No announcement yet.

Mundane Thread IV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is not an issue related to gender. It is an issue related to people taking a perfectly simple bicycle valve and deciging to make it ridiculously complicated for no reason apparent to sane people. As advised earlier in thread I have apportioned to my sons responsibility for dealing with the bike that has the stupid abomination. I still do the bike with the old-fashioned, perfectly functional and in no way requiring re-engineering, valve. Fuck Mr/Ms Presta, and indeed their mate Schrader, just in case.

PS: No apology needed Sits; your explanation was much more useful. LDVs are very good. Son has had his for a while now and it has been fit for purpose.

Comment

I appreciate the well-meaning advice, I can attach my pump to the bike and pump it up, either nothing happens, or it seems to be happening and then goes flat as soon as I ride my bike. When someone pumps them for me, they are obviously full and comfy to ride on. There may be a slow puncture, which bike fix people - even when I put it in for a service - seem reluctant to think about. I've said "can't we change the inner tube just in case?" and they frown.

I like cycling, I don't like being dependent on other people. It's a pain.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post

Through what medium are they being made? Email I think I'd report to the police. Facebook, twitter, Instagram etc report to the platform (and possibly to the police too)
        Reddit. And a little to close for comfort.

Comment

I normally wouldn't mention unless I was scared And it's me.It's a fair shot. That's why I am scared.

Comment

I don't use Reddit so am not really sure what the process would be
            1. Doesn't it have moderators? Can you report to them?
            2. Can you block the user?
            3. How important is your user name to you? Can you close your account and open a new one under a new name?
            4. When you say "too close for comfort" does that mean that the person is in LV? In which case, can you go to the police?

Comment

Wise words from Mr. hoc. Take care Ger

Comment

Last night, sitting in front of the TV I ate a whole pack of eight stroopwafels. That’s 250g of pure carb, sugar and fat. I felt bloated and guilty. So today all I’ve eaten are two pieces of toast for breakfast, a salad wrap for lunch, and vege sausage casserole for dinner. And in my mind I am now super healthy again. Easy.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                  Last night, sitting in front of the TV I ate a whole pack of eight stroopwafels. That’s 250g of pure carb, sugar and fat. I felt bloated and guilty. So today all I’ve eaten are two pieces of toast for breakfast, a salad wrap for lunch, and vege sausage casserole for dinner. And in my mind I am now super healthy again. Easy.
                  If that photo of your elevenses that you posted a few weeks ago is anything to go by - you know, the one where you spread out what looked like a cruise ship's larder all over a rock - , then what you ate today probably constitutes a hunger strike.

Comment

So after the weekend squabble with the dishwasher, the week went further downhill with a nasty oil leak coming from the engine of the car (not a clue where from, so its booked into the dealer next week) and then, following a day out in Leicester the weekend before last, a speeding fine for exceeding one of those limit signs that they put up on smart motorways these days (I mean, does what became a 3-lane road really need to go to 40mph?)

Anyway, in slightly happier news, the insurance paid up immediately for the dishwasher (less excess obviously) and following the announcement a few weeks ago of grandchild number 6 on his way (Freddie apparently and not Keith alas), then news of grandchild number 7 will be making an appearance around Christmastime.

Comment

Whenever the weather's as bad as it is today - gusty, heavy rain - I always get visited by somebody who wants to insult me. (It's not always the same person, but they all look alike. Think Arthur Fowler in a bright anorak.)

Today's loudmouth told me, as always, that I was stupid for opening up today as the weather's bad. Usually, I just say, "Yes" and then walk back into the corner of the hut where nobody can see me.

Today, however, I briefly entertained the thought of killing him. As he rightly pointed out, the park was empty. Nobody would have seen me do it. Nobody would miss him. I have enough large and/or heavy objects - golf clubs, full wine bottles, boxes of Soleros - to do somebody in within seconds. And, as I'm not allowed to open the golf course for at least another month, I could have disposed of him in the south-east corner without anybody being any the wiser.

For the record: I'm only joking. But if I'd taken the steroids that my arsehole doctor prescribed me last week, I probably wouldn't be.

Comment

When you say "arsehole doctor", do you mean proctologist, or is your doctor just a bit of an arsehole?

No reason it couldn't be both, obvs.

Comment

Our oven is now broken as well as the dishwasher. It just suddenly shorted the fuse this morning (wasn't in use at the time) and will now only lightly warm things rather than actually cooking them. Husband is going to try ordering a replacement element. May well start restoring to MsD's suggestion of paper plates. In the meantime, am just avoiding the kitchen, which is not a solution, but is stopping my anxiety levels going sky high.

