The homeless don't get winter fuel payments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The homeless don't get winter fuel payments

The temperature is going to dip below freezing every night for the next six days in Lancashire. And barely rise above that during the day. What's the best charity to get money direct to people in need now, given all the covid restrictions and all?

Streets Kitchen are good - maybe this page will help?

https://www.facebook.com/StreetsKitc...41307005884270

Comment

Me and my daughter saw a homeless guy yesterday. All the usual cafes where I'd generally offer food from were closed so we just gave him a tenner. I checked that he knew of the local homeless charity called "Feed Up, Warm Up" which offers food and advice. He said he did, but that like all the local services it's overstretched at the moment. He said he was trying to decide between getting a train back to Luton where he knew some people or then he tried to explain something about needing to have an ID card to get into one of the local hostels. I haven't heard of that before? Is it a thing? He talked about how passports / driving licences are too expensive so he was trying to get something called a citizen card which you can get with just a photo from a photo booth. I've never heard of a citizen card. Either way, a tenner should have helped him with either goal.

I had a chat with my daughter. She'd had a "morals" lesson at school where they'd debated whether to give money to homeless people and one of the boys in her class had raised the possibility of people pretending to be homeless so they could beg for money. We talked about how I thought it was unlikely that anyone who had a genuinely good living situation would be willing to sit on a wet pavement in January in the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post

I had a chat with my daughter. She'd had a "morals" lesson at school where they'd debated whether to give money to homeless people and one of the boys in her class had raised the possibility of people pretending to be homeless so they could beg for money. .
        That boy is growing up in an interesting home environment

Comment

Manchester has a huge homeless problem, but it has an even bigger begging problem, which is linked to a fucking enormous drug problem. Council figures suggest 80% of street beggars aren't homeless. They still need help, obviously, but it's a very difficult situation.

I don't recall the last time I have cash to the homeless, but that's more to do with never holding cash any more. I do offer to buy them something from whatever shop I'm going in. Whether they're homeless or addicts, they can still have a Lucozade and a chocolate bar.

Comment

I also know rough sleepers who have been housed and still gone out on the streets as they've basically been left to it by the system. All they know is the streets, everyone they know is on the streets. They can't get work. I feel for them.

Comment

Groundswell is good on all aspects of homelessness.

Comment

Working...
              X