croquet-like, so it's more of a flick than a drag. Sorry I'm reaching the limits of my articulacy and not really conveying what I meant to, but basically I have four raking positions if I work left handed as well as right, and switch between styles.

Actually it's not croquet, it's Bernhard Langer's broomhandle putter, only faster and with more of a flick.

And gloves.
            Yes gloves. And that may be the issue today. I couldn't find the good gloves I used yesterday so used lower quality ones today. Yes to swapping hands, but the dominant hand/right-handed style is the one I start with and revert to - I shift to left handed occasionally to give myself a rest, but the right-handed raking is definitely the one that does the most work. Tomorrow I might try broomhandle-putter styles.

Comment

My book The Rake's Progress out for Christmas in all good petrol stations and charity shops.

Comment

leafblower.

Comment

It's performance self appraisal time at my work. Was flailing to come up with anything worthwhile to put in the "strengths and weaknesses" section, so figured that I'd just copy and paste what I put in last year, only to discover that I didn't bother filling in that section then either.

(maybe one for the work annoyances, though the annoyance is having to do it at all).

Comment

My group at work is meeting for a 'first time in 18 months' lunch tomorrow, and I'm quite looking forward to it. There are so many people I'm quite pleased to be seeing face to face, including my boss.

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post
                      Instead of doing a TonTon / Sporting, I just googled "Chugger".
                      Why?

Comment

I'm off to a real world meeting with politicians tomorrow if I pass a lateral flow test.

Comment

Oooh, exciting. What are you going to talk about?

Comment

My boss has criticized me for my self appraisal being "too thin".

Comment

Maybe I can put that under "areas for improvement".

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post

Why?
                                Wanted the answer faster than the speed of hobbes, who I determined was probably doing something more valuable (like playing with his son or whatever).

Comment

My current aspirations are so thin that one of my 3 goals last year was to get my timesheets in more regularly. I set the 'time horizon' for achieving it at 6 months. That made my boss laugh.

Comment

It is a constant battle, especially for those trained during a more lax era.

We finally had to start holding back the monthly draws of partners who were more than two weeks in arrears.

The youngsters consider it a fact of life.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                                      My current aspirations are so thin that one of my 3 goals last year was to get my timesheets in more regularly. I set the 'time horizon' for achieving it at 6 months. That made my boss laugh.
                                      How did you get on with it?

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                                        Oooh, exciting. What are you going to talk about?
                                        It's not that kind of meeting, although I am hoping to talk to the chair of a cross party group if she circulates.

Comment

My colleague travelling for the same meeting has apparently got on the wrong train...

Comment

Where are they going instead?

Comment

The Midlands apparently.

Comment

I'm wearing a tie today for the first time in probably well over two years.

Comment

One of our cats has started using the TV as a stepping stone to climbing up the bookshelves behind it. The television is a late 2000s model and chunky by current standards but he has come close to toppling it a few times when launching himself from it. I've tried to discourage him by moving the books forward, flush with the edge of the shelves, to cut off his route beyond.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                                    The Midlands apparently.
                                                    The back-to-back museum in Birmingham is worth visiting, to save a wasted journey.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X