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
                            When you say "arsehole doctor", do you mean proctologist, or is your doctor just a bit of an arsehole?

No reason it couldn't be both, obvs.
                            I meant my proctologist, whom, till I read the patient-information leaflet in the package of drugs he wanted me to take, I quite liked.

For some reason, you have to write down your profession on the form you fill out during your pre-op chinwag with the arsehole man. He was giving it the aloof-doctor thing until he saw what I do, then he thawed out a bit and started asking a few questions. When he found out where the hut is, he said, "Yes! I've been there! That's where the alcoholics take the piss out of each other all day, isn't it?"

Well, you could put it like that, I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by treibeis View Post
                              I have enough large and/or heavy objects - golf clubs, full wine bottles, boxes of Soleros - to do somebody in within seconds. And, as I'm not allowed to open the golf course for at least another month, I could have disposed of him in the south-east corner without anybody being any the wiser.
                              So, no complaints about the size of the Soleros when there's killing to be done.

Going by your account of unwrapping an individual one, I'd expect a carton of 48 still only to be about the size of a box of cook's matches. You'd still be hammering away at your gradually ailing victim in mid-July.

Back to the perfect crime drawing board with you, dark lord.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post

So, no complaints about the size of the Soleros when there's killing to be done.

Going by your account of unwrapping an individual one, I'd expect a carton of 48 still only to be about the size of a box of cook's matches. You'd still be hammering away at your gradually ailing victim in mid-July.

Back to the perfect crime drawing board with you, dark lord.
                                A box of Soleros weighs 1.7 kg. Just like you can drown in an inch of water, you could get your head staved in by two dozen ice-lollies, I reckon.

Comment

There was that episode of Tales of the Unexpected where a wife killed her husband with a frozen leg of lamb. That was probably less than 1.7kg if it was just for the two of them.

Frozen lamb might be a good addition to the adult snacking range at the hut. Maybe chops rather than whole legs, for swifter customer rotation.

Comment

<Triggered>

By the Solero abuse, that is.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                                      There was that episode of Tales of the Unexpected where a wife killed her husband with a frozen leg of lamb.
                                      I was assuming that that was the basis for Treibeis's plan too. Which would mean that he'd have to unwrap them individually and beat the man to death with them one at a time, so that he could eat the evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
                                        Our oven is now broken as well as the dishwasher. It just suddenly shorted the fuse this morning (wasn't in use at the time) and will now only lightly warm things rather than actually cooking them. Husband is going to try ordering a replacement element. May well start restoring to MsD's suggestion of paper plates. In the meantime, am just avoiding the kitchen, which is not a solution, but is stopping my anxiety levels going sky high.
                                        When our oven broke down, we found that one of those halogen air fryers made a reasonable and cheap substitute in the short term. That was only for two people though so not sure whether they can cope with larger quantities.

Comment

I have a Tower oven/grill combo which works pretty well. It's Mrs J's, not mine, and I only use it once a week or so but it is efficient.

Comment

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post

I was assuming that that was the basis for Treibeis's plan too. Which would mean that he'd have to unwrap them individually and beat the man to death with them one at a time, so that he could eat the evidence.
                                            I'd rather get sent down for 15 years than eat a fucking Solero.

Comment

We have now added an upcycling project to the general chaos and merriment at home. Walking the kids to school this morning I found that someone had left a wooden desk out on the pavement with a "free to a good home" sign on it. It's proper varnished pine wood, not MDF crap, so I took a photo of it when I went out litter picking to show to my husband. Husband and I just went and retrieved it as it was close enough for us to just carry it home, albeit with frequent stops. The plan was to put it in the garage temporarily, but our back gate has managed to warp itself into an unopenable position, so the desk is now in the lounge. It needs a clean and new handles but should make a good homework desk for our daughter. My husband quite likes upcycling wood. He may sand and repaint it.

Comment

I finally took out some home contents insurance. It's been a good couple of years, I reckon. I was with John Lewis, and they were great when I lost my glasses, paid out loads really easily. But they didn't auto-renew me. Now as anyone who knows me will tell you, that's a schoolboy error. Obviously I assumed they would, and then realised I'd been without for a few months, and then...well, you know. Forgot, I suppose.

Anyway, now I have deforgotten. And am with Nationwide, who are also my bank (yes yes, I know). And will auto-renew, I'm sure.

Comment

I reckon there are ways to kill people with a single Solero. Stab their eyes out with the stick. Shove the wrapper down their throat so they can't breathe.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                                                    I reckon there are ways to kill people with a single Solero. Stab their eyes out with the stick. Shove the wrapper down their throat so they can't breathe.
                                                    I thought you were some kind of consultant, but had no idea...

Comment

Working...
                                                    X