The Post-Brexit Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eggchaser View Post

Lord Frost attempted to explain the UK's Brexit stance with as much confident intelligence as Lord Percy trying to make polite conversation with Lord and Lady Whiteadder.

I also see the recently ex-MP but newly ennobled Lord Goldsmith has kindly lent his holiday villa to our arsehole in chief.
    Lending it to his ex, too and maybe his offspring. Allegedly.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
      Today's "we don't have the staff!!!" crisis is apparently care homes.
      I think I heard it was taxi drivers.

Comment

It changes daily

Comment

It's making things interesting for language speakers in my work sector for sure, people are being offered managers wages to tempt them...

Comment

John Rentoul has now been reduced to propagandising Policy Exchange and Ray Bassett:

https://twitter.com/JohnRentoul/status/1448628082252947456

Comment

HMG U-turn #34,756:

https://twitter.com/grantshapps/status/1448704860547862532

Comment

Huh, the Beastie Boys joke in that thread has alerted me to the fact that I don't know how to pronounce "cabotage" - in my head I've been thinking cabbage with an "ot" thrown into the middle (as we have a tendency to just look at the beginning and ends of words), but it does seem more likely that it rhymes with sabotage.

Comment

In law, it is often pronounced as it would be in French

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                    In law, it is often pronounced as it would be in French
                    That would be helpful advice, assuming we know how to pronounce it in French.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post

That would be helpful advice, assuming we know how to pronounce it in French.
                      Well, if it's any consolation, I do .....

Comment

I assume what's meant by that is "rhyming with sabotage".

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                          I assume what's meant by that is "rhyming with sabotage".
                          Correct, the two A in the word are pronounced the same btw (as you would with the A in hard)

Comment

In a subject held dear to Farrage
                            There's debate o'er the word "cabotage"
                            Is it spoken as cabbage
                            (Like computer man Babbage?)
                            Or the Beastie Boys' track Sabotage?

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight Shadow View Post

Correct, the two A in the word are pronounced the same btw (as you would with the A in hard)
                              I don't say the two "a"s the same in sabotage. The first is short, the second is longer.

Comment

Yeah, the French would lengthen the first "a" in both.

Comment

As long as the second?

Comment

Saabotaage (the act of nobbling a Swedish-made car; not to be confused with revolvolution)

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                                      As long as the second?
                                      I don't think it would be quite as long, but you'd need a francophone to be sure.

Comment

I'm going to find me one and ask.

Comment

Moonlight Shadow isn't good enough for you?

Comment

The Swiss talk funny. Any true French person could tell you that. Just imagine if TonTon wanted to know how to say 70, 80 or 90?

Comment

The Swiss talk slowly. They've got it right about 70, 80 and 90 though.

I would have the first 'a' slightly shorter than the second. Stress is on the last syllable (sah-boh-TAHJ)

Comment

Originally posted by Etienne View Post
                                                The Swiss talk funny. Any true French person could tell you that. Just imagine if TonTon wanted to know how to say 70, 80 or 90?
                                                I could ask a Belgian.

Comment

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post
                                                  The Swiss talk slowly. They've got it right about 70, 80 and 90 though.

I would have the first 'a' slightly shorter than the second. Stress is on the last syllable (sah-boh-TAHJ)
                                                  We certainly do...altough in my parts of Switzerland we use the same 80 horror than the French (4-20)

On a personal note, i am quite a fast talker...Most French people I talk to for work never notice my Swissness

Comment

All-island trade has grown from €3 billion in the first eight months of 2020, to €4.7 billion in the same period this year. Meanwhile, Irish exports to GB have grown from €7.6 billion to €9.2 billion, with trade from the other direction falling from €10.4 billion to €7.2 billion.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X